WARNING - U.S. Postal Service

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Mike Peters

WARNING - U.S. Postal Service

#1 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:46 am

To all those sending items, please heed my warning and wish me luck on this one. I should have known better but, can't change the fact now.......

I needed to send my new Titan oil pump back to Titan as there was some miscommunication on the actual depth of the pan. So, since the U.S. Post Office was close by, I decided to let them deliver it back to Titan. I sent it 1st class and insured it for the proper amount. So, it's been a few days and I hadn't heard from Bob at Titan so, I call him. Nope. No pump has been received yet.... He asks me how I sent it and I said USPS. Well, he had a few "horror" stories to make me feel even worse about using them. As he got off the phone, he wished me luck. So, I started trying to trace the package using the supplied #. I couldn't get anything on the tracking system to provide me any info. So, I sent an e-mail and this is the reply I received -

Dear MIKE PETERS,

Thank you for contacting us about not being able to track label ID number, ###########

I apologize, but Insured Mail is not required to supply tracking information. We are not able to tell you where the item is or when it will be delivered.

The sender may file a claim if the item has not been delivered within 21 days of the mailing date. For your convenience, you can now go online to get information about filing domestic claims. Instructions and answers to frequently asked questions are currently available at the following link:

http://www.usps.com/insuranceclaims

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service®.

Insured Mail not required to provide tracking info?????? I guess if you want to track your items while using USPS, the best bet is to NOT insure them? Should have driven the extra miles and used another carrier........
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

supernova

Re: WARNING - U.S. Postal Service

#2 Post by supernova » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Been there done that! I us UPS only now. Sorry for your loss!!!!!!
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:23 pm

Ouch - well at least you had it insured if it's actually lost. Maybe they routed it through alaska or something?

I imagine tracking is an extra fee service.

Mike Peters

#4 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:37 pm

John_Heard wrote:Ouch - well at least you had it insured if it's actually lost.
Remember that check I mailed you? Did you ever get that? :scratch:

Can you imagine the tussle I'll have on my hands trying to turn in an insurance claim? All I've got to prove I sent it is this itty bitty slip of paper with no info on it other than for how much it cost me to ship it and how much it was insured for. Any one else ever have to submit a claim the USPS for a lost item? If so, how'd it go for you?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:43 pm

Mike Peters wrote: Remember that check I mailed you? Did you ever get that? :scratch:
No, I don't remember anything about that. I don't even remember why you were mailing me a check?

Mike Peters

#6 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:53 pm

John_Heard wrote: No, I don't remember anything about that. I don't even remember why you were mailing me a check?
Super Duper 1/2 price deal on the ultra smooth Toyo Free Rollers, wasn't it? You know, the ones I no longer have? :mrgreen: I paid you the next time you were in ICT. Lemme know if that thing ever shows up.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:13 pm

That was like 6 months ago or more? I forgot all about that, best I can recall I never did get it. If I did I would have cashed it then asked you what it was for ?? LOL

Mike Peters

#8 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:18 pm

John_Heard wrote:That was like 6 months ago or more? I forgot all about that, best I can recall I never did get it. If I did I would have cashed it then asked you what it was for ?? LOL
OK........I see how ya are........... :lol:

mytmouz

#9 Post by mytmouz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:57 pm

Mike Peters wrote:
John_Heard wrote:Ouch - well at least you had it insured if it's actually lost.
Remember that check I mailed you? Did you ever get that? :scratch:

Can you imagine the tussle I'll have on my hands trying to turn in an insurance claim? All I've got to prove I sent it is this itty bitty slip of paper with no info on it other than for how much it cost me to ship it and how much it was insured for. Any one else ever have to submit a claim the USPS for a lost item? If so, how'd it go for you?
To file a claim you must provide a copy of how much the item cost , ie, receipt. or they won't pay fir it no matter if it is insured. You will recieve a refund for the amount of the item cost, ie, if the reciept said $98.00 that is what you will recieven not a $150.00, if that is what you insured it for. You will also recieve a refund of your shipping, but not the cost of the insurance.

I have filed 2 claims for items shipped that were not recieved. One item was a grille I had that I shipped. Since I could not provide a reciept, all I recieved was shipping, so I was out the price I sold it for to the buyer. I had a recipt on the other item, it went as described, not for the full insured price...

And the USPS tracking only works after the item is delivered, that is when it is scanned...
Trucks are for haulin...

Mike Peters

#10 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:10 pm

mytmouz wrote: To file a claim you must provide a copy of how much the item cost , ie, receipt. or they won't pay fir it no matter if it is insured. You will recieve a refund for the amount of the item cost, ie, if the reciept said $98.00 that is what you will recieven not a $150.00, if that is what you insured it for. You will also recieve a refund of your shipping, but not the cost of the insurance.

I have filed 2 claims for items shipped that were not recieved. One item was a grille I had that I shipped. Since I could not provide a reciept, all I recieved was shipping, so I was out the price I sold it for to the buyer. I had a recipt on the other item, it went as described, not for the full insured price...

And the USPS tracking only works after the item is delivered, that is when it is scanned...
Thanks for the info. :thumb: That helps a bunch. I do have the original purchase receipt. I've still got a few days before I'm gonna get really worried but, this is an unsettling feeling. Next time, I'll just pass by the Post Office and do my shipping business elsewhere. USPS costs more and there's no tracking service unless you pay extra. :roll:

So, who's the fav Shipping Service for you guys? FedEx, Brown, DHL, etc...?

mytmouz

#11 Post by mytmouz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Unfortunately for me, it's the USPS, as the others are not close by... :oops:
Trucks are for haulin...

John_Heard
Site Admin

#12 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:53 pm

Don't even think about DHL - I'm not sure they even deliver in the US anymore, I believe they outsource everything to USPS?

Mike Peters

#13 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:43 am

Hallelujah!!!! The pump made it out Bob Sanders at Titan. Bob turned around and sent me the shortest pump he offers to try to work with this custom pan of mine. He said if that pump don't work, break out the hammer!!! :shock: Just wanted to give an update that the U.S. Postal Service did deliver. Kinda slow for First Class but, it did make it. I'll probably find a FedEX or UPS station next time though....... :thumb:

Michael

#14 Post by Michael » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:46 pm

It was a while ago, but I had even worse luck with UPS. Even on insured red-label parts, they would not replace them until they had been missing for 30 days!!! I was scrambling to get ready for a race, and had my new converter and firesuit pants (custom made Simpson) shipped to me red label. Both were lost in transit. The converter never showed up, and the fire pants showed up about 3 weeks later. The sender of the converter was eventually able to recover his cost, but not until well past 30 days.

Regards,
Michael
73 Vega S/G, 74 Vega Pro-ET, 92 GMC Typhoon, 73 Trans-Am 455

wikd69

#15 Post by wikd69 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:51 pm

I never use the US Postal service to ship packages - I can't stand to lick that many stamps - *blech*
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm