trailer roof leaks HELP !!

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

gary m

trailer roof leaks HELP !!

#1 Post by gary m » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:27 pm

hi, i have a trailer with a few leaks in the roof.i will have to replace 3 ceiling panels.i noticed a lot of small holes on the roof, so i guess that i will have to apply a roll on type of roof sealant.several people have told me about cool seal sold at lowes, and i was wondering how well this works,and will it bond to the silicone sealant around the roof vents and anyother places that silicone/rtv sealant was applied by the trailer mfg.
the website for cool seal really does not say if there product bonds to silicone/rtv. any input or pro/cons on using this product would be helpful.
THANKS gary m

Craig W.

#2 Post by Craig W. » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:23 pm

I'd like to put some sealer on the roof of my trailer as well. So if anyone has any good info, let us know.

Thanks.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

mytmouz

#3 Post by mytmouz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:32 pm

We removed the ceiling panels in my friends cart trailer, and thoroughly cleaned the top and bottom of the roof. We applied a roll on bedliner material on both sides and cool sealed the top over the bedliner after it dried.
Trucks are for haulin...

Craig W.

#4 Post by Craig W. » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:53 pm

I don't have any leaks but the roof is starting to peel a little at the edges so I think I better do something before it gets to the point of leaking.

Thanks for the info. The bedliner stuff is a good idea.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

drummondracing
Location: Colonial Beach VA If I am not at home or the track then I am probably at HOOTERS

#5 Post by drummondracing » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:38 pm

cool seal should work fine I redid the roof on my rv and have had no problems since and it seems to be sticking to the silicone just fine
74 chevy luv 355 sbc bracket car
70 Nova SS bracket / t.n.t car.
(Yes REAL SS 396 DISCS 12B0LT ETC)

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE 68-74 NOVAS

TOO MUCH IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gary m

#6 Post by gary m » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:17 pm

hi, thank you for the info.would a 5 gal pail of this be enough fo a 38 ft goose neck trailer?? how much prep work? would you be able to prep and apply sealer in one day? THANKS gary m

drummondracing
Location: Colonial Beach VA If I am not at home or the track then I am probably at HOOTERS

#7 Post by drummondracing » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 pm

I would get 10 gal just in case I used almost 5 gal on the roof of the rv and that is only 26 ft but I did put it on thick I just took a wire brush and cleaned the flaking paing and a red scotchbrite on the rest and absolutely one day shouldnt be a problem although at 38 ft you might want a couple of 90lb friends to help scuff
74 chevy luv 355 sbc bracket car
70 Nova SS bracket / t.n.t car.
(Yes REAL SS 396 DISCS 12B0LT ETC)

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE 68-74 NOVAS

TOO MUCH IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!