SLICKS not holding Air

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

Ls7camaro

SLICKS not holding Air

#1 Post by Ls7camaro » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:46 am

Hey all, I finally got eveything ready, I had a set of M/T 28/10.5W's mounted with the appropriate tube and the one is leaking air. Summit told me if it was damaged on install, I am liable, if there is a pinhole, they'll cover the replacement. Is there any known problems mounting the slicks, this is not the first time something like this has happened.
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.

Bruce69Camaro

Re: SLICKS not holding Air

#2 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:30 am

I used to mount tires with tubes and no matter how hard you try to be careful, it sometimes just doesn't matter.

I've also seen the area around the valve stems damaged during inflation of the tubes, so it possibly could have happened when they were installed?

Or another thought if your using rim screws, one of the screw tips could just be through the bead and damaged the tube?

Can I ask why you are using tubes? I mounted my goodyears back at the begining of the summer and I just checked them and they are still holding the same amount of air.

Coat the sidewalls with dishwashing detergent, a not to sound "weird" but I read a posting once that Palmolive is the racers choice.

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Ls7camaro

#3 Post by Ls7camaro » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:50 am

Thank you Bruce. I think I will go to the tire shop and take the tubes out, one is good one isn't, I don't run rim screws. There is a sleeve in there that wasn't tight, so Last night, I tightened both valve stem pieces and set the air at 20lbs, I'll check it after work today. if they are bad, then I will try the one without the tube. I know I have read before that John doesn't run tubes and he goes realistically 3.5 to almost 4 seconds faster than me. Do I need the rimscrews? Last time I had the car out it ran 12.001 at 110.46 mph, I went with a shorter / wider tire. I was running a 28.5 x 10 x 9 that someone gave me and they where pretty much gone.

Any input is welcome, I am going to shoot to go to Dragway 42 in West Salem Ohio this Sunday.

Bruce69Camaro

#4 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Even though your running 12's, and you probably don't need rim screws, I was told by an engineer at S&W, they are just cheap added insurance.

In fact one racer that is very popluar to our site and many others, states you don't need them at all and he was running 10.0/ 9.8's with no issues.

It's probably up to each individual though.....

Good luck,

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

wikd69

#5 Post by wikd69 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Bruce69Camaro wrote:I used to mount tires with tubes and no matter how hard you try to be careful, it sometimes just doesn't matter.

I've also seen the area around the valve stems damaged during inflation of the tubes, so it possibly could have happened when they were installed?

Or another thought if your using rim screws, one of the screw tips could just be through the bead and damaged the tube?

Can I ask why you are using tubes? I mounted my goodyears back at the begining of the summer and I just checked them and they are still holding the same amount of air.

Coat the sidewalls with dishwashing detergent, a not to sound "weird" but I read a posting once that Palmolive is the racers choice.

Bruce
Dawn dish soap :)
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

sc racing

#6 Post by sc racing » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:36 pm

I think if you run tubes you should screw the tire or you might rip the tube but I wouldnt run tubes.

Ls7camaro

#7 Post by Ls7camaro » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Ok, so I think I am going to have both tubes taken out, do I just need normal valve stems? I am so itchin to get this machine to the track, I am 5 months too late but going to get there this year.

Bruce69Camaro

#8 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:45 am

After a certain speed you will need to switch to steel ones so you might as well just do it now and be done with.

Here are one's made by Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1957/?rtype=10

Bruce

CDR Performance

#9 Post by CDR Performance » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:38 am

Ls7camaro wrote:Ok, so I think I am going to have both tubes taken out, do I just need normal valve stems? I am so itchin to get this machine to the track, I am 5 months too late but going to get there this year.

Autozone has bolt in stems (pair) for about $5.
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

http://www.cdrperformance.biz

bracketracer

#10 Post by bracketracer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:02 am

I have also used Slime.. Smear it around and let it dry...

Never had run tubes...Way easier to balance, but do run rim screws as like other's said it's more for safety to keep the bead from coming off...

BracketNova

#11 Post by BracketNova » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Bruce, your so well informed :roll: .

Seriously though, I used a little 'Hi-Tac' around my beads. It was something I was put on to from a friend that read about it on an inferior forum ;) It cut down my leaks quite a bit. I used soapy water to diagnose. Suprisingly I have to spots on the side wall of one tire that have a tiny pinhole. This causes the tire to go flat in a couple days. The other tire will stay up for a couple weeks.

If you run tubes you need to screw the tire to the rim or else you risk the tire moving on the rim and pulling the valve stem off. My friend didn't realize this, so I told him he better mark his wheels. He said the tire moved a little over an inch in one night.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

Ls7camaro

#12 Post by Ls7camaro » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:24 pm

GUYS, Thank you all for the help, this is the first time my Camaro has been out in 5 years. The car ran a best of 11.87 @ 112.89 was the best et of the day with a 1.6151 60', best light of the day was a .0001 against my neighbor that went with me. Best MPH of the day was 113.31 with a 11.9464 and a 1.7181 60'. So I am a little confused why my MPH was up on some of my slower ET runs and I was all over the place shifting and checking/double/triple checking everything. I have a few ideas, I need to lower my car all the way around, its setting high. I was running the slicks at 18lbs of air, and the rancho shocks at the #5 setting. I was nervous in the AM, forgot my plug wrench, timing light. But I got 8 passes and a great tan, met some great people. Any suggestions are always welcome. 454 / th350, 10bolt (moser completely redid the 10bolt, and narrowed 2"), new M/T 10.5W x 28. it has a 4.10 gear(that should have been a bit more). I was shifting between 6200 / 6400. and went through the traps around 6000. the cam is good to 6500. Comp LS6 plus Grind. I have some old LS7 Pistons and the LS7 Cam, thinking about swapping that in for next year, give me more compression and some more cam. I also know that everyone seemed to slow down when the sun came out. So I am thinking of going to a dyno and tuning the car, and then go from there. I am hoping to go 11.50's on the setup I have.