You and your ride... Post it here get to know everyone...

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

wikd69

Re: You and your ride... Post it here get to know everyone..

#1201 Post by wikd69 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 pm

And it gets even better. Or worse, maybe. Sorry Hitch.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

Fat 56 F100

#1202 Post by Fat 56 F100 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:21 pm

Bruce69Camaro wrote:Ok Team Camaro, take care of buisness for me, at 3:30 I'm offically on vacation until Monday.

I'm taking a trip to Texas to look at a primered Nova with a 572 in it........Yeah Right :smt075
I have tried to warn you about them people from texas.....All joking aside good luck have a safe trip and send back pictures.

Bruce69Camaro

#1203 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:26 pm

Fat 56 F100 wrote:
Bruce69Camaro wrote:Ok Team Camaro, take care of buisness for me, at 3:30 I'm offically on vacation until Monday.

I'm taking a trip to Texas to look at a primered Nova with a 572 in it........Yeah Right :smt075
I have tried to warn you about them people from texas.....All joking aside good luck have a safe trip and send back pictures.
I was just poking fun at my buddy Chris (SuperNova) when I made that comment bout going to Texas.

I couldn't afford his motor alone, heck I have enough troubles affording my Camaro.

I got a big bash to throw for my daughter's graduation so no road trip here.

But all joking asside, this is what makes this site fun, a good bunch of guys with a good sense of humor. We all love the sport and whether you drive a chevy, ford, mopar (well maybe not rice cars) we all are here to try and help each other out.

But just don't refer to yourself as Special Ed.....that won't fly!

Later guys.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Phantom

#1204 Post by Phantom » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:09 pm

Greetings, everyone!  First time here, so I thought I'd stake my claim on Team Camaro!

My names Erik, I live in Iowa but work has me either in LA or NYC, so since it's next to impossible to work on my cars in the city, I split the difference and got a nice home on the range.

So to the important stuff...what do I drive:

I just got a new work truck, which isn't a huge deal until you need something to take to WalMart at 3am.

Then I have my daily drivers, my 2nd Camaro ('10), and my first car out of college, '06 SSR.

Then comes the fun stuff, the weekend rides.  One is a '70 El Camino SS396 (numbers match, not much can be done to it), the other a '63 Galaxie 500 (to show that I'm not completely bowtie bias).

The last car, the first one you see in the above picture, is my reason for being here.  It's my first car, I got it in '94 when I was 12 years old, and I've been working on it ever since.  A 1973 Camaro.  The above picture was taken in '98 right after my first attempt in the paint booth...but that was long before digital cameras were common, so he are some more recent, clearer pics =).

I've realized that my car doesn't comply with some of the IHRA/NHRA rules, so I thought this would be a good place to consult with people who might have some solutions. I'll get to those later, but until then, I look forward to getting to know everyone!
48v

mytmouz

#1205 Post by mytmouz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:57 pm

Nice rides...
Trucks are for haulin...

Bruce69Camaro

#1206 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:03 am

Welcome to the site Erik....

Nice Camaro's....Ops did I say CAMARO'S

I'd like to know more about the second gen car. Looks like a fun ride, but NOT that the 2010 Camaro isn't a fun ride...
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

supernova

#1207 Post by supernova » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:31 am

Nice!!!!!!
Welcome to the insanity, Bruce can show you the ropes. :mrgreen:
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

wikd69

#1208 Post by wikd69 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Phantom wrote:Greetings, everyone!  First time here, so I thought I'd stake my claim on Team Camaro!

My names Erik, I live in Iowa but work has me either in LA or NYC, so since it's next to impossible to work on my cars in the city, I split the difference and got a nice home on the range.

I've realized that my car doesn't comply with some of the IHRA/NHRA rules, so I thought this would be a good place to consult with people who might have some solutions. I'll get to those later, but until then, I look forward to getting to know everyone!
Erik,

Welcome to the group. Lots of good folks here, lots of information available. :thumb:

How serious are you in regards to the track ? You can have a lot of fun with minimal (relatively speaking) cost, but it all depends on how fast you intend to go. From the looks of things, you have a pretty serious foundation to work with, with the back-half and the 572. I just went through a pretty significant transformation with my ride but I was shooting for single digits. At that level, things get a bit more complicated. If you're looking at staying at 10.0 and above on the track, life is a lot easier.

