Shift Light

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Shift Light

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:37 am

Does this sound like a stupid idea?

I'd like to mount my MSD shift light on the steel portion of my dash, but I don't want to drill into it.

I thought that I could make a bracket out of 1" x 5" aluminum flat bar, attached the light to that and then use some velcro to hold it onto the dash.

This way if I need to clean my windshield, I can easily remove it and more importantly, no drill holes.

Anyone do this before?
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

supernova

Re: Shift Light

#2 Post by supernova » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:21 am

Yep I'v seen this. And siting in the Texas sun all day at the track I'v also seen the adhesive fail and the shift light end up on the floorboard at the hit. Not a good idea. Why don't you get a roll bar mount and mount it on the "A" pilar down bar of the roll cage, much better place. I turned my shift light off when I installed a electric shiftnoid the my MSD box activates. It shifts on time every time so no need for a shift light. I still do watch the tech though.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Craig W.

#3 Post by Craig W. » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:44 pm

I sold off my good tach and used the fund to help rebuild the car. I'll trigger the shift light with the MSD and just put a cheap tach in it to use during the burnout.

I've always mounted my tach to one of the cluster screws above the climate controls. I'd think a shift light could be mounted there easily too. No drilling required.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Bruce69Camaro

#4 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:40 am

Well, I hate to admit this, but Chris was right. The velcro started to come off the dash, whether it was due to me using armor all on it or the weather released the adhesive, so I came up with a second solution.

I had a very small moly bolt that fit down into the slits, cut out for the speaker and tightened things up and it's now good and tight and if I need to remove it, just loosen the screw.

Thanks....and yes Chris, again, you were right..... :smt002
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

supernova

#5 Post by supernova » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:51 am

LOL! I'm glad it helped. :mrgreen:
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs