Nitrous activation and timing retard

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

68 Camaro

Nitrous activation and timing retard

#1 Post by 68 Camaro » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:30 am

Hello everybody,
Here is the scoop I have a 68 camaro that I drive on the street, but it seems to be migrating more towards the track with every year passing. My question is this, has any body run the MSD timing retard module with a MSD window switch? My plan is to have a nitrous system that I can turn on or off depending on what I am doing i.e. street or strip. With the system armed, a full throttle switch and a MSD window switch will be used for actually activating the nitrous at specific RPM's (between the low and hi limit), but I want the timing to retard only when the nitrous is on. If anybody sees a problem with this setup, please let me know. :smt104

nj

#2 Post by nj » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:44 am

68 camaro,
that shouldn't be a problem. You will have to use a relay to power the nos solenoids. I dont think the msd window switch provides enough output power to activate the soelnoids.(depending on you nos set up) Ground one side of your nitrous solenoid to the motor and run the other wire to your relay (12 volt output side) ford relays were great. Also to avoid problems with the msd retard, take the wires from your retard box (the ones that control the retard functions) and run them to the same side of the 12 volt output side of the relay. This way one the nitrous is activated it will provide 12 volts to the msd retard and it will retard the motor. When the nitrous is turn off the msd retard box will be ground thru the nos solenoids. The motor will return to your base timing when the nitrous shuts off.
hope this helps
nj

68 Camaro

#3 Post by 68 Camaro » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:06 pm

Thanks for the help. Being new to nitrous, my great fear is running lean. I checked the contact rating of the MSD window switch, it is only 1.5 amp. I will have to use the MSD to switch a relay with a much higher amp rating on the contacts. Since I do not have the nitrous kit yet, I do not know what the solenoids current demand will be.
Thanks again, JPM

jones_performance

#4 Post by jones_performance » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:03 pm

be sure to wire in a throttle switch also so if you have to get out of the throttle the juice shots off imedietly
Kevin

68 Camaro

#5 Post by 68 Camaro » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:40 pm

Basically the plan in to have an arming switch , WOT switch and the window switch controlling a relay. That relay would have the contact rating to handle the amp draw of the Nitrous system. Here is a question, would you add and emergency stop switch in this circuit to kill power to the nitrous system if the control relay contacts welded? Another question is the location of the WOT switch. Where exactly do you mount the switch? Is there a specific orientation that is better? :scratch: Any help is good help, thanks.

John

jones_performance

#6 Post by jones_performance » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:11 am

jegs has a mount, the secondary arm of the carb hits the switch. i would maybe use a throttle switch that can handle the n2o system and run the hot for the solenoids thru the switch maybe? course the contacts on the switch could always weld too
Kevin

DriveWFO

#7 Post by DriveWFO » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:47 am

I'm running a WOT switch from Competition Motorsports. Works perfectly.
http://www.competitionmotorsports.us/nitrous_switch.php

nj

#8 Post by nj » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:54 pm

you could use your arming switch as the emergency shut off. just install the switch between your battery and the power side of the relay. I you have a problem just shut the switch off and the system will turn of regardless of the relay. As for welding the contacts together, if you use a quality relay that should not be an issue. Most likely the nitrous system will only be on for 10 to 15 seconds max. A good relay with the right amp rating should handle that.