Questions About Strange Front Brakes

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

MMAX

Questions About Strange Front Brakes

#1 Post by MMAX » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:21 pm

I was reading another post in here about Strange brakes. It said Strange moves the wheel in 1/4" while the other companies move the wheel out. I have a '68 Camaro with stock front drums so my questions are...how hard is the conversion from drums to discs, if Strange kits move the wheel in would the brakes fit a Weld Magnum Drag front wheel with 2.25" of backspacing and if I use a Strange master cylinder would it work if I kept the stock rear drums?

sc racing

#2 Post by sc racing » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:51 pm

I posted that thread about the brakes for my 85 firebird I dont know if all applications are the same.I know that Wilwood said their kits will move the wheel out about 3/4".I called Strange and they said it will move the wheel in 1/4",this is due to their 1 piece steel rotor not a multi piece like Wilwood uses.I had a clearence issue with the outside of the tire rubbing the fender with stock brakes so I couldnt move it out anymore.Your wheel shoud fit no problem the calipers are small and positioned correctly for most wheels.You probably want a master clyinder with a bore size of 15/16" or 7/8".

MMAX

#3 Post by MMAX » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:00 pm

My inner fenders are out so I'm not worried about rubbing. I paid a shitload of cash for the wheels and would hate to install the brakes and find out that they don't fit. Did you have any problems with the installation or was it fairly straight forward?

sc racing

#4 Post by sc racing » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:06 pm

Fit perfect my install is more involed than yours I had to cut my spindle, drill and retap some holes.Yours might require redriling and tapping some holes.Ill get some pics and post them tommorow.

79 Camaro

#5 Post by 79 Camaro » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:28 pm

sc racing wrote:Fit perfect my install is more involed than yours I had to cut my spindle, drill and retap some holes.Yours might require redriling and tapping some holes.Ill get some pics and post them tommorow.

I just installed these brakes too and they were a VERY easy install! I am very glad I went with strange. The only snag that I had was that I had to have strange send me a new top mounting bolt for the caliper bracket with the head of it milled down some to clear the rotor. This does not happen on all setups, but it does state it in the directions that it could be a issue and if so call them and I did and they sent 2 new bolt right away! Here are some pics of mine. Hope this helps :D

Adam Wright
Attachments
Copy of IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG
"THE THROTTLE IS THE DEVIL" By Mr. Willis
"ALL I SEEN WAS HOOD!" By Mr. Heard
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:
Total Removal Contracting-Tim Rogers

sunsation540

#6 Post by sunsation540 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:38 pm

sexey wheels oh nice brakes too>> :lol:
make a plan and stick to it !!

79 Camaro

#7 Post by 79 Camaro » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:26 am

sunsation540 wrote:sexey wheels oh nice brakes too>> :lol:
Thanks John! I really like the way it all turned out. I am fixin to get some new slicks soon so I can mount them on the new back rims and set the car back on the ground and see how it sits. I am very glad to hear that you are coming out to play with us this year in mako!

Adam Wright
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:

sunsation540

#8 Post by sunsation540 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:59 pm

well i built the car to have fun with, and bracket racing is ,,well bracket racing. heads up is more fun for sure just wish i could win the lottery so i could aford to be competive.... but we will have fun just the same look forward to seeing you soon adam, nice improvments no the car... john..
make a plan and stick to it !!

sc racing

#9 Post by sc racing » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 pm

A few pics of the brakes on my car.
Attachments
IMG_3242 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3232 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3244 (Medium).JPG

sc racing

#10 Post by sc racing » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:43 pm

Heres a pic of the caliper to wheel clearance on some Wilwoods with a 15x3.5 Dragstar with the 1.75" backspacing
Attachments
IMG_3234 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3235 (Medium).JPG

79 Camaro

#11 Post by 79 Camaro » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:10 pm

sunsation540 wrote:well i built the car to have fun with, and bracket racing is ,,well bracket racing. heads up is more fun for sure just wish i could win the lottery so i could aford to be competive.... but we will have fun just the same look forward to seeing you soon adam, nice improvments no the car... john..
Well you know I must be in it for the fun because I am no were near the top or the middle for that matter, LOl!!!! I am just in it to have fun and hang with my friends. Plus get some seat time and comfortable in racing the heads up stuff. I cant wait til the season gets started!! Look forward to seeing you there too.

Adam
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:

MMAX

#12 Post by MMAX » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 pm

That looks like a pretty tight fit with those Wilwoods. Hopefully with my 2.25" backspacing I won't have any problems with whatever brand I decide to go with. Thanks for the pictures.

sc racing

#13 Post by sc racing » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:56 pm

MMAX wrote:That looks like a pretty tight fit with those Wilwoods. Hopefully with my 2.25" backspacing I won't have any problems with whatever brand I decide to go with. Thanks for the pictures.
Its only a 1/2" more offset,if you look at where the caliper is copared to the outer part of the wheel there is plenty of room it is very close to the inside face of the wheel but that will not change.

sc racing

#14 Post by sc racing » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:56 pm

MMAX wrote:That looks like a pretty tight fit with those Wilwoods. Hopefully with my 2.25" backspacing I won't have any problems with whatever brand I decide to go with. Thanks for the pictures.
Its only a 1/2" more offset,if you look at where the caliper is compared to the outer part of the wheel there is plenty of room it is very close to the inside face of the wheel but that will not change.