You and your ride... Post it here get to know everyone...

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Mike Peters

Re: You and your ride... Post it here get to know everyone...

#826 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:34 am

Hitchcock wrote:Good tp have another on the team. But I gotta ask, does anyone else on this site run a vette? Or am I going it alone?
What kind of rear suspension are you going to use in this "Vette" thing? :lol:
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Hitchcock

#827 Post by Hitchcock » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:42 pm

Mike Peters wrote:
Hitchcock wrote:Good tp have another on the team. But I gotta ask, does anyone else on this site run a vette? Or am I going it alone?
What kind of rear suspension are you going to use in this "Vette" thing? :lol:

I have 9 in ford, with a nodular housing and a Competition Engineering 4-Link. But, I've been toying around with the idea of buying an competition fabbed housing, and a strange aluminum center section. It's an ass load of cash, but the benefits are definately there. I will be a few hundred in an old housing any way. The mild steel is 459, and the chrome moly is 550. But they are really slick componets.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

Mike Peters

#828 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:03 am

Hitchcock wrote: I have 9 in ford, with a nodular housing and a Competition Engineering 4-Link. But, I've been toying around with the idea of buying an competition fabbed housing, and a strange aluminum center section. It's an ass load of cash, but the benefits are definately there. I will be a few hundred in an old housing any way. The mild steel is 459, and the chrome moly is 550. But they are really slick componets.
I assumed it was going to be a 4 link if you weren't going to get crazy and try to use the stock IRS. Those Vette's don't have much room underneath them to build stuff and a short bar 4-link is almost mandatory. Yeah, the sheetmetal housings are now affordable enough that it's hard to justify building up a stock housing if you're just getting started. Some of the factory housings aren't always square either. I'd like to come by and see it sometime as you gain some progress. Is it going to be a bracket Race car?

Hitchcock

#829 Post by Hitchcock » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:16 pm

Yeah that will be cool, I'll buy the beer. We are actually having a few friends over on sunday afternoon. The grill will be hot and the beer will be cold! If you come, you had better like dogs, because I have seven. And they all love attention. I need to get the car into the shop to get the suspension work started. As far as a bracket car, yeah. I figured I will spend the first summer just getting the car dialed in at the track. As soon as I am comfortable with it I will start running in the local points brackets. The good thing is I live only a few miles from the track. So I can drive it in, and drive it home. I also want to run it in the true radial class at K.I.R. That is a heads up class. I have seen low tens to mid elevens win that class, depending on who shows up. Either way, I'm ready to get started on somne real work to get this thing ato the track!
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

Mike Peters

#830 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Hitchcock wrote:Yeah that will be cool, I'll buy the beer. We are actually having a few friends over on sunday afternoon. The grill will be hot and the beer will be cold! If you come, you had better like dogs, because I have seven. And they all love attention. I need to get the car into the shop to get the suspension work started. As far as a bracket car, yeah. I figured I will spend the first summer just getting the car dialed in at the track. As soon as I am comfortable with it I will start running in the local points brackets. The good thing is I live only a few miles from the track. So I can drive it in, and drive it home. I also want to run it in the true radial class at K.I.R. That is a heads up class. I have seen low tens to mid elevens win that class, depending on who shows up. Either way, I'm ready to get started on somne real work to get this thing ato the track!
Can't make it this weekend but, sounds like you've got a good party plan. Thanks for the invite. We'll schedule the Vette viewing at a later date.

Hitchcock

#831 Post by Hitchcock » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:20 pm

Yeah, it's not to impressive yet anyhow. Just an dusty old vette with a mild small block. I'll get with ya after the chassis and rear suspension is done. The moltor is complete and running on a test stand, but it's at dads house. It will be fun to introduce it to the neighborhood when I bring it home.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

Moparious Maximus

#832 Post by Moparious Maximus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:46 am

Hello Drag racers,

Im new here at this site, I've been reading through here and I like what ya got goin. Thought I would join in and try to see if I can learn a few things, or help some people out if I can.

My name is Larry Grenko, me and my Dad built a '63 Plymouth about ten years ago and it just keeps getting faster. I bracket raced a few years at the local track, now I pretty much follow the Nostalgia guys around Index racing. We run the 8.5 index even though the car will run a 8.2, it makes it a little interesting.

