Chasing a Leak....

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Chasing a Leak....

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:41 am

I got a tranny leak and can't figure out where it is coming from.

It's on my P/G and it's leaking at the front passenger side corner of the pan. Thinking it might be the O-ring on the dipstick, I replaced that and that is dry. I then saw a small leak on the one cooling line fitting, so I tightened that and that is dry. Then thinking it was the factory pan, I put on a new cast pan.

My coworker suggested to put some thread sealant on the bolts going into the front pump, so I did. I thought this was the problem because you could see some moisture on the bolt heads and now they appear to be dry.

Well I thought everything was fine, until I looked under the car this morning and there is was, a small puddle on the ground and some tranny fluid coming down from the pan.

Like I said, it's only on the passenger side, front conrner of the pan, where it's leaking at.

Any thoughts? Could it be the O-ring around the front pump?

Here is something my coworker just mentioned. He told me that some of the pan bolts go into the case and the fluid might be leaking down through the threads, so I'm going to put some paste on the bolts and see what happens.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Chasing a Leak....

#2 Post by John_Heard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:53 pm

Kinda hard to guess at that, you're going to have to clean it off real good and get under there and look close. If it's just sitting there leaking it's probably the pan as that's the only place that should have oil in it.

wikd69

Re: Chasing a Leak....

#3 Post by wikd69 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:27 pm

I've seen pan gaskets wick oil and cause a non-stop drip.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm