Suspicious noises...

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

wikd69

Suspicious noises...

#1 Post by wikd69 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Just as I got back to the shop nite before last I started hearing some metallic noises from up front. Methinks I may be in the middle of swallowing a lifter.

Hey, this is what happens when you run these spring pressures and cam profile on the street...

I'm hoping for the best...

Stay tuned <g>
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

wikd69

Re: Suspicious noises...

#2 Post by wikd69 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:27 am

That suspicious noise was #6 exhaust lifter self-destructing. It looks like it just powdered the needle bearings in the roller - thats gotta be some unreal stress and pressure to do that. So far, thats the only issue I've found, but I haven't yet pulled the rest of the lifters from the block. Still pulling the blower and intake, etc. For certain the cam has to come out for polish. I'm hoping that one failed roller lifter and a cam polish is the extent of the damage. We'll see.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:43 am

Ouch, that sucks. What brand were they? First time you've had problems with them?

wikd69

#4 Post by wikd69 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:11 am

John_Heard wrote:Ouch, that sucks. What brand were they? First time you've had problems with them?
CompCams Endure-X - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-819-16/

This is the first time I've used them. Combo track and street use. It's likely I caused this though, or at least contributed to the problem - blipping the throttle pretty hard off idle, that has to have been when the lifter started to fail, under that immediate and extreme ramp pressure and rpm spike. I didn't actually hear it until sometime later, when the dang thing was chewing up the remaining needles in the roller. Rob warned me about this and like an idiot I didn't pay any attention. You'd think these higher end rollers would stand up to anything you do with the motor, but I guess everything has a limit.

I haven't gotten a real clear view of the cam lobe yet, just with my remote video scope - it looks like it might be ok with just a polish, but I'll know more when I get it out on the bench.

wikd69

#5 Post by wikd69 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:31 pm

OMG.

I just priced a set of Isky Red Zone EZ-Roll bushed roller-lifters. :shock: Geez Louise.

But everybody is telling me that they are the cats meow...

And, that I should'nt stuff these needle rollers back in the motor...

Hmmmmm...

John_Heard
Site Admin

#6 Post by John_Heard » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:47 am

I've had good luck so far with the Crower Hippo's in mine. I've heard mixed things about the solid wheel lifters, not really sure what the general consensus is on those right now?

wikd69

#7 Post by wikd69 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:06 pm

John_Heard wrote:I've had good luck so far with the Crower Hippo's in mine. I've heard mixed things about the solid wheel lifters, not really sure what the general consensus is on those right now?
Two sources recommended the Isky EZ-Roll bushed solid rollers - a buddy running two big-cube, 8 second Mopars (spinning both up into the high 9K rpm range) and the local motor builder I work with here in Sacramento (Rex Hutchison). They both avoid needle roller lifters because of the failure rate they've seen and both recommend the Isky setup. The going price I've found for the Red Zone EZ-Roll bushed lifters is around $950 for the set - that was the OMG in my last post.

So I'm not yet sure what to do with this issue. My original intent was to pull and polish the cam and replace the one failed lifter but now I'm hearing that there's no way to tell if any of the other (now) used lifters are marginal. Yippie.

If this were strictly a track motor my use of the Comp Endure-X needle rollers would likely have been ok. However, with the extended wear and stress I put on them running both street and track I guess I'll have to expect this sort of event to occur. My problem now is what I stuff back in the motor. I don't want to drop another $1500 in the motor (new lifters + pushrods) but I also don't want to be here again in 3 or 6 or 8 months down the road with the same problem.

Crumb.

Any thoughts from the group ?

supernova

#8 Post by supernova » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:47 pm

IMO your better off with the needle bearing lifters for the street. In rotorcraft we do not use bushing type bearings do to wear. Everything we use is needle or roller for reliability and longevity. Harry, I think the lower priced needle bear lifters will work just fine. Now with that said, driving on the street with a solid cam motor like you do means you need to check the your valves every 100 miles or every 2 weeks what ever comes first. Solid roller lifters are not ment to bounce off of the cam. You now see what happens when they do.
Now quit crying about it, it's just a broke camaro! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs