Rear end length question

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

JSutphin

Rear end length question

#1 Post by JSutphin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:31 am

Im installing 9'' housing ends on an 8.8 and Im trying to find out a specific length. I'm using the Strange late model big Ford housing ends and Wilwood rear disc brakes.I want to know the distance between the mating surface of the housing end to the axle face, where the rotor and wheel will mount. This is a necessary measurement for me to know to get the width I want.

I apologize for the rough descriptions above. If I just ordered my axles I would be golden, but I dont want to order a set and then send them back out to be cut and/or resplined after the fact because I suspect I will be cutting off 1 - 2 inches per side. And will that this length change manufacturer to manufacturer? Or a standard ?

Joe

CDR Performance

Re: Rear end length question

#2 Post by CDR Performance » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Depend on the brakes. There are several spacings within the same brakes depending upon set up.

Since you have hat and rotors you need to measure the spacing and then order axles.
The typical Torino spacing is 2.5 for disc and 2.75 for drum but you have Wilwoods..............
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

http://www.cdrperformance.biz

JSutphin

#3 Post by JSutphin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Correct if me if Im wrong here. So i need to measure the thickness of the rotor hat and add that to 2.5" ?

wikd69

#4 Post by wikd69 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Here is what I drew up when I put new ends on my 12-bolt and hung the new Aerospace disc kit on it.

Wilwood should be able to tell you what the offset needs to be between the end of the axle and the face of the housing end. In this case, for the Aerospace brakes I was hanging, it was 2.75". Once you know that, you're gold. Of course, knowing how wide your new wheelbase is, what backspace on what rims for what size tires, all of that is required, but once you've mapped this stuff out, you can determine any of your dimensions.

Your mileage, of course, will vary. Hope this helps :mrgreen:

1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

JSutphin

#5 Post by JSutphin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:30 pm

The diagrams are a big help. Thank you.

JSutphin

#6 Post by JSutphin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:54 pm

Just wanted to get opinions about my findings. Now let me say, I got these parts from my father's project that just never materialized a few years back. Now, Im trying to put them to good use.

Brakes - Wilwood ProStreet #140-2274 (found no record of this part #) box is labeled with Big Ford (doesnt list late or old style) / 2.36 offset

Housing Ends - Strange part# H-1135 Early B.F. style

What Im asking myself now is, for axle length. Do I calculate for the 2.36 offset or is there additional clearance I need to account for?
And, for total width I need to account for the brake offset and say the .25" on each side for the rotor hats ? is that it ?

wikd69

#7 Post by wikd69 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:48 am

JSutphin wrote:Just wanted to get opinions about my findings. Now let me say, I got these parts from my father's project that just never materialized a few years back. Now, Im trying to put them to good use.

Brakes - Wilwood ProStreet #140-2274 (found no record of this part #) box is labeled with Big Ford (doesnt list late or old style) / 2.36 offset

Housing Ends - Strange part# H-1135 Early B.F. style

What Im asking myself now is, for axle length. Do I calculate for the 2.36 offset or is there additional clearance I need to account for?
And, for total width I need to account for the brake offset and say the .25" on each side for the rotor hats ? is that it ?
Hit this site for information on the brakes, offsets and what not. Look down in the second table on the page.

http://www.revolutionbrake.com/wilwood_rear_pro.html

What axles are you going to use ? Rather, who's axles ? Moser, Strange, other ?

I'm betting that if you have your housing length, know the offset for the brakes, and whether or not the pumpkin is centered, calling your vendor of choice would be the answer. I'm sure Moser, Strange, etc., field these questions every day and they could tell you pretty quickly what your axle length should be.

my 2c...
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm