Fuel Cells & Plumbing Questions

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

#16 Post by John_Heard » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:15 pm

I think the foam is a good idea to keep the fuel from sloshing around. It would probably work without it but might be a good idea to go ahead and get some for it. I've heard people say that it's safer, don't really have a good idea why it would be safer but might be something that I'm not thinking about.

Summit/jegs probably sells the foam blocks to put in them or any circle track shop.

Your pump will have to work harder if you mount the filter up like you're describing. Another option would be to make a frame and mount the cell higher in the trunk and have everything above the trunk floor pan. I've seen a lot of cars setup that way and it looks good.

one_fast_camaro

#17 Post by one_fast_camaro » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:46 pm

my only issue with that is the fact that the people I bought the car from cut a rectangular hole for the sump in the trunk pan. I can turn the filter inlet to the bottom and run a 90 degree fitting on it and the pump and just keep it right along the bottom of the trunk floor. Do you think that will help or will I still have troubles.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#18 Post by John_Heard » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:45 pm

I've never tried it that way but don't see why it wouldn't work out ok. Probably not the best way to do it, but for all practical purposes I doubt the pump will notice that it's a inch or two higher than the sump. On mine I just cut out a hole in the trunk floor for the pump so that only the motor on the pump sticks up into the trunk, the inlet is just below the trunk floor. I would avoid 90 degree fittings if you can, but if you do have to use them use the sweeping 90's like AN fittings have vs the hard 90's like a pipe elbow

DriveWFO

#19 Post by DriveWFO » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:27 am

Beyond wrote:I've never tried it that way but don't see why it wouldn't work out ok. Probably not the best way to do it, but for all practical purposes I doubt the pump will notice that it's a inch or two higher than the sump. On mine I just cut out a hole in the trunk floor for the pump so that only the motor on the pump sticks up into the trunk, the inlet is just below the trunk floor. I would avoid 90 degree fittings if you can, but if you do have to use them use the sweeping 90's like AN fittings have vs the hard 90's like a pipe elbow
Can you post some pics of your fuel cell/pump setup (from in the trunk and under the car)?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#20 Post by John_Heard » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:31 am

Sure, but it'll be a while before I get a chance to get out in the garage and take some pictures. I don't have any current ones of how I have it setup now.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#21 Post by John_Heard » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:02 am

Roger aka Mokanracer emailed this pictures for you Dave...

DriveWFO

#22 Post by DriveWFO » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:30 am

Thanks Roger and John! The trunk floor pan in my 74 (Nova) isn't flat, so I wonder if I'll have to fab up some type of mount for the fuel cell???

MOKANRACER

Floor mount

#23 Post by MOKANRACER » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:17 pm

DriveWFO wrote:Thanks Roger and John! The trunk floor pan in my 74 (Nova) isn't flat, so I wonder if I'll have to fab up some type of mount for the fuel cell???
I had to do some cutting for clearance issues on my coil over mount,and just boxed around it when done. Also had to cut a hole and box around the sump to make it legal. No biggy,just purchased a sheet of 22 AWG mild steel and used a lot of it for floor and trunk floor patching any way. I know some make mounts coming off their rear down tubes of their cage.

DriveWFO

Re: Floor mount

#24 Post by DriveWFO » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:03 pm

MOKANRACER wrote:
DriveWFO wrote:Thanks Roger and John! The trunk floor pan in my 74 (Nova) isn't flat, so I wonder if I'll have to fab up some type of mount for the fuel cell???
I had to do some cutting for clearance issues on my coil over mount,and just boxed around it when done. Also had to cut a hole and box around the sump to make it legal. No biggy,just purchased a sheet of 22 AWG mild steel and used a lot of it for floor and trunk floor patching any way. I know some make mounts coming off their rear down tubes of their cage.
I need to get an IHRA rule book! Why did you have to box around the sump? Do you only have to do that if you're running a plastic fuel cell?

MOKANRACER

Re: Floor mount

#25 Post by MOKANRACER » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:43 pm

DriveWFO wrote:
MOKANRACER wrote:
I need to get an IHRA rule book! Why did you have to box around the sump? Do you only have to do that if you're running a plastic fuel cell?
( The NHRA Rule Book (2004) under general requirments ,states that any fuel cell that protrudes thru the floor must be covered with a min .024 steel,or .032 aluminum.) Thats why I built my dropped sump cover.Just made it part of the trunk floor. It doesnt specify fuel cell material at all.