Titanium Zoomies????

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

MJFab

Titanium Zoomies????

#1 Post by MJFab » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:33 am

Just wondering, If most people are concerned with weight now adays and wanting to use .049 stainless zoomies, I dont see why someone wouldn't just go with a set of titanium zoomies and not have to worry about the extra maintenance and welding in between rounds? Has titanium been used in zoomies before? I want to put a set together if it would work. Let me know what I am missing here?
Brandon Page
Custom Zoomie Kits
Metal Jet Fabrications
info@metaljetfab.com
573-578-8229

wikd69

Re: Titanium Zoomies????

#2 Post by wikd69 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:30 pm

MJFab wrote:Just wondering, If most people are concerned with weight now adays and wanting to use .049 stainless zoomies, I dont see why someone wouldn't just go with a set of titanium zoomies and not have to worry about the extra maintenance and welding in between rounds? Has titanium been used in zoomies before? I want to put a set together if it would work. Let me know what I am missing here?
Isn't titanium pretty spendy ?
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:02 am

Not sure many of us here have used Zoomies, I do know they have issues and have seen em' fall off of a car before. Try asking the boys over at ProModZone.com, I'd bet they have some input.

MJFab

#4 Post by MJFab » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:48 am

Yes, titanium is pretty expensive. The stainless is pretty bad for cracking and breaking, but I thought if someone was to get the right grade of titanium that would last year after year with little to no maintenance, it might be worth the extra $. Another plus, they would be saving the extra weight. 10 lb. is a lot to some of the adrl guys. Just gauging intrest and input for now.! Thanks guys.
Brandon Page
Custom Zoomie Kits
Metal Jet Fabrications
info@metaljetfab.com
573-578-8229

wikd69

#5 Post by wikd69 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:45 pm

MJFab wrote:Yes, titanium is pretty expensive. The stainless is pretty bad for cracking and breaking, but I thought if someone was to get the right grade of titanium that would last year after year with little to no maintenance, it might be worth the extra $. Another plus, they would be saving the extra weight. 10 lb. is a lot to some of the adrl guys. Just gauging intrest and input for now.! Thanks guys.
And, as an additional bonus, you could tell everybody you own a set of titanium zoomies :thumb: :smt003 :smt003

Thats got lots of appeal all by itself :smt003
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

Moparious Maximus

#6 Post by Moparious Maximus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Ti zoomies should work fine as long as you can keep them on the short side. I think some of the TAD guys are doing it, not 100% on that though, I think some are using inconel too.

Like MJfab said, do your homework and buy the RIGHT alloy, one that is heat and vibration resistant. I think it would help if you double walled them like the funny car boys do, but if they do crack it will be a PITA to get back in there to fix them, and that adds weight.

Our zoomies are around 32" long in mild steel and they crack at least once a year, I want to build another set but I guess im in the same bind as you, what to make them out of? SS is pretty but I bet they would crack worse than the ones I have.
'63 Plymouth, Straight axle, Leaf springs, Drum brakes, 31x10.5wx15 Rears 3215lbs
Best time to date 7.99 @ 170 mph
572" Wedge 8-71 @ 28% OD, ALKY, Glide, Dana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-xzFWHtFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfyZSw59R_o