Powerglide tail housing leak

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

BracketNova

Powerglide tail housing leak

#1 Post by BracketNova » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:11 pm

Hey everybody

Is there another seal inside the tail housing of my powerglide that would be causing it to leak fluid between the yoke seal and the yoke. I've replaced that seal and it has managed to make a little puddle over the winter.

I didn't have this problems until I got a new driveshaft made. The new yoke had a vent hole which it leaked from, so we plugged it. That slowed things down but fluid still escaped around the yoke. I figured I needed to replace that yoke seal...but apparently that was not the fix.

Thanks
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

ytnova

Re: Powerglide tail housing leak

#2 Post by ytnova » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:09 pm

No, the only seal in the tailshaft is the one you see at the end. I would be checking the tailshaft busing inside the tailshaft, if they get a little worn or egg shaped form your original driveshaft being out of balance, it can cause the seal to leak. I actually had one on my th400 spin, come out and slide down the yoke causing the seal to leak. I would of never knew it came out until it started leaking. It is a easy fix and easy to check, remove the driveshaft, then the tailshaft housing and inspect and/or test fit the yoke inside, it should be snug and not wobble around. The yoke should not be scored either. A new bushing and seal are only a couple of bucks and you should be able to pick one up from any good parts store.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

BracketNova

#3 Post by BracketNova » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Cool thanks, it's a pesky little leak that has been driving me nuts.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#4 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:29 am

I just went through this with my glide.

I replaced the tail shaft housing seal and then I did few other things, one put the tail shaft housing on our belt sander and trued up the end (going to the case).

Then I realized I also installed the O-ring the wrong way.

I put it on the housing first and then slid it on, but I was told to slide the O-ring over the output shaft support first, then put on the housing.

I also used some Loctite 592 on the bolt threads.

So far, no more leak.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch: