bracket racing consistency

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

todd2059

bracket racing consistency

#1 Post by todd2059 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:10 am

Consistency means everything to me being a bracket racer. I've installed a nitrous system and am looking forward to this next season. Question is on the heater blanket. Should I:

1. Leave it switched on 100% of the time during the race day to maintain proper pressure, even during run.
2.Switch heater off manually before pass, and then back on after pass, to avoid spikes in charging system.
3.Just turn it on 10 minutes or so before the pass, experience will tell me this amount of time.

I do have a pressure switch at the bottle. Running an alternator. I usually charge battery between rounds, especially when "hotlapping".

Also, is it ok to put blanket over the heater with it in operation?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:56 am

There's a number of ways to do it, but what your after is to heat soak the bottle to your desired temperature/pressure for ideally an hour or so. Bringing the bottle pressure up quickly will not heat soak a bottle, the pressure will fall more rapidly. Having the entire contents of the bottle at the same temperature will maintain pressure better and be more consistant.

This also means launching at the same bottle pressure each time if at all possible. So you will want to heat it to slightly higher than launch pressure, then purge down a little to your set pressure.

Don't forget you need the capability to cool the bottle down also. In the summer they can get too hot sitting in the sun and you'll need to bring the pressure/temperature down some.

I have not found a pressure switch yet that was very accurate. I'm told that the new Carnivore system which is a bottle heater/cooler is very good at maintaining exact bottle temperature. Craig Watson on this board has been testing one this last year and he really likes it.
http://www.dragstuff.com/cgi-bin/dragne ... 1149602392

Craig W.

#3 Post by Craig W. » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:32 pm

The Nitrousaurus-X is a good unit. Perfect for the bracket racer who wants to go fast or the heads-up racing as well. Its THE solution for maintaining bottle temps/pressure consistently.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts