Opinions on 16 volt systems? Good/Bad?

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Opinions on 16 volt systems? Good/Bad?

#1 Post by John_Heard » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Due to issues with my alternator which cost me the 2nd round Saturday night and a recommendation from a friend, I'm considering switching to a 16 volt battery setup and ditching the alternator.

I'm looking to get some feedback from someone that is running a car with a lot of electrical load (Nitrous, fans, logger, pumps, etc.) that uses a 16volt system. What kind of amp draw do you have going downtrack? Is it working for you? How quick can you recharge the battery?

Sometimes they hotlap us with only 30-40 minutes or less time to get ready for the next round. I'm wondering if I can recharge a 16 quick enough? Can I recharge and run the water pump also and get it done in say 30 min?

jones_performance

#2 Post by jones_performance » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:54 pm

my brother and his partner switched from a 12 volt system to a 16 volt, but they run an alternator as well. i think they went the powermaster setup, battery and alternator.
the msd ignition alone draws enough amps at rpm to drain a battery during a run, not to mention a 450gph fuel pump and other elctronics.
Kevin

moeraces

battery problem

#3 Post by moeraces » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:41 pm

Hi John, i have mostly always run two batterys , with no alternator , never have had a problem since, i know that you want to save all the weight that u can but ,,,,2 batterys alway worked for me,, i was surprised how much amperage and current,,a 7al-3 , fan& w-pmp and a bg 280 pump took downtrak at hi-rpm till i trained my incockpit video camera on the gauge cluster, ,,,down trak @ 8800 rpm the voltmeter was reading just above 8 volts,,,,,,thats when i went to 2 batterys , haven't had that problem since........weighs a little more, but i think it's worth it .....I used two 1200 c/a gel cells from interstate..........gud luck ''''my vega back half is on the jig,,,, almost complete, welded on the 4-link brackets today, gonna hang the rear friday i hope, she's gonna be a low ride.....may have to install outer tub caps on the quarters to accomodate those huge mickeys....ha ha . meebe some curb feelers on the front it's gonna be so low ,,,Reckon ??? ha ha.....hope u get the battery situation covered....see ya fly-n - moe :D

Racer704

#4 Post by Racer704 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:48 pm

Hey John, the new Powermaster battery is good enough even if you return and only charge it for 10 mins. its still up and if you have a MSD 7531 it doesnt draw but 7amps peak..., your water pump and fuel pumps and nitrous draws more amps then anything and your car probally doesnt draw 85 amps total. One battery will be all you need. Now with 16 volts you will draw more amps then with a 12 volt system and you wont need a alt. either. I know of no one in Pro-Mod nitrous running 2 batterys and its just not needed with the Powermaster setup. Call Jeff for a good price on a charger and battery .

You know Warren Johnson turns his fan off just before he finall stages his car. Dont worry it will be fine..turen it back on after the traps. Hell you know we dont even have water in the engine and we are fine.
Johnny B.

Racer704

#5 Post by Racer704 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:01 pm

Heres Jeffs website but John call him as I have told him to give you my price...www.performancePartsRus
Johnny B.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#6 Post by John_Heard » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:26 am

I do turn my fans off before I stage, then back on again on the return road, seems to work fine - guess there's a least one think I have in common with Warren Johnson 8)

Sounds like the 16 volt deal is the way to go, biggest question I have now is with or without an alternator. Guess I'll try it without first and see how the recharge time is. Remember we can't tow to the staging lanes or on the return road so overall run time is much longer than on a Pro Mod. I did find that I can modify my current alternator with an external adjustable regulator, so I can put that on there if need be. I'll give Jeff a call Monday and get that stuff ordered, thanks for putting in a good word for me Johnny.

Racer704

#7 Post by Racer704 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:10 am

I wouldnt worry about an alt. at all as it doesnt take alot of time to charge this battery...it may still be charging to peak but even if its down some its still 16 volt..When its fuly charged its closer to 17 volts.....Yes it will handle all lthe amp draw also
Johnny B.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:46 am

16volt setup's on order, guess I'll find out soon if it'll work better for me. I hear it's worth a tenth so... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Racer704

#9 Post by Racer704 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:48 am

Well I dont know about a .10 but it does and will change your tune up a bit....so keep that in mind. You will have a hotter spark
Johnny B.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:01 am

The Nova whispered to me that's what it needed to get an 8.6x out of it LOL.. My tune up's headed for uncharted waters here soon anyway, might as well change everything...

The thing that I've been wondering is if the higher voltage will burn out my Neon's under the car?

MOOSE

#11 Post by MOOSE » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:02 am

Dang John you of all people crack me up more than anybody i know. I would be interested in your findings cuz I am very interested in doing this myself. I'll be there to help in October. Will you have everything installed by then???

Can I get those neon lights in red???? Might look pretty hip in the burn out at night

MOOSE :D :D :D :D

John_Heard
Site Admin

#12 Post by John_Heard » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:20 am

Should have it all put in by then, and a wee more nitrous to fuel the fire. Won't get a chance to get out and test before then so it'll probably be interesting.

Yes, they have all colors. Wait till you see my blinky tire valve caps...

MOOSE

#13 Post by MOOSE » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:30 am

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moeraces

#14 Post by moeraces » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:51 pm

Those Dang neons are a lot of trouble John, hard to get e,m to burn , downtrack with all that amp draw ,, thats why i went to lighted curb feelers instead,,,,, chem lights taped onto e,m, looks like a P/o'd, supercharged lightning bug flying just beside urr front wheel, and whee" no amp draw, :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Mike Peters

#15 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:44 pm

Beyond wrote:I do turn my fans off before I stage, then back on again on the return road, seems to work fine - guess there's a least one think I have in common with Warren Johnson 8)

Sounds like the 16 volt deal is the way to go, biggest question I have now is with or without an alternator. Guess I'll try it without first and see how the recharge time is. Remember we can't tow to the staging lanes or on the return road so overall run time is much longer than on a Pro Mod. I did find that I can modify my current alternator with an external adjustable regulator, so I can put that on there if need be. I'll give Jeff a call Monday and get that stuff ordered, thanks for putting in a good word for me Johnny.
Whadda ya mean we can't tow on the return road?