piston damage from nitrous, lean or rich?

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

FARRIGNO

piston damage from nitrous, lean or rich?

#1 Post by FARRIGNO » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:27 pm

:cry: OKguys can somenitrouse experts tell me what the hell happened?IF I'm not burning a hole in the middle of em, I'm burning the valve relief out of em, and pinching the second ring land, and scuffing the skirts, damn this nitrouse shit is eviel stuff!! [ trying to post a pic of my pistons, but their too big ,as soon as i find out how to downsize them I'll post them . also if anyone needs more info I'll type it, thanks.
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

mytmouz

#2 Post by mytmouz » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:27 pm

LEAN!
Trucks are for haulin...

nj

#3 Post by nj » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:53 pm

We need a little more info, but right of the bat I would say its to much timing. Is the piston burn (melted) or did the ring land lift (ie piston is all still there it's just distorted)

FARRIGNO

#4 Post by FARRIGNO » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:47 am

nj wrote:We need a little more info, but right of the bat I would say its to much timing. Is the piston burn (melted) or did the ring land lift (ie piston is all still there it's just distorted)
some are distorted but mostly burned my combo is a pro race fogger 32 32 tune, 10 degrees timing, i was running sunoco hrc type fuel as my track switched i think that might be part of the problem., also one time it burned a hole right through the center of the piston, wich i think is a timing issue any more questions just ask, thanks ...
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:11 am

Your tune up sounds pretty safe if you had enough fuel pressure in it, 5.5lbs or more would be probably real safe. I don't know anything about Sunoco HRC fuel, what octane is it?

Were you always burning the same piston, or the same bank of pistons? Have you ever flow tested you nitrous system?

mytmouz

#6 Post by mytmouz » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:42 am

When I say lean, it may not be the fuel pressure. I started melting electrodes of plugs once. Fuel pressure was fine at the carb and solenoids. I changed ignition boxes and such chasing the problem.It turned out to be a prob with the Dominator. Beyonds suggestion about flowing the solenoids is a good one, cause it may not be passing the solenoids. The timimg could be it also, chasing stuff like that is frustrating... Good luck.
Trucks are for haulin...

FARRIGNO

#7 Post by FARRIGNO » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:46 am

Beyond wrote:Your tune up sounds pretty safe if you had enough fuel pressure in it, 5.5lbs or more would be probably real safe. I don't know anything about Sunoco HRC fuel, what octane is it?

Were you always burning the same piston, or the same bank of pistons? Have you ever flow tested you nitrous system?
hrc is 117 octain i think really can't find info on it on their web site. my fuel pressure was 6lbs flowing through a holley 70 jet ,and yea i changed ign boxes and other things too, my dominator was way lean went up 4 sizes to 96's ! I am hurting the same ones, system is stock out of box, but thats gonna be changed soon!!, checked jets and soft plume nozzels couldn't find any thing.
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:10 pm

At this point I would say pull the intake and do some flow testing on the entire system.

Not sure which nozzles you are using but also read this http://texasmeltdowns.com/FOGGER.HTM

nj

#9 Post by nj » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:19 pm

You said the timing was 10 degrees. Is that the total timing when the nitrous is on or is that how much your taking out? What is your base timing and what type of heads?

nj

#10 Post by nj » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:21 pm

what type of fuel were you using before you switched?

FARRIGNO

#11 Post by FARRIGNO » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:59 pm

Iwas using sunoco nos supreme 117 octain, heads are old brodix bb-2, usually run 38 on motor take out 10, to 12 degrees of timing.
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

Racer704

#12 Post by Racer704 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:26 am

Have you ever made an 1/8 mile pass and looked at the plugs then a 1000' and so on? It sounds safe enough but if you have any kind of fuel or igntion problem it will send it all hay wire. I know this isnt much help, but i would also before I pulled the intake look at all ground and power conections on the solinoids because you could have a broken or loose conection inside the wire close to the terminal also and was your fuel pressure steady going down track?

I have seen pumps going bad and a voltage drop going down track can lean a system out if you have electrical problems too.I know this is alot of stuff to look over but i would check everything related.

Do you run an alt. ?What battery are you using?
Johnny B.

FARRIGNO

#13 Post by FARRIGNO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:20 pm

Racer704 wrote:Have you ever made an 1/8 mile pass and looked at the plugs then a 1000' and so on? It sounds safe enough but if you have any kind of fuel or igntion problem it will send it all hay wire. I know this isnt much help, but i would also before I pulled the intake look at all ground and power conections on the solinoids because you could have a broken or loose conection inside the wire close to the terminal also and was your fuel pressure steady going down track?

I have seen pumps going bad and a voltage drop going down track can lean a system out if you have electrical problems too.I know this is alot of stuff to look over but i would check everything related.

Do you run an alt. ?What battery are you using?
Yes i run a alternator, run a 12 volt batt, am definatly conidering a 16 volt upgrade!! grounds look good but could be a electrical prob. will cont. to look, thanks for the input!
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

FARRIGNO

#14 Post by FARRIGNO » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:11 pm

:D GOOD NEWS...OR BAD NEWS, DEPENDING ON HOW YOU LOOK AT IT tonight when i was at my garage, i was taking apart my fogger, and when i was taking the jets out i found a piece of tefflon tape clogged in the fuel jet!!.. :shock: I"d say thatwas the reason I hurt my #2 piston at the end of the season. It made my 36 fuel jet act like a 20 jet and burned the valve relief area.....Can't wait till this season!!
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

John_Heard
Site Admin

#15 Post by John_Heard » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:24 pm

Well it's good that you found it, but bad you damaged parts. I would suggust using loctite on the nitrous fittings for sealant instead of tape. Like the blue easy to remove type.