Melted switches, help

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

dadnova

Melted switches, help

#1 Post by dadnova » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:37 pm

I have installed relays and still I melt switches. :evil: I was wondering would it work if I ran a large hot wire to my fan and then run the ground threw the switch to turn on the fan. WOULD THIS WORK

sc racing

#2 Post by sc racing » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:56 am

Do you mean still keep the relay and instead of grounding it to the chassis put the ground wire to a switch,or just hardwire a positive from the battery to fan and put the switch in the ground wire?It will give you the same problem if you just ground it.Im not sure how your relay is wired but I would try to keep it and wire it like this :battery + to #30 ground to #85 fan hot to #87, ground the fan to chassis and #86 to switched ignition power.If you have it wired like this already and still melt switches I dont know what could be wrong.Im sure you have put in different relays and switches already.The only thing I could think of is your #30 battery wire has the switch not the #86

sc racing

#3 Post by sc racing » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:01 am

You could try a coolant temp switch instead of a manual one.Lots of different temps available,you would just run your #85 ground to it and eliminate the toggle switch.

dadnova

#4 Post by dadnova » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Hot wire the fan direct and run the ground through the switch.
I found 25 amp switches at car quest and am going to try those for now.