Drag racing log book software

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

key

Drag racing log book software

#1 Post by key » Wed May 19, 2010 11:34 am

This started out for my own use but I've decided to let anyone use it who wants to. Basically it's a site that lets you log all of your runs and then analyze them to determine how you are performing. It's simple for now but if reception is good I will continue development on it and add features. The site is 100% free to anyone who wants to use it, and sign up only takes a minute - http://www.racerslog.net.

The site is new so if you run into issues, have a comment, or would like to see some new features, please use the "Contact Us" page and let me know. I will implement any new features that are in high demand and can add fields to the entry screen relatively easily. For instance someone on another forum requested D/A calculations and now there is an automatic feature that will fetch the weather conditions at the track you were running and fill in humidity/temp/pressure and D/A (you can still enter your own values if you want, though).

It is also compatible with smart phones (iPhone, Android phones), so if you have cell coverage at your track you could enter data into the site immediately after a run.

First shot is of the "Performance Report". This is basically a report of your performance over a given time period. You pick a date range and the site generates the report based on your runs within that range. In addition to what is shown in the screenshot there are graphs on this page that show your 1/4MPH & ET and your 1/8MPH & ET over the date range (so you can tell if you are improving):

There are also custom graphs available. For instance, you could generate a graph that shows your 60' time relative to your 330' time. Or you could see how your times differed based on which lane you ran in. For example here is a graph showing how the back half MPH gain progressed through the range:

Here's another I think would be useful - it is the 60' time based on the launch RPMs (although the same RPM was used throughout the day on this graph):

Screen to enter run data (like I said more fields can be added if they are requested - already added shift points, and opponent interval times):

Mods - I apologize if this is out of place. I have posted this on a couple other forums and the users liked it, so figured I would post it here.

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Drag racing log book software

#2 Post by John_Heard » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 pm

That's pretty cool...

Why don't you take a minute and introduce yourself?

key

#3 Post by key » Wed May 19, 2010 1:15 pm

Sorry, probably should have done that first. My name is Zach Smith and I'm from Louisville, KY. Not a huge drag racer but have been into the car scene for a while. I'm a software engineer and work at a local bank.

The car I drive is a '03 Mustang Cobra with a couple small mods, about 470 to the wheels - nothing too crazy. The idea for the software came to me while racing at the local 1/8th mile a couple weeks back. I had a stack of slips and wanted a way to track my progress (or lack of progress!). Did some research and found some really good software, but most was way above what I needed and cost $. So being a software engineer I decided to make my own.

Now if I can get my car to hook up I'll be all set. Just got some 17x4.5 Greg Weld Dragstars and some ET Streets - hopefully that helps out! Pretty excited because I'll be dropping around 75-90lbs by using that setup at the track vs my street wheels/tires.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Wed May 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Welcome to the site Zach - I'll play with your log book deal when I have some time.

BTW: You ought to submit it to our Racing Directory for a bit more exposure

http://www.dragstuff.com/racing/Computer/

key

#5 Post by key » Wed May 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks for the tip - I will do that.

Let me know what you think after playing with it. I'm more than willing to work on new features if they are needed.

Thanks,
Zach

supernova

#6 Post by supernova » Wed May 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi Zach. Welcome to the site.
I did sign up to check it and on my work computer the screen did no show up fully. I will check it out on my laptop when I get home. It looks like it will be very helpful.

Who's data base is the info stored on? And what happens if it's lost?
How about program for the user to store his own info on his own data base, would that be possible?
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

key

#7 Post by key » Wed May 19, 2010 3:43 pm

The data is stored locally on my web server (which is in a hosting facility, not at my house). I am going to implement a back-up option soon that will allow the users to get an export of all of their data via a CSV file which would be able to be opened by Excel or any text editor. That way if for whatever reason my database goes down (hasn't ever so far) the users will have their data.

There are currently no plans for a version of the software that would be installed on individual PCs. However if the demand is there I might look into that.

As far as your issue with the screen, let me know if it isn't looking right to you and I'll work on getting the issue resolved.

Thanks!
Zach

BracketNova

#8 Post by BracketNova » Wed May 19, 2010 11:00 pm

I started making one alot like that myself...I just got busy and never got around to the graphs. So, I'll just use yours ;)

A feature mine had...tho' I never got around to using it. I auto incremented certain things like # of passes on trans, engine, engine oil, etc on each run entered so I could easily keep track of them.

If you don't mind me asking, what service did you use to get the weather data?
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

key

#9 Post by key » Thu May 20, 2010 12:26 am

Great idea on the auto increment of runs on components! I'll look into getting that in there.

The weather data is gathered from several different sources, one is wUnderground.org. Elevation data is gathered from Google.

I would rather not use Google for elevation but I can't seem to find a reliable listing of elevations for all tracks. I know DragTimes.com has a list but I don't want to steal it, and even if I did, I know some of the elevation data is off. So I'll stick to Google for now.

Thanks for trying out the software!
Zach

key

#10 Post by key » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:03 pm

Due to some requests by users the following fields have been added and can be tracked on each run:

Timing
Carb. Jetting
Fuel Pressure
Length of Burnout (in seconds)
Injector Size
Duty Cycle

Still working on auto incrementing component usage.

Thanks,
Zach