Heeeelp I need a wiring diagram....

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

gonzo64nova

Heeeelp I need a wiring diagram....

#1 Post by gonzo64nova » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:41 am

I am not good at all with wiring but I can follow a simple diagram with everything labeled. If any of the wiring experts on here know how to wire this it would be a big help.
I want to wire in my trans brake to shut off my nitrous when the throttle is on the floor on the two step. Also I want to be able to throw a switch to keep the trans brake on when I need to back up so I can use both hands on the steering wheel when I back up (my car has a manual box in it and its a little tough to turn) . Thanks for any help. BILL

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Heeeelp I need a wiring diagram....

#2 Post by John_Heard » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:49 pm

There's a few diagrams in the tech section that should help

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/n ... grams.html

wikd69

#3 Post by wikd69 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:29 pm

I used a latching (push on/push off) push-button to lock the TB circuit closed when I want to back up. When I want to launch, I use the other momentary push-button. The transbrake button is often mounted on the steering wheel and the backup toggle switch is mounted in the dash.

I just created this simple diagram to illustrate. I added a master safety on mine because I don't want the trans-brake circuit armed while on the street - too much chance of engaging the dang thing while moving in first gear (that would be ugly). When I need to back up, I flip the master on and then toggle the backup switch.

Mine is actually a bit more complicated than this as I've added a multi-function switch downstream to allow me to use the same circuit for both the transbrake and the rollstop. While in rollstop (linelock) mode, it also energizes the two-step rev limiter for use in the waterbox. It just depends on how many buttons you want to use and how trick you want to get with your wiring. Let me know if you'd like that additional circuit diagram.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

gonzo64nova

#4 Post by gonzo64nova » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 am

John[/b]- thanks for the diagrams but I dont run a window switch or digiset. wikd69- I like the toggle switch idea,I just run two 12 volt inputs to the two switches and then the other two sides together to the TB and leave the one ground wire intact on the TB correct? Then how do I turn on the 2 step and shut the nitrous off when the thottle is on the floor. Sorry for all the stupid questions, I really know zip about wiring... is that becoming obvious? LOL

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:34 am

Give this a shot

mytmouz

#6 Post by mytmouz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:22 am

When you wire up the transbrake solenoid switch, also add an indicator light of some time to let you know it is on. You can/will burn up the solenoid if you leave it on. The bigger the light, the better...
Trucks are for haulin...

Craig W.

#7 Post by Craig W. » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 am

Wire it to switched 12v so that if you leave the switch on, the transbrake will be de-energized when you turn off the ignition.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

gonzo64nova

#8 Post by gonzo64nova » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:32 am

John , Thanks! that is what I am looking for, now to make the 2 step work it needs to be added on the TB side of the momentary switch? I was aware of the TB solenoid getting to hot from prolonged use, I will wire it as suggested to a keyed 12v source, the light is a good suggestion as well. Thanks guys for all your help, I knew I could get some useful info here.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:15 pm

2-step wire to transbrake side of switch would make sense, however I'm not sure what you're hooking up actually.

Also you need something to retard the timing when the Solenoids are on, that's not shown in the circuit either.

gonzo64nova

#10 Post by gonzo64nova » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 pm

John, my 2 step is in my MSD 6AL-2 Digital box ,its a grey wire I think, it just needs 12v to work. As for the timing its just a single plate system (200 shot),I'm going to just retard the distributor the appropriate amount. Less wiring in my old bucket makes me happy LOL. Thanks for your help.