You and your ride... Post it here get to know everyone...

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

You and your ride... Post it here get to know everyone...

#1 Post by John_Heard » Fri May 13, 2005 11:40 am

Let's get to know everyone on the board a little better...

I'll start - My name is John Heard, I'm the guy that runs this site. I've got a wonderful wife and two kids, Justin who will be 16 soon (watch out). and Savannah who is going to school at K-State.

I race a 1971 Nova in MAKO Real Street Class, that's a organization that runs in Oklahoma and Missouri right now, first year for it. My Nova is still apart from all the changes I made to it over the winter. I'm right in the middle of rebuilding the big block in it.

Here's a picture a friend took last summer..

amature

#2 Post by amature » Fri May 13, 2005 1:13 pm

I'm Greg Carlsen from Spokane, WA.

I'm still in my first year of marriage and almost a full year into our new house. As such, my poor car has taken a back seat.

It is a 67 RS/SS sporting a nasty black primer and looks... well... like a primer black camaro. :p Runs a 540 BBC w/a wee bit of nitrous through a glide and out to a dana 60. I drive it around for fun and take it out to the track occasionaly. Best time so far is 8.917. Then end of last year we finally started to get the thing to 60', so hopefully after it gets going this year, it will see some 8.80s with it's current tune. Then we'll go either bigger jets or throw some fogger nozzles in the carb spacer.
- Greg

Craig W.

#3 Post by Craig W. » Fri May 13, 2005 2:27 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Craig Watson from Columbia, Kentucky. I'm a 31 year old Mechanical Engineer working in the pump industry. I've been married 10 years and have one son, Timothy, who will be 8 next month.

I've had my '73 Nova since I was 17 and its progressed from daily driver to mostly heads-up race car with some street miles thrown in for good measure. I race with the Ohio Valley Outlaw Street Car series in Louisville as well as OSCA in KY/IN/OH in Outlaw 8.5/Mild Street. Basically the only real rules are minimum weight an 26x8.5" max tire. I'm in the middle of building a new motor that'll hopefully let me run at the front of the class (5.79 is the record right now). Last year's best pass was 6.48@106 on a 125 shot, but it wasn't setup to work with nitrous (6000 stall 8" converter, 5.13 gears, etc). The new combo is focusing on nitrous use, but I think it can still run high 9s on the motor if all goes as planned.

My wife has a '63 Chevy II convertible that we take to cruises and for Sunday drives. Love that little car. We've had it since '00 and I've had 4 motors in it already. I just can't leave well enough alone! I've got plans for a new 406 for it this winter.

My Dad and I are restifying his '57 Chevy Bel-Air and we're just about ready to fire it for the first time. Can't wait to get that car done and see Mom and Dad out enjoying it. 4.5 years in the making, but it should be nice when we're done with it. No bolt left unturned.

Here's a shot of my car from last summer:
Whose blue car is that in the background? :wink:

Here's a picture of my wife's car:
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Racer704

#4 Post by Racer704 » Fri May 13, 2005 11:09 pm

Hello all, my name is Johnny Barb.I am married to my great wife jenny for 2 years and we have a son Phillip 15. I have been racing for 30 years but I have been racing Pro Street since tha early 90's when it all began. I was at the first Orlando race in 93, went thru the traps with the wheels in the air and was # 3 with a 8.06 with the rear tires...lol

Jim McCallum and myself teamed up about 6 years ago and are running a 63 Vette Pro Mod. It has a one of a kind pulsed nitrous system that I helped desigh and develope.We have yet to log any great et's for Pro Mod but we have had alot of engine sealing issues.No excuses just fact, I call em how I see um..I think John will back me up on that one.

I have been playing with the funny gas alot of years and have run with some of the fastest Pro Mod nitrous guys for years.. maybe you have heard of Tommy The Undertaker Gray .. close friends for 15 years and while I was in the street ranks I helped him with his Pro Mod.

Well I hope i can be of some help.
Just ask....
Johnny B.
Johnny B.

David Lemmond

#5 Post by David Lemmond » Sat May 14, 2005 9:44 pm

Hi guy's. I'm 38. I've been married 13 years and have 2 girls, Ashlei, 7 and Kelsi, 2. I've been racing since '86 and doing the heads up street car stuff since '90. In '92 I managed to get into the top 10 at the first Hot Rod Magazine's Fastest Street Car Shootout.
I've been building cars since 1989.
David Lemmond's Race Shop
Somerville, Al.
256-778-8888
Specializing in 10.5 tire cars chassis, suspension, and components.
67-69 Camaro, 68-74 Nova Tubular A-arms.
62-67 Chevy II tubular A-arms.

