Do you like the new points system for NHRA?

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

racingj

Do you like the new points system for NHRA?

#1 Post by racingj » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:25 pm

I personality hate it! Capps should have won! I probably stand alone here when i say that im tired of Tony schumacher winning! His daddy said "I have the best driver around".... are you kidding me? You have the best crew chief in TF.

no_bite

i hate it

#2 Post by no_bite » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:36 am

i hate the new points system. nhra has definitely taken a set backward ! they were trying to create a 'playoff scenario", as if they were a sports team. (we need this like we need whit bazemore!)
dont be suprised next year when the teams start calculating the mathmatics, and stop racing at every meet and saving their resources.
....put my vote in the old points system !

no bite

racingj

#3 Post by racingj » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:06 pm

I was glad to see Whit go what a prick.

mmsports33

#4 Post by mmsports33 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:58 am

I think Dave Connolly got screwed! He wins 5 in a row....running away with the points....has one bad race...finishes 3rd......I don't have a problem with a "play off" type deal but man...I guy's got to have a little wiggle room. I think they should have took the top 8...reset the points and let 'em go.......

Bob West

#5 Post by Bob West » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 pm

I dont like it in Nascar and I dont like it in NHRA either. Our local track drops 3 points races per year, why in the hell should I make an effort to race points every damn weekend when they are not going to give me a refund for those 3 races. I dont think I'll ever run for points again.
72 Malibu-Nov. '08-1.329-3.995-6.280@106.94-9.988@131.62
best 60ft to date- 1.319
http://www.dragtimes.com/1972-Chevrolet ... -5251.html

scperf

#6 Post by scperf » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm not a fan of the play off system either. Fuller earned the championship!
Mark Nishwitz
Sin City Performance
ASE Master Tech.

pro70z28

#7 Post by pro70z28 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:36 pm

no

8sec71

#8 Post by 8sec71 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:14 pm

The "playoff" system would only work if the drivers who are in it only had to face each other...like in the NFL.

Just an example...When you have non title contenders to deal w/ as well, it just isn't fair if you lose a round to a non contender but another contender won just because his opponent was slower than yours. So, even though your run was better than the other contenders, and you would've beaten him had the two of ya been matched up, he moves on and your out...and out 20 points.

I agree that they should run it to the top 8 and then let them duke it out till the end. JMO...
71 Chevelle SS454: Steve Schmidt 632: 1094hp, Trans Specialties TH400, Moser 9", 29x13.5 Hoosier Quick Time Pro's

allstarhr

The Real Champs

#9 Post by allstarhr » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:05 pm

The Count Down may be to be a way to put more people in the seats, increase media coverage and increase TV viewers. Sincerely I hope so.
But Hot Rod Fuller would have been the Champ any year in NHRA history except this one. Wonder how CAT feels about that? According to Drag Racing Online's calculations, it's Robert Hight and not Ron Capps that would have won under the traditional points system in Funny Car. I bet Castrol is not happy at all that their sponsorship $$ lost to another oil company, Quakerstate..er "Q". NHRA would get even more publicity if Robert Hight, Eric Medlen's team mate had won their Countdown. He did win the traditional points way. And Hight would have won while missing the race following Eric Medlin's death! Capps would have come in 2nd under the traditional points system. (It would have been great seeing the Ace get a Championship.) Next, how do you think Summit feels with Jeg's getting the "Two Race World Championship" title when they ran a better full season? That has to hurt at the Summit board meetings. Brut leaving Capps probably had nothing to do with the Countdown, but who really knows. Hopefully the NHRA Countdown will ultimately prove to be better as I'm sure it's not going away.
However, the "Real Champs" deserve something. That's why we emailed Jeff Burk of dragracingonline.com with the idea of doing something for the "Real Champs". We don't want to and shouldn't take anything away from Tony, Tony and Jeg as they followed the program that was put in place before January 1 and won. They are the NHRA Countdown Champtions. But there should at least be some sort of recognition for the driver and teams that actually had the best season. What we are doing pales in comparison to what NHRA's title, money and awards will do for the Countdown winners. But these "Real Champ's" really deserve recognition for their seasons. Can you agree with that?