C4 Help.....

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

C4 Help.....

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:30 am

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with the C4?

Thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

badshoe

Re: C4 Help.....

#2 Post by badshoe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Bruce, what's your C4 question?
www.BadShoeProductions.com , automotive instructional repair videos specializing in Ford drivetrains

Bruce69Camaro

#3 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:16 am

My coworker has a 434 hooked to a C4, running mid to high 8's in his Mustang.
He had this tranny built buy a reputable company and built with these times in mind.

They installed a Trans Specialty manual valve body and he had no issues what so ever.

He changed the T/S manual valve body over to a TCI trans brake and has had nothing but troubles since. He has rebuilt it at least four times because the clutches keep burning up on him and he is also blowing tranny fluid out the vent.

TCI told him to run extra tranny fluid because of the deep pan.

After the first few times, he finally sent the trans brake back to be checked at things checked out ok.

There was mention if the first builder did something to the servo, this could be causing the problem and TCI states that a stock servo should be used. From what he tells me, he said the servo looks stock, but is not 100% sure.

He now plans to put the manual valve body back in to see if things clear up and if they do, could it be possible that the original builder may have done some "tricks" to the case and may be causing all these issues?

Anything thing ring a bell to you? Any help would be appreciated. This guy is frustrated.

Thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

badshoe

#4 Post by badshoe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:45 am

It's possible the servo has been modded. If you pull it and find the smaller oring has been removed, you might also find a hole was drilled in the back of the servo cavity. This mod is popular but I've not seen where it really works. I believe there's some transbrake valve bodies that have to have this mod for the brake to operate. You don't want to overfill the tranny, just put the level in the crosshatch, idling in park as normal. Frankly if this is 8 sec. 1/4 mile car, he needs a Powerglide. It seems to me that if there was no problems with the manual VB and the concerns started with the TCI VB, that's where the problem is. However a transbrake does strain the racing tranny alot (raises fluid temp, shocks the output shaft more etc.) therefore if you swap out valve bodies, you might find the tranny is already damaged.
www.BadShoeProductions.com , automotive instructional repair videos specializing in Ford drivetrains

Bruce69Camaro

#5 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:11 am

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to pass it on....

Bruce

ytnova

#6 Post by ytnova » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Yeah, I don't think I would overfill it at all. Usually leads to areation which causes fluid expansion and like badshoe said, the brake is going to add more heat causing the fluid level to grow even more which would compound the issue. Simple enough to test before tearing into it.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.