Brake Question

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

gmracing355

Brake Question

#1 Post by gmracing355 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:19 pm

I just changed my brakes on my 72 nova from a all drum setup to areospace discs in the front and drums in the rear with a 72 nova 1 1/8 bore master cylinder. The pedal is solid but there is no brake pressure to hold the car against the converter at the line. I noticed on the brake pedal there is two mounting holes for the brake pedal push rod. Mine is mounted in the top but should it be in the lower hole for more pedal ratio to help with pedal pressure???? Help,lol
Greg

sc68z28

Re: Brake Question

#2 Post by sc68z28 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:17 pm

gmracing355 wrote:Mine is mounted in the top but should it be in the lower hole for more pedal ratio to help with pedal pressure???? Help,lol
Greg
Greg, I'm pretty sure the top hole gives you the most leverage, I'd leave it there.
A smaller bore master cyl would give you more line psessure.

---Bill.
68 Camaro, 380ci, Procharger, G-force 5 speed, EFI, 7" 2 disc clutch, best ET 8.69 @159
Best 60' vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLzx5jBo4w

dadnova

#3 Post by dadnova » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:37 pm

I agree with Bill as far as the top hole,
Top hole more pressure due to leverage
Bottom hole more volume, less pressure
I disagree though on a smaller bore, I don't see how that will increase pressure much, if at all.

My thoughts are this, did you also install a proportioning valve?? Remember, Drum brakes take more fluid then Disk brakes, you now have two types of brakes, the booster does not know it, nor can it adjust for it.
Just my thoughts.
Gotta plan, spend it before she can, and go as fast as you can.

sc68z28

#4 Post by sc68z28 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:49 pm

Here's a good read on brake lever and master sizing.

http://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.aspx

---Bill.
68 Camaro, 380ci, Procharger, G-force 5 speed, EFI, 7" 2 disc clutch, best ET 8.69 @159
Best 60' vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLzx5jBo4w

ccjohn2

#5 Post by ccjohn2 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:59 pm

When I had the stock GM disc brakes on the front and stock drums on the rear I was able to get away with the smaller bore master cylinder. Now that I have aerospace front and strange rear discs I had to go to the larger bore master cyl because of the extra vol need to push the pucks out. You may need to increase your bore size also. CJay
WISDOM IS USUALLY ASSOCIATED WITH OLD AGE BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE OLD TO BE WISE.