Universal Drag Racing Spare Wheel & Tire

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Universal Drag Racing Spare Wheel & Tire

#1 Post by John_Heard » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:03 am

Just started thinking about putting together 4 tires and wheels for the Hot Rod to roll around on while at the paint shop - Don't want to make a mess of my Bogarts. Anyway, got to thinking about this and remembered when I wrecked at Wichita, it took FOREVER to find a spare tire to put on the car so we could load it. Sooooo... Thinking about putting together 4 wheels and tires that will fit anything you'd likely find at the race track.

For example, lug patterns that are typical 4 1/2" and 4 3/4", width - skinny and small dia to fit front or rear, offsets to clear any brake rotor setup.

Anything else you guys can think of that would help make something like this universal fit? The idea being, if I haul a spare like this I want it to be able to fit other people's cars as well as mine in case someone needs one.

Bruce69Camaro

Re: Universal Drag Racing Spare Wheel & Tire

#2 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:28 am

Hey John,

Just like you described, you could use a wheel like the Draglite that has the dual bolt pattern, like a 15" x 5" that is still narrow enough for the front, but wide enough to use on the back and they come with offsets.

I thought at one time I had a Cragar wheel that was uni-lug, do they still make that? They oblonged the hole for the wheel stud.

Maybe get it solid filled so you don't have to worry about it going flat?
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:58 am

Don't think it needs to be wide, just needs to clear disc brake calipers of any type - maybe 16" wheels would work good of some sort?

Anyone know if you can pull a run flat spare donut type tire on a universal rim of some sort?

I'm looking for something el cheapo that we can junkyard source. Ideally would use chamfered type lug nuts instead of something special, one size fits all deal. You know what I'm saying? One of those deals where you can carry a spare, it uses regular lug nuts and you can carry some for 1/2-20, 7/16, etc. in a bag that will fit whatever you run across good enough to load in the trailer and roll around.

sc racing

#4 Post by sc racing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:29 am

Most temporay spares are single bolt pattern (intended to fit the car they came in only) and use conical seat lug nuts.We tried using them on some shop cars to roll around but they never seem to fit brakes,hubs etc even the 16" ones didnt fit.Some aftermarket steel Rally wheels came with dual bolt pattern (Cragar,Wheel Vintiques) maybe you can find one at a swap meet or Craigslist?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:41 am

Hmm - how about the old school white wagon spoke wheels? Don't some of those have multiple bolt patterns?

Bruce69Camaro

#6 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:52 am

Most of those old school white spoked wheels that I mounted were made for one bolt pattern, not multi pattern.

I can tell you that my old Cragar SST's had the uni-lug bolt pattern but who know's if any of them are still around?

When you find a wheel/ tire take it to a farm supply place and get them to fill it solid. We used to use calcium but I"m sure there is something better now.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

vegaracer

#7 Post by vegaracer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:40 pm

Look for a spare out of a early 80's caprice. They were dual bolt pattern 16".
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:23 pm

Were they 4 1/2, 4 3/4 pattern or 4 3/4 and 5" ??

apacheracing

#9 Post by apacheracing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 pm

John, I think I can get a dual bolt pattern Chevy style rally that is 4-1/2 and 4-3/4 bolt pattern. I built wheels at the shop and we can make a wheel like this from 4 inches wide to 14 inches wide in a 15 inch. I will check into the Drag Stuff Ole Buddy plan discount, and see what we can do. If you will let me know how wide a wheel you need and what back space, we can build it for you. http://www.themopardude.com/New_Custom_2.html <<<<This will show Mopar wheels, but we do Chevy, Pontiac, 4ord, ect.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Appreciate the offer, but this is a real low buck junkyard type deal I'm looking for. I need to rig up 4 wheels and tires on my car for the paint shop but was just thinking about having a spare or two to take to the race track as well. Just trying to think what would be skinny enough to clear everything on most cars, and have a dual bolt pattern. I can skip the Ford bolt pattern, I just need 4 3/4, was just thinking it would be nice to have them fit both styles.

vegaracer

#11 Post by vegaracer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:01 pm

John_Heard wrote:Were they 4 1/2, 4 3/4 pattern or 4 3/4 and 5" ??
Likely the 4-3/4" and 5" now that I think about it a bit more.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146