Methanol maintenence for s/c dragster

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

barrymack

Methanol maintenence for s/c dragster

#1 Post by barrymack » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone on here has used methanol in their s/c dragster. I'll be storing it soon for the winter and want to know about draining the fuel cell and leaving it empty or drain it and run some gas through the tank, pump and all the lines. Any other tips will be greatly appreciated on maintenence on and off the track.
Thank you in advance.....Barry

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Methanol maintenence for s/c dragster

#2 Post by John_Heard » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:46 am

Lot of people drain them and fill the lines with gasoline for winter. I think the biggest problem occurs if the lines, fittings, etc are open to air when the corrosion is bad.

mcdn81olds

#3 Post by mcdn81olds » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:08 pm

We drain ours, flush with gas then pump a gallon of wd40 through the system, leaving some in the pump & lines. We also completely flush the carb then fill with wd 40.Start of season flush with gas then pour in the alky. Been doing this using the same pump & bypass fuel log for 6 or 7 years & corosion has not been a problem.

barrymack

#4 Post by barrymack » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Thank you for your advice. Have you heard of M2 additive from VP racing fuels, it's for methanol. I was going to do what you suggested but the tech guy said run the additive and don't put gas in the lines because it will rinse all the M2 out. I have taken the carb off to be taken apart and soak it in Marvel Mystery Oil. Any input on the above.
Thanks again ........Barry Windsor Ontario.

mcdn81olds

#5 Post by mcdn81olds » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:02 pm

I have no experience with m2. We've always used klotz which blends with gas also, so no worries of it rinsing off.

http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp ... uart&cat=3

barrymack

#6 Post by barrymack » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks for your input and advice, it is much appreciated. Like I said I just got the car and was only able to make 5 passes in it on 2 weekends. It ran 7.91@164 at Milan MI. I'm having a problem starting the car (my first Methanol engine) What is the proper way because from what I understand alky engines are hard to start cold. After the initial start up it starts great. I roll the egine over for about 5 seconds then turn the pump on for about 5 seconds, pump it twice, then hit the ignition switch. Do you or should you squirt any gas in the carb also. Again any advice is appreciated.
Barry yrrabmc@hotmail.com

Moparious Maximus

#7 Post by Moparious Maximus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:48 am

We are injected so we prime for every start, it takes another crew hand but it always fires.

In cold weather alky is hard to light, we prime with gas or a mix of gas/alcohol in really cold weather.

I would try giving it a little gas and see if that helps.
'63 Plymouth, Straight axle, Leaf springs, Drum brakes, 31x10.5wx15 Rears 3215lbs
Best time to date 7.99 @ 170 mph
572" Wedge 8-71 @ 28% OD, ALKY, Glide, Dana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-xzFWHtFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfyZSw59R_o

barrymack

#8 Post by barrymack » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks Mopar,
Will try that in the spring, I'm sure that will help. Great looking Mopar by the way.
Thanks........Barry

mcdn81olds

#9 Post by mcdn81olds » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:09 pm

We've always primed with gas for the first start up of the day.We prime with gas & spin it over with the ignition off , prime again & get it spinning then throw the ignition switch on, fires every time & don't kick back on the starter.

barrymack

#10 Post by barrymack » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:12 am

Hello 81olds,
When you say "prime" do you mean just squirt some gas into the top of the dominator, how much of a pause between squirting some more gas in it. I assume then you would get it spinning...turn the fuel pump on and then pump it and hit the ignition switch? Is that the correct order? You see my switches are all seperate.
Starter
Pump
Ignition.
Thanks 81olds! Barry

wikd69

#11 Post by wikd69 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:10 pm

I've got a friend here in Sacramento who runs a couple of blown alcohol funny cars, old style floppers. At the end of an event, before he even leaves the track, he has the fuel lines off and the injector system apart, flushing it with WD-40. He told me the alcohol leaves a talcum like deposit when it evaporates and ruins injectors, kills the barrel valve, etc.

Are there different flavors of alcohol fuels ?
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

mcdn81olds

#12 Post by mcdn81olds » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Barry
We squirt a little gas in each ventury spin it over to suck it in then imediatly sguirt a little more then get it spinning & flip the ignition switch. We just bump the fuel pump to make sure the bowls are full & leave it off until after the engine is running.
So it's:
Starter
Ignition
Fuel pump

Mike

barrymack

#13 Post by barrymack » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:31 pm

Mike,
Thanks for taking the time explaining the start up process. By the sounds of it I was giving it way too much methanol and that was probably my problem. Surely it will help if I follow your procedure.
Barry