Harry

Hitchcock

#1209 Post by Hitchcock » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:19 pm

wikd69 wrote:And it gets even better. Or worse, maybe. Sorry Hitch.

Harry, WHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY

Thats worse than If I emailed you a buncha Nova's beating up on Camaro's! Thought we were pals man... :x
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

Blade

#1210 Post by Blade » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Yes.....More Camaros.
1967 Camaro

Hey I gotta 9 sec car, in the 8th! lol

Jegs
Mike Curley Racing
Capital Raceway
Maryland International Raceway

wikd69

#1211 Post by wikd69 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Hitchcock wrote:
wikd69 wrote:And it gets even better. Or worse, maybe. Sorry Hitch.

Harry, WHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY

Thats worse than If I emailed you a buncha Nova's beating up on Camaro's! Thought we were pals man... :x
Hey, it happened in a whole different country. It was probably bad petrol. :roll: ;)

And the whole 'Nova's beating up on Camaro's' thing ? That could'nt happen so no worries :thumb:

And I was wondering how long it would take for you to notice the vids :mrgreen:

Phantom

#1212 Post by Phantom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:41 pm

wikd69 wrote:
Phantom wrote:Greetings, everyone!  First time here, so I thought I'd stake my claim on Team Camaro!

Erik,

Welcome to the group. Lots of good folks here, lots of information available. :thumb:

How serious are you in regards to the track ? You can have a lot of fun with minimal (relatively speaking) cost, but it all depends on how fast you intend to go. From the looks of things, you have a pretty serious foundation to work with, with the back-half and the 572. I just went through a pretty significant transformation with my ride but I was shooting for single digits. At that level, things get a bit more complicated. If you're looking at staying at 10.0 and above on the track, life is a lot easier.

Harry
Well, I'd definitely like to take it to the track, but I'm not sure on how to pass inspections. For one, there's no door handles (big mistake on my part...I know), so I'd like to find a way around that little rule. Secondly, I'm not sure if my cage is legal. It was installed long before I got the car, and it was only bolted to the floor/trunk pan (it's since been fixed, so don't worry...we've superglued it to the frame), so I doubt whoever installed it ever really considered it a functioning safety cage, which makes me question it's wall thickness. Those two alone make me think I'd be turned away at the door. As far as times...I don't know what to expect. I'm not planning a career change so 10+ doesn't bother me...for now =).

But, it's the 720R, so it needs race fuel, which means it won't be a common cruiser (without messing with the timing, anyways). I got a T56, which makes it a little more streetable, but 6 gears is a lot to go through in around 10 seconds. And there's other stuff I need to worry about (the tires are about 12 years old, seats don't fit, need to patch the firewall, no brakes yet, etc), so track time might have to wait another year. But, I hope to at least have it started soon, and after that we can duct tape buckets down for seats and at least take it to town.
48v

wikd69

#1213 Post by wikd69 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:51 pm

Phantom wrote:
wikd69 wrote:

Erik,

Harry
Well, I'd definitely like to take it to the track, but I'm not sure on how to pass inspections. For one, there's no door handles (big mistake on my part...I know), so I'd like to find a way around that little rule. Secondly, I'm not sure if my cage is legal. It was installed long before I got the car, and it was only bolted to the floor/trunk pan (it's since been fixed, so don't worry...we've superglued it to the frame), so I doubt whoever installed it ever really considered it a functioning safety cage, which makes me question it's wall thickness. Those two alone make me think I'd be turned away at the door. As far as times...I don't know what to expect. I'm not planning a career change so 10+ doesn't bother me...for now =).

But, it's the 720R, so it needs race fuel, which means it won't be a common cruiser (without messing with the timing, anyways). I got a T56, which makes it a little more streetable, but 6 gears is a lot to go through in around 10 seconds. And there's other stuff I need to worry about (the tires are about 12 years old, seats don't fit, need to patch the firewall, no brakes yet, etc), so track time might have to wait another year. But, I hope to at least have it started soon, and after that we can duct tape buckets down for seats and at least take it to town.
You prolly should consult the NHRA rulebook. It'll tell ya what you need to do with scatter shields, cage, wheel studs, axles, drive line loop, etc. Most of it is pretty commonsense stuff but might require you to do some parts swapping. If you have questions about specific stuff I'm betting someone here can provide answers.

