Looking for a deal on moly tubular a-arms for my Nova

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Craig W.

Looking for a deal on moly tubular a-arms for my Nova

#1 Post by Craig W. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Anyone a dealer for light weight tubular a-arms that would be interested in coming on-board as a sponsor for 2QuickNovas Racing? I need to drop some weight off the car to take advantage of a rules change but cash is a little tight right now. I can put you in touch with my other sponsors as references.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Blade

Re: Looking for a deal on moly tubular a-arms for my Nova

#2 Post by Blade » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:36 am

I got my front end from checkeredracing.com out of ohio. You can try them. They make front end kits. Rear end kits. etc.
1967 Camaro

Hey I gotta 9 sec car, in the 8th! lol

Jegs
Mike Curley Racing
Capital Raceway
Maryland International Raceway

Craig W.

#3 Post by Craig W. » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:11 am

How much weight did they save you? They don't mention them being moly tubing.

Thanks.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

DOTracer

#4 Post by DOTracer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:25 am

Craig W. wrote:How much weight did they save you? They don't mention them being moly tubing.

Thanks.
Looks like street rod Mustang II stuff to me, not what you want for a drag car. I also didn't see any direct replacement tubular a-arms, only the 2 x 3 subframes with the Mustang II suspension on it.

Craig, for what your doing, TRZ a-arms would be at the top of my list. I'd pay full list before putting anything lesser on for free.

If you really wanna drop some weight, look at the Smith Racecraft tubular subframe deal. Not cheap, but probably the best way to remove weight up front besides going to an aluminum block.

Craig W.

#5 Post by Craig W. » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:44 am

They show some specific Camaro/Nova a-arms but they appear to be the heavy ones more suited for improving handling.

The rules I race under prohibit entire subframes such as the Smith unit. Nice stuff for sure. Would be killer to have one.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

DOTracer

#6 Post by DOTracer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:47 am

Craig W. wrote:They show some specific Camaro/Nova a-arms but they appear to be the heavy ones more suited for improving handling.

The rules I race under prohibit entire subframes such as the Smith unit. Nice stuff for sure. Would be killer to have one.
Can you run coil overs in your class?

How much suspension travel does your car need to work properly?

Craig W.

#7 Post by Craig W. » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:31 pm

The rules are a bit vague about front coilovers and what subframe modifications are legal. So you can make an argument that front coilovers are legal.

I vary the amount of front travel based on track condition. Typically it likes 4-4.25" of travel. If the track is really good, I'll tighten it up a little more than that.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

DOTracer

#8 Post by DOTracer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Craig W. wrote:The rules are a bit vague about front coilovers and what subframe modifications are legal. So you can make an argument that front coilovers are legal.

I vary the amount of front travel based on track condition. Typically it likes 4-4.25" of travel. If the track is really good, I'll tighten it up a little more than that.
The reason I asked about the coil overs is they dropped 24 lbs off my car compared to the tall Moroso coil spring setup. This was apples to apples comparison using 4 corner digital scales.

I originally had TRZ Pro A-arms with the stock lower coil spring pocket, Moroso trick springs and Afco BNC shocks. I dropped it from a wheel stand and drove the shocks out through the bottom of the a-arms. I then replaced the lower a-arms with the TRZ coil over specific models and an Afco BNC shock, but this time mounted as a true coil over using a 10" spring. The a-arms were slightly lighter, but most of the weight difference was from the coil spring.

If you consider this route, verify the a-arm setup will give you the needed travel. Initially I only had 2 1/2" of extension travel and the car flat out did not work. After a year of fighting the car Mike at TRZ agreed to make me a custom set of a-arms which gave me 4 to 4 1/2" of travel which made all the difference and the car began to work again.

Do you currently have a R&P steering conversion? More weight to be saved as well if doing a-arms. You can also get billet aluminum steering arms and chromoly spindles, all of which helps knock some weight out and it all adds up (both weight loss and cost...LOL)

Craig W.

#9 Post by Craig W. » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:07 pm

I'd definitely need a setup that will give me some front end travel. 2.5" won't let me get the car off the line. But 24 lbs is exactly what I need! Great info.

Yes, I added a rack with billet steering arms last year. The spindles are stock.

Next time the engine is out, I'm going to cut the middle of the subframe out and weld in moly plate and tubing. Not sure how much weight that is worth but its got to be something.

I'm also thinking of doing some major trimming of the subframe out in front of the control arm mounts. With a fiberglass bumper, its not doing me much good anyway.

Thanks.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

DOTracer

#10 Post by DOTracer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Craig W. wrote:I'd definitely need a setup that will give me some front end travel. 2.5" won't let me get the car off the line. But 24 lbs is exactly what I need! Great info.

Yes, I added a rack with billet steering arms last year. The spindles are stock.

Next time the engine is out, I'm going to cut the middle of the subframe out and weld in moly plate and tubing. Not sure how much weight that is worth but its got to be something.

I'm also thinking of doing some major trimming of the subframe out in front of the control arm mounts. With a fiberglass bumper, its not doing me much good anyway.

Thanks.
BTW, the 24 lbs was just the coil overs weight loss, not including the weight loss from stock A-arms to the TRZ's (28 lbs loss).

EDIT:...these numbers are for a G-body, but the Nova/Camaro should be real close in terms of weight loss numbers.

Blade

#11 Post by Blade » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:31 am

Craig W. wrote:How much weight did they save you? They don't mention them being moly tubing.

Thanks.
Its all steel. Not sure hoenstly. I know with out the brakes on the kit you can pick it up alone.

I would be interested to learn how much a stock subframe weights for a camaro.
1967 Camaro

Hey I gotta 9 sec car, in the 8th! lol

Jegs
Mike Curley Racing
Capital Raceway
Maryland International Raceway

julven

#12 Post by julven » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:32 pm

I never weighted it all but with mine cut like this and TRZ arms,Rack,Aero brakes,Moroso springs and KONI shocks the guys that did the work said it was a around a 200lbs savings over stock with manual steering.

This may not be any help but an idea on cutting yours frt and center supports when you do.

Craig W.

#13 Post by Craig W. » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:57 pm

200lbs is a nice reduction. I plan on cutting the middle of my subframe this winter when the engine is out. I've got the 4130 tubing and plate sitting here ready to cut and weld.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts