Bottle temp & pressure

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

DriveWFO

Bottle temp & pressure

#1 Post by DriveWFO » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:30 am

How much does bottle temp/pressure affect the power of a nitrous kit? I don't have a bottle heater yet and the bottle pressure was only around 650 psi. Would this make it run very rich? My kit is the non-adjustable PowerShot kit.

Any particular bottle heater that ya'll would recommend?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:33 pm

That's pretty low, yes it'll be richer no doubt. It should run a lot better when you get the temps up.

In my opinion the best heater is the one from ARC, they are the manufactuers (private label) for many of the other brands. The one I like is the dual voltage model, it can run on 110vac or 12vdc. That's real handy in the pits or the staging lanes - http://www.archeat.com/

DriveWFO

#3 Post by DriveWFO » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:54 pm

I took a look at the link you posted. That's a pretty neat setup.

How do I mount my bottle pressure gauge when the thermostat is using the same port?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:29 pm

I'm not a big fan of those thermostats/pressure switches, they typically don't keep the pressure as exact as I would like. If you did want to use one you can rig up a fitting to hook it into the main outlet (opening the valve), then just unhook the pressure switch and plug your feed line back in before you go to the staging lanes. That way when you get an extra bottle you can use it easily on both. A lot of people do that on bottles that have no gauge port. Just make sure you don't depend on the thermostat for keeping track on how much pressure is in the bottle, that'll bite you sooner or later.
Last edited by John_Heard on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TE418

#5 Post by TE418 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:08 pm

Im running a nos brand bottle heater with the thermostat deal that measures the bottle temperatue and Im unhappy with it. it works great in the shop and keeps the bottle at 975 psi. but at the race track its a different deal and it didnt work all that great. I think the bottle was hotter than the thermostat wanted to see so the heater wouldnt kick on all the time. I looked into a pressure switch but apparently those are not super consistant either. I took the thermostat out and went to a toggle switch and Ill just watch the guage.

TE418