Full manual advantage

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

jaspermaggie

Full manual advantage

#1 Post by jaspermaggie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:53 am

I can get a deal on a transmission the only problem is it is full manual. What is the advantage over auto and can I just change the valvebody and go back to auto? It is a limited use car and even more limited use on the track.
My car is not as fast as I think it is.

sc racing

Re: Full manual advantage

#2 Post by sc racing » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:00 am

Ive had several th350's but always went from auto to manual valve body I dont see why you cant go back to auto but you should see what else is done to that specific tranny just in case you cant change it back. I would leave it as is even my Monte Carlo had a 700r4 with manual valve body and it was street only..02

jaspermaggie

#3 Post by jaspermaggie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:41 pm

Do I need to downshift like in turns or at lights, it will have a 3200 stall? Does the manual shift better or hold more tq? Also what kind of clutches do you use? It is a 55 chevy I don't drive much.
My car is not as fast as I think it is.

coony278

#4 Post by coony278 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:22 pm

The trans will be in what ever gear you select from the gear shift. Yes when you come to a stop you would need to pull it back to 1st gear.

I love a manual valve body on the street , gives you control of the shifts.

Not sure what you mean by what type of clutches you use ? There is no clutch pedal if that what you are talking about.
Its still an automatic transmission, it just only shifts when you tell it too.

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:45 am

One of my old th350's was built with a stock type Fram kit about $40 and used a Turbo Action valve body it had no gear braking ( meaning you can downshift and it wont slow the car down) I used this tranny with a 4000 stall in my Camaro @ 3400 lbs on the street a lot and ran low to mid 10's. The th350 I have now has TCI stuff inside and TCI valve body. The 700r4 had red alto clutches with a kevlar band and TCI stuff and v/b. I think as long as its built right it should be fine. You dont need to drive it like a stick car but like coony said you have to start in 1 st. Build it..... you will like it.