As to street cruising your 720, you might want to look at using a water/methanol injection system on the top end. That can help with detonation and helps to effectively raise your octane levels at combustion. That might be a bunch cheaper than running race fuel on the street. Take a look at Snows, they make a good water/methanol injection system, though there are others out there as well.

Phantom

#1214 Post by Phantom » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:32 am

wikd69 wrote:
You prolly should consult the NHRA rulebook. It'll tell ya what you need to do with scatter shields, cage, wheel studs, axles, drive line loop, etc. Most of it is pretty commonsense stuff but might require you to do some parts swapping. If you have questions about specific stuff I'm betting someone here can provide answers.

As to street cruising your 720, you might want to look at using a water/methanol injection system on the top end. That can help with detonation and helps to effectively raise your octane levels at combustion. That might be a bunch cheaper than running race fuel on the street. Take a look at Snows, they make a good water/methanol injection system, though there are others out there as well.
Yeah, I have the 2011 Rulebook, and I know I'm in spec for things like Shields, Studs, Axels, and Loops. I know my door handles don't work with their plans, and I'm unsure about the cage (is there a way to find cage wall thickness, without drilling?).

I've been reading up on the Snow systems, and it looks to be a very interesting, and somewhat inexpensive solution to the octane problem...with the benefit of added HP when using the race fuel. Do you (or anyone else here) use one? I've read concerns that if you drive it without the fluid it can really screw things up, and although I won't be driving it back and forth to work, I'd hate to realize I was depleted somewhere between strip and home and have to resort to rubbing alcohol or washer fluid. Also heard on a PSA that meth is corrosive (with some pretty nasty pictures to prove it), I'll be doing more research, but any hands-on experience with this type of application would be appreciated (as I'm not really concerned with how it effects your Audi or Peterbilt).
48v

wikd69

#1215 Post by wikd69 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:59 am

Phantom wrote:
wikd69 wrote:

Yeah, I have the 2011 Rulebook, and I know I'm in spec for things like Shields, Studs, Axels, and Loops. I know my door handles don't work with their plans, and I'm unsure about the cage (is there a way to find cage wall thickness, without drilling?).

I've been reading up on the Snow systems, and it looks to be a very interesting, and somewhat inexpensive solution to the octane problem...with the benefit of added HP when using the race fuel. Do you (or anyone else here) use one? I've read concerns that if you drive it without the fluid it can really screw things up, and although I won't be driving it back and forth to work, I'd hate to realize I was depleted somewhere between strip and home and have to resort to rubbing alcohol or washer fluid. Also heard on a PSA that meth is corrosive (with some pretty nasty pictures to prove it), I'll be doing more research, but any hands-on experience with this type of application would be appreciated (as I'm not really concerned with how it effects your Audi or Peterbilt).
You could find a local chassis shop in your area and ask them to assess your current cage - knowing that they may well use it as a vehicle to sell you a *new* one :smt003

Another option would be to ask your local NHRA guy to come by to check your cage. They use a sonic tester that will read down to just a few thousands of an inch to determine wall thickness. They will typically charge for a home visit tho.

And yet another option would be to hit your local track during big events. There will typically be an NHRA presence around to address testing or chassis cert questions during competition. You could corner one of those guys and perhaps get them to give your ride a quick once-over.

Bill Unruh uses the Snow system I think. He's running a sweet 68 Camaro with a 383 Stroker and an F2 ProCharger, making pretty large HP and boost. His user name here in the forum is sc68z28 and he's quite knowledgeable. Pretty quick too, running low 9's with his Camaro. Send him a msg and ask him about his experience with the water/methanol stuff.

Other than the Snows option the only other thing I could suggest would be to convert to E85, the pump gas/methanol mix. I *think* you can convert standard carbs to E85, running much larger jetting and different air bleeds. A number of guys have done that running higher compression (or boost) on the street. It supposedly produces more power, is a lot better about controlling detonation and produces far less heat. You should be able to find a lot of information on that in various forums. I know some of the guys here run that stuff too.

The downside to the E85 thing would be the availability of fuel though I've never looked for it before.