Th 350 3rd gear problem??

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

68 Camaro

Th 350 3rd gear problem??

#1 Post by 68 Camaro » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:01 am

Has anybody experienced shifting from 2 to a loss of 3rd like you hit neutral. Here is the scoop. Last night I went to the track with new carb. I pulled a 1.63 60 ft, but when under power the shift from 2nd to 3rd was not there. The motor banged off the rev limit. I did another run thinking that possibly I just misjudged my number of shifts and it ran great. As a matter of fact I went my quickest ever as 11.88 @ 113.5. Mentally I chalked it up to my mental gaff. My buddy drove the car later and the same thing happened to him. He banged 2 gear and lost 3rd. I'm using a B&M ratched shifter and have never had this problem until now.
I have not checked the shift linkage yet, but it does appear to be shifting o.k. I will get a better look after work. If anybody has other thoughts, please let me know.

John
Doing more with less

sc racing

Re: Th 350 3rd gear problem??

#2 Post by sc racing » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:57 am

How old is the tranny?

68 Camaro

#3 Post by 68 Camaro » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:39 am

It's put 2 years behind a 12.8 car. It does get road time, but just for ice cream with the kids. It has a huge by large tranny cooler. The fluid level is right on the mark while idling and warm/hot (I do not have a temp gage). I have not checked the fluid yet, but mid summer is was not burnt and it was clear ( no dirt, clutch material, or metal that I saw ). I doubt that the trans has 3000 miles on it. My motor is making much more power than in the past. I would not think that I'm over powering the trans. I foot brake the car, so no trans brake or line lock.

My positive side thinks linkage adjustment, but my negative side thinks something more sinister.

John
Doing more with less

sc racing

#4 Post by sc racing » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:35 pm

Sounds like shifter/cable adjustment to me also.

68 Camaro

#5 Post by 68 Camaro » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:33 am

I did not get a change to look at the cable last night. I will check it in the next day or two. I will post my findings.
John
Doing more with less

68 Camaro

#6 Post by 68 Camaro » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:03 am

Well the egg is in my face. I looked at the linkage and found that the adjustable pin that connects to the trans. shift linkage was three turns out of position pushing the shifter 1/4 the way in to the next gear. THis was not an issue for first to second, but was enough to push 3rd into neutral. It only happened 2 times, so the problem went un-noticed until track time. I'm sure it happened when we had the motor and trans out last spring. The problems didn't show it face until we were at the track last Friday.
I hope other learn from my ignorance. :nutkick:
Doing more with less

Ls7camaro

#7 Post by Ls7camaro » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:40 pm

I Have a B&M Ratchet shifter, and after I put the big motor in, I and a buddy rebuilt my trans. first time out, car was going good, until I shifted from 2 to 3. I was over excited and hit the shifter way hard, I did it again when I hooked nitrous up, I called B&M tech and he said it IS possible to hit hard enough to push it that far, its a combo of the adjust being a bit out and hitting way hard can skip forward, they aren't bulletproof.
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.