New 1/4 mile ET

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

ERV JR

Re: New 1/4 mile ET

#16 Post by ERV JR » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Craig W. wrote:Old set of plugs most likely. I cracked a couple plugs at the track a few weeks ago and only had some old ones to put in. It ran fine and I completely forgot about it until last weekend. I figure those two plugs are the culprit.

Thanks. It was nice to have a real 8-second timeslip, even if it doesn't show the car's true potential.

Before I run 1/4 mile again, I'm going to have to add a chute or rear discs. It was a challenge to stop at only 149 mph. The little drag brakes definitely don't stop as good as the slightly heavier pro street brakes I used to have on it. But saved 6 lbs! LOL
what brakes did you put on the front ? do you plan on testing on the radial more or running a slick ?

Craig W.

#17 Post by Craig W. » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:17 pm

They are Aerospace drag brakes. I had the Aerospace Pro Street brakes on it until this spring. I swapped to the drag rotors and took the spacers out of the calipers. 6 lbs lost as I recall.

I was just playing around on the radials since the 26x8.5s are too short for me to run 1/4 mile. All my real testing is on the 8.5s for 1/8th mile.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

ERV JR

#18 Post by ERV JR » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:14 am

Craig W. wrote:They are Aerospace drag brakes. I had the Aerospace Pro Street brakes on it until this spring. I swapped to the drag rotors and took the spacers out of the calipers. 6 lbs lost as I recall.

I was just playing around on the radials since the 26x8.5s are too short for me to run 1/4 mile. All my real testing is on the 8.5s for 1/8th mile.
Have you thought about running the 275 classes ? what size rim is the radial on ? i assume an 8, since you have a stock wheel well

Craig W.

#19 Post by Craig W. » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:17 am

There is no dedicated 275 radial class around here. They are legal at one track where I run Outlaw 8.5. People have tried it but the 8.5s so far have been faster. Plus, I like running the little tire and seeing people scratching their head, wondering how we go that fast on a tiny tire.

Yes, the 275s are on a 8" rim. They are a tight fit. The Hoosier 275s seem to be a little wider than other brands.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

ERV JR

#20 Post by ERV JR » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:01 am

Craig W. wrote:There is no dedicated 275 radial class around here. They are legal at one track where I run Outlaw 8.5. People have tried it but the 8.5s so far have been faster. Plus, I like running the little tire and seeing people scratching their head, wondering how we go that fast on a tiny tire.

Yes, the 275s are on a 8" rim. They are a tight fit. The Hoosier 275s seem to be a little wider than other brands.
Correct the Hoosier is a bit wider and a slight bit taller. Hell people have been 7.50's on a 275 out here but they are a spec tire and have alot of good stuff about the 8.5's . If the 8.5 class out here wasnt an Outlaw class I may consider it ,I dont have the bucks to hang with they will be bringing

Craig W.

#21 Post by Craig W. » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:15 am

The best 8.5 class here is slightly limited...not true outlaw. No foggers, single stage plate only, limited turbo and blower size, weights according to the combo, no blowers or turbos on big blocks, etc. The class is fast, but its remaining competitive for the most part. 5.40s for the winners most months this year. The same cars go .20s with the true outlaw rules. They'll be in the teens this year most likely.

The Texas guys have taken a different approach to the class. Its very wide open and they've got cars that were already in the 4s bolting on little tires. Here, its the entry level heads-up class and the faster class cars typically don't drop back to run it. That's how the class was dreamed up and how I prefer it.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

ERV JR

#22 Post by ERV JR » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:27 pm

Craig W. wrote:The best 8.5 class here is slightly limited...not true outlaw. No foggers, single stage plate only, limited turbo and blower size, weights according to the combo, no blowers or turbos on big blocks, etc. The class is fast, but its remaining competitive for the most part. 5.40s for the winners most months this year. The same cars go .20s with the true outlaw rules. They'll be in the teens this year most likely.

The Texas guys have taken a different approach to the class. Its very wide open and they've got cars that were already in the 4s bolting on little tires. Here, its the entry level heads-up class and the faster class cars typically don't drop back to run it. That's how the class was dreamed up and how I prefer it.
I dont undersatnd whay our entry level clas is a Limited 10.5 class that has already gone 8.50's in its first season,and now they are starting an 8.5 class and its an outlaw type class. I first thought it would be rule limited and be the entry level class but they decided 1/8 mile and pretty open rules . I figure some of the slower 275 guys could drop back and now you have cars going 5.00's

Craig W.

#23 Post by Craig W. » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:37 pm

They should take a look at the London Dragway rules or the old OSCA Mild Street rules. Fairly similar with a few important differences. The OSCA rules kept us in the 5.60 range until the Hoosier tire came out. Great tire but probably the worst thing to happen to 8.5 racing in my opinion. Now you can throw a ton of power at it and go low 5s. Someone will go 4.90s before long.

A few places don't allow you to drop back to 8.5 if you've entered 10.5, Pro Street, Outlaw, etc that year.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts