looking for some input on this tune up

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

chpcamaro

looking for some input on this tune up

#1 Post by chpcamaro » Wed May 20, 2009 1:25 am

ok here's what i am planing on running i just want to hear what people think depending on what the car runs this weekend i was planing on using the bottle to see what i can run with it
82n 73f 6.5 psi and pulling 10 degrees plugs are ngk 9's also this is a wilson plate
i know i probably don't need to pull that much but figured i would be safer my timing n/a is 38 i was going to run 35 but my engine builder told me to run 38 so 38 it is
thank you
rob
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

supernova

Re: looking for some input on this tune up

#2 Post by supernova » Wed May 20, 2009 5:51 am

Rob,
Your #'s are about a 300 hp system, I'd pull 8 out only. As far as the timing, I would make 4-5 runs with out the nitrous and see just what the motor likes as far as timimg. Your motor may like 32 but the builder said 38. thats a lot of differance. Testing is the best way to know what it needs to run at it's best. I'm not saying 38 isn't the right # I'm just saying know for sure! :thumb:
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Wed May 20, 2009 7:17 am

Sounds like a good place to start. I think you're right about the timing, take at least 10 out since your starting at 38, start dropping pressure till you get a good fuel read and slowly start putting the timing back in it as it wants it. You'll probably end up at 5 - 5.5 psi pretty quick.

chpcamaro

#4 Post by chpcamaro » Thu May 21, 2009 1:42 am

John_Heard wrote:Sounds like a good place to start. I think you're right about the timing, take at least 10 out since your starting at 38, start dropping pressure till you get a good fuel read and slowly start putting the timing back in it as it wants it. You'll probably end up at 5 - 5.5 psi pretty quick.
thanks john yea the more and more i started looking and thinking about what you said about the 9's i think your right so i went with your opinon. also i have been playing around with nitrous master cool program the thing that keeps messing with me is the n/f ratio i figure if i get it around 6 i should be pretty good and safe also i flowed my fuel today and dam the autometer gauge is off for sure by a pound :scratch: i flowed it to 6.5 and my autometer gauge read 7.5 so i guess you can't trust them
well i feel i'm on the right track now tho.
thank you
rob
67 Camaro RS/SS

chpcamaro

#5 Post by chpcamaro » Thu May 21, 2009 2:01 am

supernova wrote:Rob,
Your #'s are about a 300 hp system, I'd pull 8 out only. As far as the timing, I would make 4-5 runs with out the nitrous and see just what the motor likes as far as timimg. Your motor may like 32 but the builder said 38. thats a lot of differance. Testing is the best way to know what it needs to run at it's best. I'm not saying 38 isn't the right # I'm just saying know for sure! :thumb:

hey chris
it should be 249 hp according to nitrous master program it told me to only take out 7 so your close i just felt it would be safer for the same reason john said but yea i am going to make quite a few passes on motor only depending how fast it runs i may not even use the nitrous but i want to make sure it is ready if i want to lol. yea i need to play with timing and maybe even carb jetting before i run the bottle while i am out there because i thought 38 was high but he wants me to start there and atleast he also races he runs a dragster and has always been at the top of his class alot of motor builders have never been behind the wheel just like some chassie builders so i find it hard to listen to them tho but anyways thats why i figured i will follow his instruction plus this might be a combo he has run and knows it. but you are right testing will tell the truth.
hey bill (sc68z28) is meeting me out at the track this weekend well monday so that will be cool hopefully sometime this year i will be down your way with my car well i'll take plenty of pictures and hopefully someone will be taking video's
thank you
robn
67 Camaro RS/SS

supernova

#6 Post by supernova » Thu May 21, 2009 5:24 am

Hey Rob, John's the man! After reading what he wrote it looks a lot safer. Computer tuning don't just love it? thank god you don't have 20 opinions! :smt003 :smt003 One good one, one not so good you only have to choose one. :thumb:

Here's a quick nitrous set up web site just for referance.

http://www.robietherobot.com/NitrousJetCalculator.htm

Let me know how it goes. I will be home all weekend. Having surgery in the morning.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

chpcamaro

#7 Post by chpcamaro » Thu May 21, 2009 8:57 pm

hey chris i hope everything goes well e-mail me and let me know how things went.
i'll be racing monday if it's not to late i'll call you and give you the details.'ll check out that link to
thank you
rob
67 Camaro RS/SS

ERV JR

#8 Post by ERV JR » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:41 am

did you spray it ?

chpcamaro

#9 Post by chpcamaro » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:54 am

no i was going to do it tonight but i wasn't able to get to the track it's killing me i wanna spray this thing i think i have worked out all the bugs so i am ready to do it just need the time now
67 Camaro RS/SS