novaz

agh no its Novaz

#6 Post by novaz » Mon May 16, 2005 7:59 pm

OK I forgot first time
my Name is Roy Dredge
live in Seattle WA
always dreamed of having a blown muscle car as a kid back in England ,was inspired by Craig and John so I set to on my 72ss last June
I am hoping to get the car finished this year and set up ready for next season 85% done now just a few time consumers of jobs left wiring,Boost cooler and getting the suspension and alignment set up properly
so here it is
72ss Nova
440 horse 350 mostly performer rpm stuff
pro-Systems 800 holley
stage 2 6-71
250 edelbrock plate system
msd-6-btm ignition
some old 9 sec distributor lol lol lol lol
hooker comp headers
th400
8"3800 stall ( yes i have been told its too small)
fraud 9" 3.70s
Bogart racing rims 10*15+3.5*15
275*60*15 MT RADIALS
frame connectors
comp engineering subframe located for rear shocks behind the axle
10PT Cage just in today ye ha
totaly gutted for the heck of it
hoping for 2600/2700#
oh yes it sits about 3" higher than an Escalade on stilts and I luv it
Royz :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by novaz on Fri May 20, 2005 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbutcher

#7 Post by chuckbutcher » Fri May 20, 2005 5:22 pm

I'm Chuck Butcher, 52 yrs, married for 15 yrs, a son & a stepson. I race my '62 ChevyII NHRA Div 6 Pro-bracket. Sealevel corrected it's a 12.75 daily driver on DOTs, full interior, full exhaust, IROC strut front-end, 3.42 posi.
Don't force that, son, use a bigger hammer.

DOTracer

#8 Post by DOTracer » Wed May 25, 2005 10:27 am

Hi, my name is Todd Geisler and live in Maryland. 35 years old, married 13 years, have two girls (one 2 yrs, other 5 yrs old). I'm currently a Mr. Mom till the girls are both in school.

I race a '79 Malibu stock suspension street/strip type car. it has a mild high compression 454, th400, 12 bolt w/4.10 gears and 275/60-15 M/T drag radial DOT tires. The car also has a full street exhaust out the back including tail pipes. The car is raced normally aspirated, foobraked and runs 10.20's @ 129 mph with a best 60' of 1.415 to date...still tuning the new engine combination.

Here's a shot from last season at Cecil County dragway taken by Matt & Mark at www.godragracing.com.

I have raced with the MSRA (Maryland Street Racing Assoc) in their DOT class for 3 or 4 years now...nice day one of the org basically. I'm also gonna run a second organization this season which is Rich Maitre's RAM Racing normally aspirated shootout in the drag radial class.

http://www.mdstreetracingassoc.com/

http://www.ramracing.us

Craig W.

#9 Post by Craig W. » Wed May 25, 2005 10:32 am

DOTracer wrote:Hi, my name is Todd Geisler and live in Maryland.

The car still looks great Todd. I remember reading about your car on the web 7-8 years ago and wishing my Nova could be that fast.

I see you're another all-motor guy. My heart is all-motor, but I've had to start "cheating" to keep up since I race in an anything-goes class. Hopefully I won't have to spray too much nitrous to compete for wins this year.

Good to have you on the board. Later.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

DOTracer

#10 Post by DOTracer » Wed May 25, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks for thw warm welcome Craig. Yea, I've had this thing for a while now and if you work on em and beat them long enough, they finally start to come around and run decent :wink: .

Yea, I have always been a N/A guy just because I have zero experience with nitrous, etc. I do race against a bunch of guys that run nitrous and I'm as close as ever to putting a system on. The DOT class is a 10.0 index and I'm still not very competetive in the 10.20-30 range. I'm gonna keep tweaking more this season and see how much I can gain in just N/A tuneup before putting a small kit on for two or three tenths.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this RAM Racing deal goes in drag radial. Will be nice racing against all motor guys and not worring about some guy squirting his kit to put a fender out on you.

Craig W.

#11 Post by Craig W. » Wed May 25, 2005 11:49 am

I ran most of last year all-motor and finally had enough of losing first round. I had more motor than pretty much anyone else in the class, but they were shooting 300+hp on top of their 500-550 hp motors. Hard to compete with that with a little over 600 hp. So I started playing with the nitrous late in the season.

My new motor will be as strong as last year's setup on nitrous, plus I'm building to allow a 400 shot. The 26x8.5" slicks that I have to run won't like that too much, so I'm only going to spray as much as I have to in order to get the job done.

Good luck this year. Sounds like some neat classes you run in. A few lobbied to get Outlaw 8.5 put on a 6.0 index, but that didn't happen. Now the class record is 5.78 and undoubtedly will drop even lower before the year is over.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Craig W.

#12 Post by Craig W. » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:39 am

Whoa! Now that's one gorgeous motor. Makes mine look like crap!
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

EvilB1Dart

#13 Post by EvilB1Dart » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:12 pm

Thanks for the comps! Its almost completed and ready to hit the track. THis is a cool site......

Wes
FAST MOPARS ROCK!

MOKANRACER

Wes,s HOT ROD

#14 Post by MOKANRACER » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:37 pm

Hey,ya gotta keep us informed on how you do with that bad boy. Sure is sweet...

jones_performance

#15 Post by jones_performance » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:47 pm

im kevin, live southern california. no kids or wife, just cars and toys. have put together a few motors for freinds cars and help out with my brothers stockers. im currently putting together a 82 camaro to run in the pacific street car association, probably the hot street class which is all motor. currently tuning a couple cars that are running brackets there.

heres my buddies car that i build the engine and trans for, still working on dialing it in.

the other freind im helping out, hes just getting started in drag racing and we've already picked up over a second with just some minor parts swapping and tuning.
Kevin