where to put the plate....

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

xdamxincx

where to put the plate....

#1 Post by xdamxincx » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:27 pm

i have seen plate setups with carb spacers underneath the plate and other setups with the plate under the spacers.. i have also seen setups with a small plywood spacer under the plate then bigger spacers on top of the plate..
i use to run the plate above my spacer but my spacer has a vacuum port for my brakes.. so i put it under the spacer and now im thinking it will be seeing high temps compared to being above the spacer.

have any of you guys played with this ? and what were the results ?

julven

#2 Post by julven » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:18 am

I was told by the guy that ported my intake to run the nos plate on the manifold with the spacer on top.Because it would pressurize the manifold better that way.That is the way I run it now and have run it both ways I cant say that I see any differnce but ?.Jason

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:01 pm

Here's my take on it. Most plates have the holes angled to try and direct the spray down the ports, the wilson plate especially tries to do this. If you have it spaced up an inch or two, you may not be directing the pattern towards the runners. Ideally the spray bar would be at such as height to try and line up with the runners in my opinion (vs say hitting the sidewall of the intake or a spacer plate below it). Now it's anybody's guess what this pattern looks like at 8000 rpm moving air & fuel through the intake but I think that should be your goal to line up those streams at the most direct shot you can at the intake valve.

julven

#4 Post by julven » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:15 pm

Sounds good to me Beyond.I like your new aviator the car looks good.I am going have to take some pics to make one for mine.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:26 pm

Thanks.. yes you do need some pics. Let me know if you need any help with it.

sc racing

#6 Post by sc racing » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:06 pm

We all know every engine is different thats why some need no spacer some need 3" or 1" or 2" to increase plenum volume to get a better "signal" to atomize fuel better right? If (and I say if because Im not sure if this is correct) this is true wouldnt you put the plate on top right under the carb so it can mix with the fuel right at the trottle plates ? The thing is if your intake was made already 2" taller you wouldnt even have the choice to put it under a spacer? I dont use nitrious but have helped some freinds with it and I think we always put it under the carb but I cant say we were right.

MOOSE

#7 Post by MOOSE » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:34 am

Beyond is right on with his post. Most every nitrous company out there builds there plates to sit on top of the intake manifold. Believe it or not there have been millions spent on R& D so that it is known that's where the plate goes. Putting spacers on the intake is a band aid for not having a big enough intake on your combo. Unless your running a class that limits your intake options than spacers or not needed really. There is really no measurable difference in performance in most applications if the plate is next to the carb or next to the intake. There are probably exceptions but the main thing is distribution issues. If you want to really maximize everything than put your spray bars in the intake and run them side to side instead of front to back. custom build your spraybars to where they shoot directly down the throat of the runners. On a street application it probably would not be worth doing all this but if your trying shove every little bit of nitrous you can through a motor than distribution has to be maximized or your throwing your money away.

MOOSE :D

Bob West

#8 Post by Bob West » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:51 am

" Putting spacers on the intake is a band aid for not having a big enough intake on your combo."

Along with gaining a little bit on the top end, the spacer also helps keep the carburetor a little bit cooler!!! That is if its phenolic,wood or plastic.
72 Malibu-Nov. '08-1.329-3.995-6.280@106.94-9.988@131.62
best 60ft to date- 1.319
http://www.dragtimes.com/1972-Chevrolet ... -5251.html

sc racing

#9 Post by sc racing » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:55 am

According to Comp Cams the optimum angle to spray is toward the center of the plenum not the runners.Check out the video @ www.zex.com of their perimeter plate with no spraybars

MOOSE

#10 Post by MOOSE » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:59 am

You are right Bob, thanks for bringing that up. I got my head stuck in the racing, all out, heads up mode most of the time.

MOOSE

MOOSE

#11 Post by MOOSE » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:07 am

Well, I'm not going to argue with Comp Cams cause what they are pushing is for street applications. Ponder this SC Racing, how does a nozzle (fogger) work. It's the same principle with a little different approach. If your around some Pro Mods or Outlaw big tire cars that run nitrous study there systems and intakes real close. There is something to learn there. Again guy's my thinking is not street type systems or small tune up stuff. I am usually thinking in terms of big tune ups and multiple kits (stages). I am sharing what I have learned and what i use that works.

MOOSE :D :D

sc racing

#12 Post by sc racing » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:13 am

Im not disagreeing with you MOOSE but I thought we were talking about plates not fogger set ups. Dont get me wrong I dont think I know everything Im just sharing something I saw I thought thats why were all here.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#13 Post by John_Heard » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:16 am

SC - Zex isn't exactly a player when it comes to racing nitrous applications. More of a bling bling deal.

MOOSE

#14 Post by MOOSE » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:18 am

We were talking about plates, I was talking about delivery of the nitrous and fuel coming out of the plate. I didn't mean to come across as being disagreeable I was just throwing out my opinion really. Just throwing an alternative way of thinking out there. Your are absolutely right, we are all here to learn and increase our knowledge. I'm doing the same thing "Sharing"

MOOSE

sc racing

#15 Post by sc racing » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:27 am

Thats cool MOOSE .I know Im new to the site and have been posting a lot of replies I just dont want to come across as a "know it all" because Im definitly not.Thanks guys