window net installation

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

rustbucket

#16 Post by rustbucket » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:12 pm

heres what I ended up with. It swings down nicely with the hiem joints. Ive still got some cage to install, hope to complete this week.
Thanks for the help guys.
John, thanks, this site rules!
Attachments
net.jpg
tony 014.jpg
406sbc, powerglide, nitrous
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DssW5vc_t3k

Mike Peters

#17 Post by Mike Peters » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:20 pm

Anyone got any window net installation kits spotted that don't use a seat belt buckle? I see AJE offers one through Jeg's and wondered if anyone had any experience with these types? The seat belt buckle is a pretty common application.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

kyleracer

net

#18 Post by kyleracer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:45 am

Mike - I had one like the AJE before and did not like it. Too hard to attach with gloves on. Tried changing to an old latch-link seat belt type but that required 2 hands also. Ended up with reg. seat belt style. Rustbucket the way you have the bottom bar you might want to ask your local track inspector if it meets General Regulation 6:3 ! It says the bottom has the permanent attachment mount. This might not meet there reg.! :? They don't want the bottom to be able to just swing loose if you are in a hurry or just do not want to latch it up ! :shock: Why don't you just get an angled net from your local dirt track supplier. They are made to follow the lower bar with the angle and are only $15. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you a pic of my setup. :-)

Mike Peters

Re: net

#19 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:21 am

kyleracer wrote:Mike - I had one like the AJE before and did not like it. Too hard to attach with gloves on.
Thanks. Got me thinking one could be fabbed easily enough. I have a few ball lock pins to choose from that should be easy enough to use with gloves on. Like you said, have a net made that follows the angle of the door bar and a swing out rod on top and it should look pretty good with no tab hanging down to hit my head on. :x
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

sverbus

#20 Post by sverbus » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:56 am

What are the requirements for a window net?
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

kyleracer

net

#21 Post by kyleracer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:10 pm

NHRA lists window net under general regulation 6:3 as ribbon-type or SFI Spec 27.1 mesh-type window net as mandatory on any full-bodied car required by the rules to have a roll cage. From what I was told when I got the car cert. any factory built ribbon net is good. Just needs to be mounted on inside of cage and keep arms and hands in car to avoid contact with track surface or guardwall in case you try to drive on the roof :( .

sverbus

#22 Post by sverbus » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:48 pm

how fast does the car have to go in order to have one? Also how is the best to put in a rear fire wall cause of my fuel cell and battery being in the trunk? I almost got blackflagged for that last year when running the car, but then I just signed off on it not holding the track at fault so that I could race :)
'70 Nova
434 small block

rustbucket

#23 Post by rustbucket » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:25 pm

At the track I visit regularly I cant recall ever seeing a inspection. When you pull to the burnout box they look and see that your wearing a seatbelt and a helmet if you are faster than a 8.0 in the 8th. On the friday night t&t you may see 7 teenagers per car racing down the quarter in daddys lexus.
Im upgrading my cage for my benefiet.

By the way, when and why would you add x bars to the bars that go back into the trunk? I have the metal but dont want to add the extra weight if it werent helpful. thanks, tony

vegaracer

#24 Post by vegaracer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:36 pm

The x-bars are used to help stiffen the chassis to make rear suspension changes more predictable.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

TubbedTruck67

#25 Post by TubbedTruck67 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:11 am

rustbucket wrote:At the track I visit regularly I cant recall ever seeing a inspection. When you pull to the burnout box they look and see that your wearing a seatbelt and a helmet if you are faster than a 8.0 in the 8th. On the friday night t&t you may see 7 teenagers per car racing down the quarter in daddys lexus.
Im upgrading my cage for my benefiet.

By the way, when and why would you add x bars to the bars that go back into the trunk? I have the metal but dont want to add the extra weight if it werent helpful. thanks, tony
Are you serious? They dont do anything about there being more than just the driver in the car? That just doesnt seem right.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#26 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:25 am

At least they are checking for that. I've seen a lot of people go down the track with shorts, t-shirts, etc. in cars that should have had a firesuit on.

This does make me think of ol' Ronnie Dale getting kicked out of Tulsa last year because he made a pass wearing his shorts. The one where the starter waved him off and RD flipped him off and made the pass anyway. LOL that got him a nice little exit pass from Tulsa!

79 Camaro

#27 Post by 79 Camaro » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:18 pm

John_Heard wrote:At least they are checking for that. I've seen a lot of people go down the track with shorts, t-shirts, etc. in cars that should have had a firesuit on.

This does make me think of ol' Ronnie Dale getting kicked out of Tulsa last year because he made a pass wearing his shorts. The one where the starter waved him off and RD flipped him off and made the pass anyway. LOL that got him a nice little exit pass from Tulsa!
I remember hearing that! That is funny stuff right there! :finga: LOL!
"THE THROTTLE IS THE DEVIL" By Mr. Willis
"ALL I SEEN WAS HOOD!" By Mr. Heard
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:
Total Removal Contracting-Tim Rogers

rustbucket

#28 Post by rustbucket » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:05 pm

I am serious. last year a guy on a bike fell at the quarter wearing a t-shirt and blue jeans. He was probably going 135+. Try and imagen this. (His butt cheeks were torn off all exept a little at the bottom. His butt was folded down and resting on the backside of his knees. He took a chopper ride to the hospital. Now they require a leather jacket and helmet for bike riders. Blue jeans and tennis shoes still allowed. I shutter when they pull up to the line now.

sverbus

#29 Post by sverbus » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:20 pm

That's not only the tracks fault but these guys that do this type of stuff must make their momma's real proud to be such intellectuals..... /boggle
'70 Nova
434 small block

ERV JR

#30 Post by ERV JR » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:13 pm

Back when Carlsbad was still open out here it was the same way, pay pull in and make a pass, then if you were fast they might come over and talk to you. The worst thing is that the guy next you could kill you