Shifter Arms

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Shifter Arms

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:51 am

Ok, I'm going a little crazy over this crap, so hopefully some of you can help me?

This whole issue with my shifter adjustment got me worked up. The shifter adjusted just fine when I installed it, all we did was rebuild the tranny and now the shifter won't adjust properly.

I finally got it down to where I went against the instructions and listened to fellow racers and they told me to adjust the cable with the shifter and tranny in neutral. This worked for 1,2,N,R but it will not fully engage into park and in fact, I have to put it into neutral to start the car, it won't close the switch when in park.

So people claim it could be the two piece arm that B&M supplies and that I should use a one piece arm. Ok that's fine but whose's arm will work with a Pro Ratchet?

Another person thinks it could be the rooster comb........

Anyone have any suggestions on this? B&M is no help and in fact, I found out this is seems to have happened to a lot of other guys but I really never got a decent answer on what the problem was?

I don't like the feeling I get when I try to shift the car into park. You can feel the cable fitting you when you go to push it.

Thanks
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

supernova

Re: Shifter Arms

#2 Post by supernova » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:08 pm

Hey Bruce,
I hav a B&M two peace in my glide and don't have problems. Does the plate that bolts on have 4 holes? If so the cable end should be in the 2nd one down and you should adjust the cable withe the trans in low gear if it's a standered shift, in high gear if it's a reverse shift. That's how I did mine with no problems.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#3 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:34 pm

Chris,

Here is what I have,

There are four holes, the one on the very top is "H" for Hurst, the #1 hole is the one on the left of "H", the one on the right of "H" is #2 and the one on the very bottom is "T" for Turbo Action.

Holes #1 and #2 are made for B&M shifters.

B&M says my shifter, Pro Ratchet, is to be in #1.

Is this the hole you are talking about or hole #2 because I was told to see if I can use the #2 hole.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

supernova

#4 Post by supernova » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm lifting the car up tonight, I'll look at it and let you know which hole. I don't remember my shifter flange looking like that but I could be wrong. I'll look at it..........

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#5 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 am

I jacked mine up last night and started all over, and got things just about where I like it, but it still needs a little tweaking.

I'm able to use the hole in the arm that B&M recommends, which is #1.

supernova

#6 Post by supernova » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:11 am

Ok good. I haven't worked on mine yet. Busy painting my house.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#7 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:42 am

Yeah well, if I would be driving a Nova, you'd be up helping me fix things....but that's ok, I got it taken care of.

I'm trying to get my wife to drive it so I can take a video of it. She said she would like to do a burn out just to pissed off the neighbors! Scarey thing is, she would and probably do a better job than me.

Gotta love that idea :thumb: