switch panel ????s

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

sc racing

switch panel ????s

#1 Post by sc racing » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:25 am

I got a switch panel with lighted rocker switches all the switches will trigger relays except for the momentary starter switch,light switch ( just for gauges), and the ignition switch. (1) Should I fuse the main feed for the panel to protect the switches and lights? (2) should I run the switched ign wire to a fused junction block or just a terminal block ( ign will power more than 1 accessory).Thanks

Bruce69Camaro

Re: switch panel ????s

#2 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:08 am

I ran straight from my kill switch to a custom terminal strip that has each block fused to protect each item, starter, ignition, lights, water, fuel, fan.

Then for accessary's run off of the ignition switch, I also have a few dedicated fused blocks to run those.

So I guess my question to you is, if you already have each item protected by a fuse, would you need one in your main feed?

I have heard of people doing this, but I always questioned why you would need it :scratch:

If you want, I got drawings of my wiring system and you have my email, so if you want to see what I did, send me a message.

Later,

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

chpcamaro

#3 Post by chpcamaro » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:22 am

the main feed you can fuse it i don't but i use circit breakers for all my switches that way i know when something blows and i can reset it if it blows again i know i have a problem and don't have to waste money on fuses this way. i also use a continous duty solenoid in line so i can just shut the car down with the flip of a switch the same way the battery cut off would i feel safer this way
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

sc racing

#4 Post by sc racing » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:54 pm

All the fuse will do is protect the lights on the switches, the loads are protected by the fuses in the relay board the main feed from the battery will have a manual reset curcuit breaker.I dont think I will fuse the switch feed I didnt when the car wired before .
Rob what kind of breakers do you have?

chpcamaro

#5 Post by chpcamaro » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:46 pm

here is what i have done i will get you info on the breakers you can get them in different amps also
sorry it's a old picture
Attachments
circuit breaker.jpg
circuit breaker.jpg (4.07 KiB) Viewed 11456 times
IMG_1069.JPG
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

sc racing

#6 Post by sc racing » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:55 am

Thanks Rob I found those breakers on Bussmanns website I think thats the way to go Ill just make a panel for a few of those.