We also built a SBC front engine dragster my cousin drives, he runs the 8.0 index but next year it might be in the 7.50,
'63 Plymouth, Straight axle, Leaf springs, Drum brakes, 31x10.5wx15 Rears 3215lbs
Best time to date 7.99 @ 170 mph
572" Wedge 8-71 @ 28% OD, ALKY, Glide, Dana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-xzFWHtFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfyZSw59R_o

vegaracer

#833 Post by vegaracer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:11 pm

Welcome Maprious Maximus. My brother had a front engine dragster last year too. Ran 8.30's
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

wikd69

#834 Post by wikd69 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:54 am

Moparious Maximus wrote:Hello Drag racers,

Im new here at this site, I've been reading through here and I like what ya got goin. Thought I would join in and try to see if I can learn a few things, or help some people out if I can.

My name is Larry Grenko, me and my Dad built a '63 Plymouth about ten years ago and it just keeps getting faster. I bracket raced a few years at the local track, now I pretty much follow the Nostalgia guys around Index racing. We run the 8.5 index even though the car will run a 8.2, it makes it a little interesting.

We also built a SBC front engine dragster my cousin drives, he runs the 8.0 index but next year it might be in the 7.50,
Man, I love that ride, even tho it's a Mopar <g>

Welcome to the site, lots of good folks here :)
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

Moparious Maximus

#835 Post by Moparious Maximus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:00 am

Thanks for the welcomes, even though this is Chevy turf. ;)

They will all run hard if you throw enough money at them. :thumb:
'63 Plymouth, Straight axle, Leaf springs, Drum brakes, 31x10.5wx15 Rears 3215lbs

wikd69

#836 Post by wikd69 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:25 am

Moparious Maximus wrote:Thanks for the welcomes, even though this is Chevy turf. ;)

They will all run hard if you throw enough money at them. :thumb:
I have a buddy back in Omaha who is building a new nostalgia gasser, a 57 Chevy with a tilt front end, using all original steel body parts, drop tube front axle, Olds rear-end, a 392 hemi with an old Ford TopLoader 4-speed behind it. He originally started out intending to put a tunnel ram on it with a couple of period-correct dual-quad Carters but has started looking at an old original 671 blower, one of the original converted blower housings. I can't wait to see what he ends up with, he is an absolute master at design and build. He has a 57 Chevy street car he built, did all the body, interior and drive train work himself - his father talked him into taking it to World of Wheels in Detroit (I think it was Detroit) in 2007 or 2008, the 50th anniversery of the 57 Chevy. Chevrolet liked his car so much they put it up with a handful of other 57's on the central rotunda showcase at the event. If I remember correctly, Tom won best of show with his 57 (I think that was the award). With his attention to detail and the way he builds stuff, I can't wait to see how his new gasser turns out. It'd be pretty wicked to match him and you together come the day. I don't think though, that he's shooting at the kinds of times you're turning with that mad mopar :mrgreen:

Moparious Maximus

#837 Post by Moparious Maximus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:35 pm

Well we weren't always that fast, its first year it ran 11.7s then the next year it was 10.5s a couple years later it was 9.9s then it got a big motor and ran 9.2s

This is our first year with a huffer puffer and holy hell am I impressed, I never expected it to run anywhere near 8.2 but slowing it down just doesnt seem right to me. :scratch:

Moparious Maximus

#838 Post by Moparious Maximus » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:43 pm

We were in Bowling Green, KY for the goodguys nostalgia deal. The car really liked the cold weather, we ran a 7.99 @ 169.98 My first 7.

wikd69

#839 Post by wikd69 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 am

Moparious Maximus wrote:We were in Bowling Green, KY for the goodguys nostalgia deal. The car really liked the cold weather, we ran a 7.99 @ 169.98 My first 7.
I can't even imagine that sort of ride... My little street machine is quick, but nothing like that. Very nice times :thumb:

I gotta get you hooked up with my buddy from Omaha, tho he won't be running that fast either. :smt002

John_Heard
Site Admin

#840 Post by John_Heard » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:22 am

Welcome to the site Larry - neat write up on your car in MoparMax!! And congrat's on your first 7 second pass!