Tranny Cooler Mounting

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Tranny Cooler Mounting

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:43 am

Does anyone see a problem with this idea.

It was pointed out to me that the current location of my tranny cooler may not be in the best location.

I'd like to mount it to the bottom of the radiator support, using two, 1" x 1/8" pieces of bar stock that are bolted to the support.

I got two conerns, the first one, I plan to run a #12 machine screw bolt through the cooler and then through top hole of the bar stock into a hole in the radiator suport. There will be two pieces of bar stock. Will these two bolts be sturdy enough to hold the cooler? Of course, the bottom side of the cooler will also be bolted to the bar stock.

Second, I plan to mount the cooler around the middle of the support and it hangs down a little. I know it will be out of sight due to the valance panel but do you foresee any problems with tying the car down on the trailer because of this location.
I might hang down 4" to 5" from the radiator support.

Anyone think this will be a problem?
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

wikd69

Re: Tranny Cooler Mounting

#2 Post by wikd69 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:34 am

Bruce69Camaro wrote:Does anyone see a problem with this idea.

It was pointed out to me that the current location of my tranny cooler may not be in the best location.

I'd like to mount it to the bottom of the radiator support, using two, 1" x 1/8" pieces of bar stock that are bolted to the support.

I got two conerns, the first one, I plan to run a #12 machine screw bolt through the cooler and then through top hole of the bar stock into a hole in the radiator suport. There will be two pieces of bar stock. Will these two bolts be sturdy enough to hold the cooler? Of course, the bottom side of the cooler will also be bolted to the bar stock.

Second, I plan to mount the cooler around the middle of the support and it hangs down a little. I know it will be out of sight due to the valance panel but do you foresee any problems with tying the car down on the trailer because of this location.
I might hang down 4" to 5" from the radiator support.

Anyone think this will be a problem?
I don't quite get what you're describing - what sort of trans cooler are you using ? The pix below are what I did to mount the cooler in front of the radiator core support - this works well and keeps it out of the way. Dunno if this helps...

1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

Bruce69Camaro

#3 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:45 am

Hey Harry,

Check your PM
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

ytnova

#4 Post by ytnova » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:45 pm

I put mine in the back where the fuel tank used to be, small fan on it, works fine. Nothing better than moving weight rearward.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

luv454

#5 Post by luv454 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:53 pm

Most guys around here that run in the 1/8th mile don't even use one they just loop the trans cooler line. They say it doesn't even run long enough or far enough to need one. Street car definitely needs one.

Bruce69Camaro

#6 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:06 pm

The tracks that are around me (Maple Grove, Cecil, Beaver Springs) are all 1/4 and I figured that between running around in the pits and down the track and back, I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Last thing I want is to finally get my car done and take it to the track for the first time and waste a tranny. Would not be a good scene :pissed:

I did end up mounting it up front like I was talking about, worked out pretty good.

Bruce

wikd69

#7 Post by wikd69 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Bruce69Camaro wrote:The tracks that are around me (Maple Grove, Cecil, Beaver Springs) are all 1/4 and I figured that between running around in the pits and down the track and back, I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Last thing I want is to finally get my car done and take it to the track for the first time and waste a tranny. Would not be a good scene :pissed:

I did end up mounting it up front like I was talking about, worked out pretty good.

Bruce
Replied to your email - better late than never :smt003
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm