Restoring Aluminum wheels for my truck

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

hugger73hatch

Restoring Aluminum wheels for my truck

#1 Post by hugger73hatch » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:37 pm

So I found some wheels for a good deal, but need some work. They have some oxidation and some pits and I am going to try to clean them up and see what happens. This is not a show truck, so I don't need them to look brand new. I found some info on restoring them and wanted to see if others have had any experience doing this:

#
Step 1

Spray the wheels and rims with a hose to remove dirt and brake dust.
#
Step 2

Clean the nooks and crannies of the rims with a toothbrush, then rinse with the garden hose.
#
Step 3

Wipe down the wheels and rims with a clean, soft cloth.
#
Step 4

Rub the rims with an all purpose metal cleaner.
#
Step 5

Use the 500 grit sandpaper to remove any pitted corrosion on oxidized aluminum rims. Continue sanding around corners and edging until the coating of the rims has been removed by the sandpaper.
#
Step 6

Smooth out the aluminum rims with fine steel wool. This will help to remove any scratches left by sandpaper.
#
Step 7

Hose down the rims and dry with a clean, soft cloth. Apply a polish, such as "Flitz Metal Polish," which will deoxidize and protect the aluminum rims
73 Nova Hatchback, 408 Small Block 13-1, Iron Heads, 6.972 @ 98.362, 1.468 60', 3450 lbs, still tuning
28 x 9 Slick, N/A

http://www.esquireservices.net

vegaracer

Re: Restoring Aluminum wheels for my truck

#2 Post by vegaracer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Don't use steel wool. Small bits will get stuck in the aluminum and rust.
I used one of these kits when I did my bike this winter and on some truck wheels that were oxidized fairly bad. The truck wheels look like new now, and they were done using a red rogue only. My be easier than all the sanding, depending on what kind of shape your wheels are in. Post some pics up of the wheels.
Here are the wheels I did, polished on the right before washing off all the polishing crud.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:28 am

If they are really oxidized, you can wash them with muriatic acid - but don't leave it on very long. It'll really cut the grime off but you'll have to polish them.

mytmouz

#4 Post by mytmouz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:41 am

If the rims are really oxidized, you'll want to etch them. I use the Eagle cleaner for non-polished, non-anodized aluminum. This cleaner will turn the surface white. After the clean, rinse, and dry phase, I use mothers, on terry cloth towel. You will be working your ass off on this part. Dig deep, and rub hard,( a buffer, or power ball can also be used) it will take all the white off, and leave fresh polished aluminum behind. Once you get the rim "blacked-out" from the Mothers residue, use corn starch to remove it. I sprinkle it on the rim, and rub it around with my hand. You'll be amazed at how quickly this will remove the "black". After you have the bulk of the residue off use a clean terry cloth towel to spread the corn starch, and remove any remaining residue. This technique is great for cleaning out all the scratches that fill with the "black". When the rim is clean use an air blower to remove all the dust. For a final treatment, I use a product called Cape Cod Polish. It is a cotton wad/cleaner impregnated type product, that smells like bubble gum. It doesn't clean as well as Mothers, but leaves a shiny, protective coat like no other. I apply, and remove it the same way as the Mothers, using corn starch. Clean-ups for the next several months will only require glass cleaner.
Trucks are for haulin...

hugger73hatch

#5 Post by hugger73hatch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 pm

vegaracer wrote:Don't use steel wool. Small bits will get stuck in the aluminum and rust.
I used one of these kits when I did my bike this winter and on some truck wheels that were oxidized fairly bad. The truck wheels look like new now, and they were done using a red rogue only. My be easier than all the sanding, depending on what kind of shape your wheels are in. Post some pics up of the wheels.
Here are the wheels I did, polished on the right before washing off all the polishing crud.

