Brake issue

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

mytmouz

Brake issue

#1 Post by mytmouz » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:41 pm

I replaced the unknown master cylinder that was on my truck with a Chrysler style one. I have issues with it that I need advice on. I have little pedal pressure for one. The front brakes are the stock discs, rears are Lincoln style discs. I have no factory proportioning valve, no leaks either. According to the aftermaket brake tech sites, I have the pedal rod angle done correctly. I have repeatedly bench bled the MC, and fluid comes out the bleeder screws on the caliper, pressurewise though, it does not seem like much. Anyone? :scratch:
Trucks are for haulin...

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Brake issue

#2 Post by John_Heard » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:30 pm

First thing might be to get an idea just have much pressure you have at the wheel. Go to the store and get a hydraulic pressure gauge, plumb it into the caliper (I use the bleed port) and see how much you have. 1200 psi is what you should shoot for max without a distribution valve.

dadnova

#3 Post by dadnova » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:49 pm

You may also want to take look inside, I bought one for a labaron and installed it, as the brakes did not work properly I took off and apart only to find that the seal was bad, took the unit back for another one.

I will have to test the new one for 1200psi before installing it.
Gotta plan, spend it before she can, and go as fast as you can.

mytmouz

#4 Post by mytmouz » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:56 am

New master was bad. I installed another (different part #) today and I can stop now...
Trucks are for haulin...

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:29 am

Nice to find an easy solution from time to time!

Just out of curiosity, did you bench bleed this one?

mytmouz

#6 Post by mytmouz » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:04 am

Yes sir. I also bench bled the other 5 or 6 times. Could get fluid flow, no air, but no pressure either. I ended up going with the larger bore one on the master Cylinder parts list you provided. The Edelman adapter fitting part numbers provided on there are wrong, by the way. One number is for 3/16 x 1/4, the other for 3/16 x 5/16. I found one correct fitting at one place, the other at another, but they were out of the bag, and not in the correct drawer, so I can't provide the numbers...
Trucks are for haulin...

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:21 am

Just curious, seems like bench bleeding a rebuilt master sometimes puts the seal in a unmachined area? and hurts the seal. I've heard about that happening.

On those fittings you ended up using, were the part numbers wrong because of the brake line sizes or because of the end that screws into the master? I'd like to find the correct ones because those fittings are such a pain in the butt to chase down.

mytmouz

#8 Post by mytmouz » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Using the numbers provided on the list, the one that ended in 40 was 3/16 -24 line size by 1/4 line size. The other one that ended in 50 was 3/16-24 line size by 5/16 line size. They were in unopened Edelman packages. Unfortunately, the 9/16 and 1/2 adapters were loose in the bins. Could not find a bin with the proper number...
Trucks are for haulin...