Cross plates vs. Perimeter plates

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Craig W.

Cross plates vs. Perimeter plates

#1 Post by Craig W. » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:26 pm

OK, here's the scoop:

I'm limited to one fuel solenoid and one nitrous solenoid. I'm not looking to push as much nitrous as I can through the engine since the rings are only gapped for a 450 shot. But I want to maximize power with the best distribution possible. I've currently got a NOS Big Shot plate and very good distribution. I feel I can make more power with either a NOS double cross plate, a Wilson cross plate or a Victor Jr. plate.

But what have you guys found to be true about those plates vs. a Zex or Speedtech perimeter plate?

I found noticeable power when going from a NOS Cheater to the Big Shot plate. The only difference was more holes in the Big Shot. So it stands to reason that a cross plate might do the same. The perimeter plates don't seem to have nearly as many holes in them, so I'm not really leaning that direction.

Lets say the nitrous jet is a 110 and the tune-up has been optimized. What plate would you want on your engine to make the most power?

I don't pay much attention to advertised hp claims, so lets hear some real work experience.

Thanks.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

supernova

Re: Cross plates vs. Perimeter plates

#2 Post by supernova » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:07 pm

The Wlison plate in a side by side comparison with 5 other major brands came out the winner. Here's the stats:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/cc ... ation.html

http://www.wilsonmanifolds.com/content/view/17/35/

Wilson 350 HP Nitrous Pro Flow system is what I have now!!!!
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Craig W.

#3 Post by Craig W. » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:14 pm

I remember that test. I haven't re-read it yet, but seems like I recall them going with the recommended jetting and not optimizing the tune-ups. I'll have to read it again and see if they got the most out of each plate or it they just threw some jets in them.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Craig W.

#4 Post by Craig W. » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Anyone running the Wilson cross plate?
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

supernova

#5 Post by supernova » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Craig, did you read the test article? If so what do you think?

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

Craig W.

#6 Post by Craig W. » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Yes I did. Makes the Wilson plate look promising, but I'd also like to hear from someone that's run one of their cross plates. I trust you guys a lot more than the magazines :-)
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

79 Camaro

#7 Post by 79 Camaro » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Craig W. wrote:Yes I did. Makes the Wilson plate look promising, but I'd also like to hear from someone that's run one of their cross plates. I trust you guys a lot more than the magazines :-)
Those test are VERY bias IMO. They give the best props/results to the company that spends the most $ in advertising with that magazine...

Not saying wilson is not good stuff, because they have some really nice stuff.. I am just saying dont believe 70% of what you see in those magazine test..

If it were me and i was in the market for a new plate.. The FIRST thing I would do is call Steve Johnson at Induction Solutions and talk with him and see what he can fix me up with. We have a guy that runs Mako that went 5.0's on one of his plates and that was on a SINGLE stage i believe.. Because the rules for the class he was running was 1 fuel solenoid and 1 Nitrous solenoid.

Anyways, this is just IMO,
I run a NOS double cross plate with a single set of solenoids and have been more than pleased with it. I went from running 10.50's on the motor to low 9's in the 1/4.

Hope this helps,
Adam
"THE THROTTLE IS THE DEVIL" By Mr. Willis
"ALL I SEEN WAS HOOD!" By Mr. Heard
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:
Total Removal Contracting-Tim Rogers

8secpumpgas

#8 Post by 8secpumpgas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:18 pm

Craig W. wrote:Yes I did. Makes the Wilson plate look promising, but I'd also like to hear from someone that's run one of their cross plates. I trust you guys a lot more than the magazines :-)
I have their plate, it was pretty fat with the squared tune. It went 9.24 at 147 on motor and with 73 jets squared 8.70 at 156. My converter is a little loose for the nitrous. If I was to buy another plate I'd call Steve Johnson.

ytnova

#9 Post by ytnova » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:33 am

I would be calling steve johnson or monte smith and go with whatever each would reccomend. Both guys seem to be able to make any single stage spray bar plate to work very well and both have been tearing up all of the 275 stuff here in the south. I am seriously considering selling my 2 stage speedtech diffuser and running my 275 legal plate all the time. It is one of the edelbrock rpmII plates with a tune up from steve, works awesome!
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

Craig W.

#10 Post by Craig W. » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:28 am

Not knocking Steve or Monte, they have great reputations based on real results, but I'm a doing it yourself type of guy. I can go out and buy the Victor Jr. plate that Steve uses and work on a tune-up until I get it right. Is it cheaper than buying a tune-up? Probably not by the time you add up the cost of testing, but at least it spreads out the expense and gives me more satisfaction.

8secpumpgas--are you using the Wilson single stage plate or a cross plate?

Adam--is the guy running 5.0s using Steve's cross plate or single bar plate?

Anyone have a picture of the Induction Solutions plate plumbed for a single stage setup? Steve's cross plate (Victor Jr.) is fed by NOS and fuel from all four sides of the plate. So its a maze of lines and I'm envisioning a shower head to split it from one solenoid to four lines.

BTW, I have to run one fuel and one NOS solenoid.

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

79 Camaro

#11 Post by 79 Camaro » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:29 pm

He was running the Steve Johnson widow maker plate which is not something you can buy from jegs or summit. It is a double cross plate.

John Heard, correct me if I am wrong on this info.
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:

79 Camaro

#12 Post by 79 Camaro » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:34 pm

Link to the plate Black widow plate..
http://www.induction-solutions.com/prod ... kWidow.htm

Sorry, i got the name wrong and was calling it the widow maker... lol
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:

ytnova

#13 Post by ytnova » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:39 pm

Craig, we have simular rules in place here also, no cross bar plates, no diffuser style plates and no perimeter style plates. Also you are only allowed 1 fuel and 1 nitrous plus one nitrous as a purge only. There is also selenoid size restriction and jet restrictions depending on valve angle. Most of the guys steve sets up are running a Edelbrock RPMII plate which is different then a regular RPM plate. I was limited to a .073 nitrous jet and steve was kind enough to give me some suggestions while he was at the races, so I kinda did it myself as well. I will say that I have been as fast in the 1/8 with this plate as I have been with the diffuser using both stages, so I definetly like it. I know that the fastest nitrous guy in the class has gone 5 teens in a small block ford powered mustang using one of these plates and steves tuneups. I think he gets somewhere in the 500+ dollar range for one of his single stage/single spray bar setups with no bottle, just a plate, noids, plumbing and a tuneup. I think I spent a little over a hundred for just the plate and then I used existing noids and plumbing that I already had.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

supernova

#14 Post by supernova » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:31 pm

I talked to Steve months ago and he wasn't in the mood to help much.. :scratch: I told him what I needed and he realy wasn't intrested in my small system needs.. :scratch:

So I bought a Wilson system and even got a custom tune up to get started with, not the square jetting out of the box stuff..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

427belair

#15 Post by 427belair » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:32 pm

Supernova,
Not sure what the deal with steve was?? I called him yesterdayfor the first time and wasnt thinking about what time it was, it was around 8:30 his time and he answered his phone and was super very nice and informative even though I was asking questions about spraying under a 200 shot. Between our conversation last night and the fact that a racer I pit next to here calls him every time he changes his tune up and Steve answers his calls all weekend long made me want to spend the $150 extra to buy his plate kit.

BTW I have never used nitrous before and am not by any means an internet "nut hugger". If I would have gotten the same customer service previously I would have purchaced from them.