DragStuff Nationals ????????????

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

supernova

DragStuff Nationals ????????????

#1 Post by supernova » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:51 pm

There has been some posting lately and in a earlier thread about having a get together next year of the DragStuff mambers. Maybe making it an annual event and call it the DragStuff Nationals. I had hit John up about a get together and he seemed good with it so I guess now is a good time to bring it up.

Lets make this thread the official DragSuff Nationals get together thread.

Who would be game for it, sound off and any ideas would helpful.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Hitchcock

Re: DragStuff Nationals ????????????

#2 Post by Hitchcock » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:51 pm

That would be the event I base my vacation time around. How does one coordinate this. Ill do anything I can to help.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

slightly tweeked

#3 Post by slightly tweeked » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:28 pm

supernova wrote:There has been some posting lately and in a earlier thread about having a get together next year of the DragStuff mambers. Maybe making it an annual event and call it the DragStuff Nationals. I had hit John up about a get together and he seemed good with it so I guess now is a good time to bring it up.

Lets make this thread the official DragSuff Nationals get together thread.

Who would be game for it, sound off and any ideas would helpful.
Where would this take place,East or West Coast???????????????
72 Nova
548 cu in,900hp
Turbo 400
5600 stall
Ford 9in,457 gears
3640 lbs,all steel car.except hood.
Runs low 9s in 1/4.High 5s in 1/8.

chpcamaro

#4 Post by chpcamaro » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:50 pm

i'm in but we should have everyone say were they are from to fine a happy medium for it.
vegas would be awesome but that would be to far for most.
i'm in california
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

Craig W.

#5 Post by Craig W. » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:11 pm

For the past couple of years, I've thought about inviting Dragstuff members to the Nova Listserv Gathering to spice up our race day and also meet more friends face to face.

I've put on the Nova Gathering for 12 years now. Its mostly about hanging out with people you chat with online but we always have a day/evening of drag racing. We have a bracket race to determine the Nova List's "Top Eliminator" and do a bunch of grudge racing. I've wanted to add a heads-up race for quite a while but there's just not enough of those cars (basically just John and I).

So would there be any interest in this group joining the Nova Listserv for part of the weekend? This coming year's Gathering will likely be pretty close to a lot of you. I'm looking into Arkansas if I can work out the details. I've found that the best attendance is in a state that touches the Mississippi River. We've been to Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Kansas, Texas and Ohio. Like I said previously, I'm looking at Arkansas but will also be considering Tennessee, Oklahoma and Indiana.

Melding the two groups together would be an interesting challenge. Since we're a small group usually, we do sight seeing, have a pot-luck picnic and do a lot of hanging out at the motel looking at each other's cars and shootin' the bull.

So would there be interest in this idea?
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

slightly tweeked

#6 Post by slightly tweeked » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:08 pm

Craig W. wrote:For the past couple of years, I've thought about inviting Dragstuff members to the Nova Listserv Gathering to spice up our race day and also meet more friends face to face.

I've put on the Nova Gathering for 12 years now. Its mostly about hanging out with people you chat with online but we always have a day/evening of drag racing. We have a bracket race to determine the Nova List's "Top Eliminator" and do a bunch of grudge racing. I've wanted to add a heads-up race for quite a while but there's just not enough of those cars (basically just John and I).

So would there be any interest in this group joining the Nova Listserv for part of the weekend? This coming year's Gathering will likely be pretty close to a lot of you. I'm looking into Arkansas if I can work out the details. I've found that the best attendance is in a state that touches the Mississippi River. We've been to Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Kansas, Texas and Ohio. Like I said previously, I'm looking at Arkansas but will also be considering Tennessee, Oklahoma and Indiana.

Melding the two groups together would be an interesting challenge. Since we're a small group usually, we do sight seeing, have a pot-luck picnic and do a lot of hanging out at the motel looking at each other's cars and shootin' the bull.

So would there be interest in this idea?
That would be a three day drive for some of us far west coast guys,Utah,Idaho,Nevada,California.....I dunno it`s a long way and sounds very expensive with the price of fuel.
72 Nova
548 cu in,900hp
Turbo 400
5600 stall
Ford 9in,457 gears
3640 lbs,all steel car.except hood.
Runs low 9s in 1/4.High 5s in 1/8.

Craig W.

#7 Post by Craig W. » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:27 pm

Yeah, its the same issue we face every year. About all you can do is move it around every year without getting so far in any direction that only 2-3 show up.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

chpcamaro

#8 Post by chpcamaro » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 pm

i hate to say it but i think texas is a close half way mark. chris is the lucky one now lol
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

Bruce69Camaro

#9 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:34 am

Midway for me would Kansas, so that means, John, Hitch, Tig, Mike P and all the others from Kansas get to put us up in their homes for the weekend.

Aren't you guys so lucky..... :thumb:

How long of a drive is it from PA to KS?

Seeing we were just informed my wife's job is in trouble (special needs class), I know unless you would have it at Maple Grove, I won't be able to make it. :cry:

It's a sad day when you hear that schools are cutting things out but yet they have enough money to go out and install three, astroturf soccer and football fields and our football team sucks worse then the Cowboys! :pissed:

Merry Christmas huh?
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:15 am

No matter where we have something like this, it's going to be a long ass pull for a least a portion of our members, no getting over that. I have to agree with Craig, the more centralized it is, the better participation we've had in the past. This is our traffic distribution, note I said traffic, not member counts. I don't have a quick way to post member counts in each states, perhaps we can rig something up though, but this will give you guys an idea.

Note: I do want to remind everyone, we do have a member that OWNS a Drag Strip in Springfield Missouri, so keep that in mind...

Craig W.

#11 Post by Craig W. » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:36 am

Ozark is a really nice track too. I enjoyed the Nova Gathering when it was there.

So are the darker colors the higher concentrations of traffic?
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

John_Heard
Site Admin

#12 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:52 am

Yes darker is more traffic. Note, this is site wide, not just the forum so it's going to be skewed towards racing states.

Bruce69Camaro

#13 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:27 am

Here's what I got so far....

Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

ytnova

#14 Post by ytnova » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:32 am

I would be interested, but I couldn't totally commit until something is a little more concrete, what time of year are you thinking? I am planning on doing some of power tour in early june which is heading up that way, what about then? I also think the middle of the country would yeild the best results for attendance. Worse comes to worse, I might fly out and get a rental just to meet some of you guys and hangout.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#15 Post by John_Heard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:06 am

Bruce - you're leaving out several hundred (or more) people that don't post, or that don't post often. We have a LOT of people that visit the forum, but don't post much.

For example, THIS is the Texas locations over the last 30 days