I will get some pics up soon. I have one at my house the other 3 are at my dad's shop. I will try to post some pics this weekend. Those turned out nice. I think this will work for mine. I like how it has all the different pads to get in the nooks and crannies.
73 Nova Hatchback, 408 Small Block 13-1, Iron Heads, 6.972 @ 98.362, 1.468 60', 3450 lbs, still tuning
28 x 9 Slick, N/A

hugger73hatch

#6 Post by hugger73hatch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:43 pm

John_Heard wrote:If they are really oxidized, you can wash them with muriatic acid - but don't leave it on very long. It'll really cut the grime off but you'll have to polish them.
May try this first, I think I have some laying around somewhere. Do you use any abrasive with it or just a terry cloth?
28 x 9 Slick, N/A

hugger73hatch

#7 Post by hugger73hatch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:45 pm

mytmouz wrote:If the rims are really oxidized, you'll want to etch them. I use the Eagle cleaner for non-polished, non-anodized aluminum. This cleaner will turn the surface white. After the clean, rinse, and dry phase, I use mothers, on terry cloth towel. You will be working your ass off on this part. Dig deep, and rub hard,( a buffer, or power ball can also be used) it will take all the white off, and leave fresh polished aluminum behind. Once you get the rim "blacked-out" from the Mothers residue, use corn starch to remove it. I sprinkle it on the rim, and rub it around with my hand. You'll be amazed at how quickly this will remove the "black". After you have the bulk of the residue off use a clean terry cloth towel to spread the corn starch, and remove any remaining residue. This technique is great for cleaning out all the scratches that fill with the "black". When the rim is clean use an air blower to remove all the dust. For a final treatment, I use a product called Cape Cod Polish. It is a cotton wad/cleaner impregnated type product, that smells like bubble gum. It doesn't clean as well as Mothers, but leaves a shiny, protective coat like no other. I apply, and remove it the same way as the Mothers, using corn starch. Clean-ups for the next several months will only require glass cleaner.
Lots of good info here, sounds like ya'll have all been in the same boat. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to give these methods a try. Where can you get that cape cod polish?
Last edited by hugger73hatch on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
28 x 9 Slick, N/A

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Oh, you won't need to scub, just put it in a spray bottle and spray it on. Be ready to hose it off pretty quick. Don't leave it on there.

hugger73hatch

#9 Post by hugger73hatch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm gonna try this first as it is about the simplest. Just kind of a mist on 1 rim at a time and hose it directly off?
28 x 9 Slick, N/A

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Yeah - if you want try it on the back side first so you get an idea how long to leave it on.

hugger73hatch

#11 Post by hugger73hatch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens. I still may get that polishing kit. I like all those rotary attachments, they look like they would come in quite handy.
28 x 9 Slick, N/A

vegaracer

#12 Post by vegaracer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:57 pm

They come in real handy. Did my enitre bike with that kit.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

mytmouz

#13 Post by mytmouz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 am

hugger73hatch wrote:
mytmouz wrote:If the rims are really oxidized, you'll want to etch them. I use the Eagle cleaner for non-polished, non-anodized aluminum. This cleaner will turn the surface white. After the clean, rinse, and dry phase, I use mothers, on terry cloth towel. You will be working your ass off on this part. Dig deep, and rub hard,( a buffer, or power ball can also be used) it will take all the white off, and leave fresh polished aluminum behind. Once you get the rim "blacked-out" from the Mothers residue, use corn starch to remove it. I sprinkle it on the rim, and rub it around with my hand. You'll be amazed at how quickly this will remove the "black". After you have the bulk of the residue off use a clean terry cloth towel to spread the corn starch, and remove any remaining residue. This technique is great for cleaning out all the scratches that fill with the "black". When the rim is clean use an air blower to remove all the dust. For a final treatment, I use a product called Cape Cod Polish. It is a cotton wad/cleaner impregnated type product, that smells like bubble gum. It doesn't clean as well as Mothers, but leaves a shiny, protective coat like no other. I apply, and remove it the same way as the Mothers, using corn starch. Clean-ups for the next several months will only require glass cleaner.
Lots of good info here, sounds like ya'll have all been in the same boat. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to give these methods a try. Where can you get that cape cod polish?
Ace Hardware carries it, at least locally, and I have seen it on Amazon.com...
Trucks are for haulin...

hugger73hatch

#14 Post by hugger73hatch » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:54 am

Ordered ENKAY deluxe kit yesterday. Found it on ebay for 32.95 NIB from a tool store in Ohio. Cost like 9.00 for UPS so still saved some money and should be here probably around Tuesday.
28 x 9 Slick, N/A

hugger73hatch

#15 Post by hugger73hatch » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Got the ENKAY deluxe kit today. Can't wait to try it out this weekend and see what happens. Found it a ebay from TP Tools at 32.95, so I am pretty excited cause I feel like I got a deal.
28 x 9 Slick, N/A