street tires that bite.............

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

sixty_foot

street tires that bite.............

#1 Post by sixty_foot » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:11 pm

any suggestions on a non radial street legal tire that bites ? i need to seriously improve my launch....but i am restricted to dot street legal tires to run.i currently am running "american racer" tires....need to get some more bite.
speed..... is how fast you hit the wall,
.....torque...... is how hard you bounce off

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:53 am

How about the Mickey Thompson ET Street Tires? Those are DOT stamped and have two tread grooves.

#3 Post by Guest » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:42 am

hide your traction control...thats the ticket..then you can run almost any decent tire and go fast..if you think i'm kidding just steal a winning "radial" race car and figure out how they did it..

run the 7531 box..run as equal side/side as you can with as much rear bias and you can hook anything you want...

are not american racer tires for oval track cars?..i think we ran those in the dirt..a regular bf goodrich would work better in a straight line

jacobgiles

#4 Post by jacobgiles » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:07 am

what kind of box are you talking about? is that compliant with the rules?

sixty_foot

#5 Post by sixty_foot » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:25 am

are not american racer tires for oval track cars?..i think we ran those in the dirt..a regular bf goodrich would work better in a straight line

you are absolutely correct on the american racer tire being an oval tire.
that was my stab to use a softer compound tire that had tread. some of the guys hear swear by them , and the local speed shop really seems to feel that they work well. i, myself, feel i can do a little better.

i originally had the bf goodrich........they broke loose real easy.
speed..... is how fast you hit the wall,
.....torque...... is how hard you bounce off

John_Heard
Site Admin

#6 Post by John_Heard » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:36 am

He's talking about the slew rate feature on the MSD 7531 box, it lets you set a rpm curve that the motor can accelerate at. If the RPM per second rate exceeds your parameters you can turn the engine limiter on to control wheel spin. It works, but I'd recommend a full data logger setup to be able to see what is going on and to set the curves up. It's a $800-$900 ignition box.

Radial T/A's are too hard to hook up well, American Racer should be better with the soft compound tire. We used to run those when we were racing IMCA modifieds, the soft compound tire is real soft, but no match for a Mickey Thompson ET Street tire.

Another option that some of the "street radial" not drag radial guys used to use around here is a throttle stop like they use for bracket racing. Only lets you accelerate at a certain speed that you can tune. That works, I've seen a local guy use on of those to run 10.70's on regular type 275x60 radial tires.

#7 Post by Guest » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:54 am

you betcha..the bfg's are hard tread, but the sidewalls are better than the am-racers..and its the sidewalls that are making the radial cars fast, not the tread compound..you can "modify" your tires with several track preps usually reserved for circle guys again..they can really soften the rubber up some....i just threw the bfg's out as an example..there are several jap tires that are quite soft tread with good sidewalls...

jones_performance

#8 Post by jones_performance » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:51 pm

the mickey thompson et street radials hook very well, there are some cars in the pacific street car assosiation running low 8's on a 275-60-15. for non radial the et streets are good, so are the hoosiers.
Kevin

top gun motorsports.

tire spin (no traction)

#9 Post by top gun motorsports. » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:11 pm

well you might want to check in getting your suspension parts right that could be some of your problem. also tires could be the other problem. bf goodrich tires can hook there are many people running them, there good for second cars just like the mickey thompson tires but your suspension has to be dialed in with that tire. theres alot to do to get a tire hook hard. its not as easy as buying a tire and putting it on and lets go. its just like a carburetor you have to tune it to your application. i hope this helps you. my e-mail address is onecodyss@bellsouth.net if you have any other questions. thank you have a great day, and good luck.