Video Of Our Racing Season

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Jeff Chandler

#16 Post by Jeff Chandler » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:52 pm

I know of Mike Duffy, good friend of mine is a police officer in Oklahoma City and has Mike do work on his car. As for any comparisons to the guys car in the video is he's running an adder, totally different deal there. Running NA you have what you have and it's a very fine line between not enough and too much. The car has been a 1.24 60ft at 3530lbs but usually 1.26-1.28 is normal.

hsutton

#17 Post by hsutton » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:27 pm

Jeff Chandler wrote:I know of Mike Duffy, good friend of mine is a police officer in Oklahoma City and has Mike do work on his car. As for any comparisons to the guys car in the video is he's running an adder, totally different deal there. Running NA you have what you have and it's a very fine line between not enough and too much. The car has been a 1.24 60ft at 3530lbs but usually 1.26-1.28 is normal.
Yes Jeff, it is a power adder car. The reason i mentioned it was because this particular Mustang coupe has a Procharger and tons of torque, and has a monster converter that allow leaves above 5000 rpm, off a tranny brake. This car rarely puts any air under the tires and even on a real bad track it cuts 1.23-1.25 sixties with NO wheelstand. This coupe is a couple hundred pounds lighter than you but not standing up makes it appear to be real easy to launch. Duffy really has got ladder bars down pat. I've never seen any ladder bar cars that didn't want to wheelstand other than the ones that Duffy has set up. I'd bet he could find you a couple hundredths. This Mustang ran four runs at Mo-Kan and all were within a few hundreths of each other. Started off with a 5.31 @ 133, then the air got better an he then realed off a 5.29, 5.28 and finally a 5.27 @ 134 in the eighth. A real testament to his bars, on a track that is real hard to get down. The record before this race was a 5.31 @ 137+. If your like most successful racers a few hundreths are real hard to come by. All you guys have come to a point where a couple of hundreths is all that seperates the winners from the loosers. Look at Stanton, tries an old car ('70 Chevelle), looses a tenth and a half, goes back to a newer car.

Jeff Chandler

#18 Post by Jeff Chandler » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:09 pm

If your like most successful racers a few hundreths are real hard to come by. All you guys have come to a point where a couple of hundreths is all that seperates the winners from the loosers.
Your telling me. I just ordered a $4250.00 low drag center section from Dewco. He supplies most of the NHRA Pro Stockers with his units, the only difference in theirs and what he's sending me is the titainium spool which is $5000.00. I've worked with PTC on some low drag Powerglide stuff this winter and hoping we've found something there, something that will pick up some et and live.
As for Stanton, the aero was helped but having 11" less wheelbase helped out too.
You can never have enough help, if Duffy was ever at one of our races I'd love for him to watch my car. It's not that I had a car that wouldn't do anything but wheel stand, it was more a problem with me making some mistakes and not having enough runs(only 32 passes all year)to figure things out. Maybe this year I can minimize the mistakes and make those good runs when the air and track are really good.

hsutton

#19 Post by hsutton » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:10 pm

I've heard that the rear end you just got is giving the NHRA Pro Stock cars about .05-.06 hundreths. Your class is about where those guys were a couple of years ago, everybody is looking for a few hundreths. The aerodynamic difference between the late model Camaro and the old '70 Chevelle is about 90 h.p. at 160 mph. It won't produce much E.T. but in a close race it might be the difference between winning and loosing. That isn't many runs but you do have a good car for the class and the most powerful engine type as of right now. That old Chevelle sixty footed better than the Camaro (1.26 vs. 1.28) but was still much slower overall. Stanton's Camaro ran 8.90 @ 152.80 and weighed 3550 and the Chevelle ran 9.03 @ 147.80 at 3475 lbs. with exactly the same drivetrain. That is the apparent difference aerodynamics makes with all other factors out of the equation. What will happen if Wise puts his Olds engine into a slick car?

Jeff Chandler

#20 Post by Jeff Chandler » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:15 pm

I've been trying to get him to get a Mustang, it's probably the easiest thing to get down to the weight he can run. He asked me to keep an eye out for a nice roller, I think we will all be in some heat if he does that.