Need help with Holley Blue Pump

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Necessary Evil

Need help with Holley Blue Pump

#1 Post by Necessary Evil » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:30 pm

I need the expert `advise and help from everyone here. I took the Nova out for a ride today, and noticed the fuel pump is leaking. Whats weird is the pump is leaking from the backside of the fuel pump body. On the body of the fuel pump (back side) looks like a weep hole with a small bronze freeze out plug above the weep hole. The weep hole is spitting out fuel. What would cause this? I wiped off the fuel pump and tapped the fuel pump with a screw driver handle (while pump was on) a few times it slowed down the leak, but it still leaves a small puddle while running. What could cause this? What should i do to fix this? This reminds me of when a water pump leaks from the weep hole behind the pulley. dunno: dunno: dunno:
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_hWg1YbQJc0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_hWg1YbQJc0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Mick

Re: Need help with Holley Blue Pump

#2 Post by Mick » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:16 pm

SOUNDS LIKE A DIAIFRAM HAS RUPTERED .YOU CAN BUY REBUILD KITS FROM HOLLEY

Necessary Evil

#3 Post by Necessary Evil » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:33 pm

I don't see a diaphram listed for this pump in Jegs or Summit. I think only mechanical fuel pumps have diaphrams? :scratch: :scratch:

apacheracing

#4 Post by apacheracing » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Holley Blue pumps have what is like an impeller with 4 replaceable vanes that drive the fuel, and a small gasket that seals the plate of the bottom of the pump. When the vanes were, these pumps lwill have a drop in pressure. If its leaking,might be the gasket, or a loose fitting

waterdog

#5 Post by waterdog » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:08 pm

I know they used to sell rebuild kits, it had gaskets and maybe a screen. I think there is a seal above the impeller, which might be your problem and don't know if it is replacable. I had a blue pump with the same leak, figured it was time to upgrade. Walt. p.s. cool to see your car driving :thumb:
1970 Nova SS 3580lb, Shafiroff 434 na, 9.94@135.8

sc racing

#6 Post by sc racing » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:35 am

I rebuilt both my blue pumps this year.Part # 12-811 rotor and vane kit Part # 12-806 Check valve kit.

Necessary Evil

#7 Post by Necessary Evil » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:32 pm

Thanks for the information guys. Worse case maybe time to buy a better fuel pump.