window net installation

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

rustbucket

window net installation

#1 Post by rustbucket » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Does anybody have any pictures of there window net installation? Ive got a funny car conversion roll cage (wrap around head) and am having trouble figuring out the best way to mount the net. The kit has very crappy instructions.
The top has the seatbelt type latch but the bottom isnt going to be very convienant to disconnect.
Thanks alot, tony
406sbc, powerglide, nitrous
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DssW5vc_t3k

ERV JR

#2 Post by ERV JR » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:49 pm

I dont have pics, but i weled a tab to the door bar then connected a nylon type strap with a push lock type clip found on a bike helmet or fanny pack, then i connected the other side with a strap to the lower window net bar ,.So you clip the top in the seat belp buckle and then clip the bottom the same way

rustbucket

#3 Post by rustbucket » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:20 pm

if the corners of the net were fastened securly, would the net bars have to be used? Im thinking if I were upside down and on fire, The difficulty getting my fat ass out fast!
Maybe ive seen to many of those amazing video's on tv.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:46 pm

I know on mine I'm using a cable at the bottom to fasten the forward part of the net. That thing is a pain in the butt, in fact that's one of those things I had forgot I was going to change this winter. What happens is the cable tends to get tangled and is hard to undo when you're all strapped in. I'd suggest mounting the lower section of the net solid at each end, a pivot at the top rear and the seat belt buckle at the top front. In most cases that will take a custom size net to fit your bars. Stroud makes them, you just send them your pattern.

vegaracer

#5 Post by vegaracer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:15 pm

The one in my car is the same as John described. I used a heim rod end at the top back and a seat belt buckle at the top front. Solid rod through the bottom. My net is a Chassis Engineering one, part #4032BK. The bottom angle matched the angle of my one door bar perfectly.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

FARRIGNO

#6 Post by FARRIGNO » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:08 pm

John_Heard wrote:I know on mine I'm using a cable at the bottom to fasten the forward part of the net. That thing is a pain in the butt, in fact that's one of those things I had forgot I was going to change this winter. What happens is the cable tends to get tangled and is hard to undo when you're all strapped in. I'd suggest mounting the lower section of the net solid at each end, a pivot at the top rear and the seat belt buckle at the top front. In most cases that will take a custom size net to fit your bars. Stroud makes them, you just send them your pattern.
x2 mine is set up the same way with the cable, and gets tangled up all the time.guess its gonna be one more thing to do over the winter :roll:
IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

rustbucket

#7 Post by rustbucket » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:30 pm

my install kit uses a solid rod with pins on each end.
Im looking for a faster way to get in and out of the car than screwing with those pins. the hiem joint on the top sounds like a good idea.

kyleracer

net

#8 Post by kyleracer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:29 pm

Mine is as discribed by John with the heim end. Works great to swing up into place even after being strapped in. Also just falls back out of the way when released. You can only latch them from the top by rule because drivers were just dropping the net down and not latching them when you were allowed latching at the bottom. Got mine from Vanishing point race cars. Can send pic . :-)

rustbucket

#9 Post by rustbucket » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:25 pm

Do you mean the bottom rod is mounted so its either a pain in the butt to get out of the car or you have to climb over it?
Its a stupid question I know, Im just trying to figure out the easiest way to do this.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:24 pm

I don't have a picture to show, but yeah you would have to climb over it but shouldn't be no big deal. Just make two tabs on the door bar that stick up a 1/2" or so for the rod to fit into.

ytnova

#11 Post by ytnova » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:53 am

I used heim ends on the top and bottom bars at the rear of the net. Then the front lower pulls up into a hook assembly with a buckle on the top. It totally swings out of the way.

rustbucket

#12 Post by rustbucket » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:57 pm

ive got it mocked up in place. top front has the buckle. upper and lower rear has hiem joints but the front lower bar needs about 8 inches to reach the front down tube. would it be better to extend it, or fasten it to the door bar with a bracket coming up to the net?
Attachments
ghkk.jpg

John_Heard
Site Admin

#13 Post by John_Heard » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:13 pm

That's why I have a cable on mine at the front...a bracket would be a pain crawling over. Since you've already got the net maybe extending it to reach the door bar would be better. On the other hand, being able to get out FAST is a good idea too, so keep that in mind. Perhaps something you could hook the front into would work ok, that way when you drop the top it would drop from the bottom too?

vegaracer

#14 Post by vegaracer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:11 am

I would just put a cable at the front of the lower bar. That way it drops down out of the way when you get out.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

Mike Peters

#15 Post by Mike Peters » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:20 am

rustbucket wrote:ive got it mocked up in place. top front has the buckle. upper and lower rear has hiem joints but the front lower bar needs about 8 inches to reach the front down tube. would it be better to extend it, or fasten it to the door bar with a bracket coming up to the net?
Maybe you could have the x-bar welded into your door bar and attach the bottom of the net to it? Car is safer, stiffer and makes window net installation easier. :wink: Custom window nets can be ordered too and since they are a "limited time" item, you can't get too attached to them anyway. :lol:
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"