It's time for a upgrade!

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

supernova

It's time for a upgrade!

#1 Post by supernova » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:29 am

It's time for the mini tub kit and slicks........ I'm working on this all weekend and will be posting pics along the way. I'm also fixing the rusty quarter panels.

Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Re: It's time for a upgrade!

#2 Post by 5448 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Good luck! How aggressive are you going to get? Just adding a strap of sheetmetal or all new tubs?
While you have the back seat and inner tubs out, now is a good time to get rid of that evap canister and large stamped bracket in the trunk as well! Not a huge weight savings, but every little bit helps.
Eric

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:03 pm

My 2 cents, don't half ass this, take her all the way as much clearance as you can get. You can thank me later...

3 mini-tubs on mine, always after another .25"..

supernova

#4 Post by supernova » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:25 pm

My mini tub kit will go 17". I don't think I'll need that much but yes, as wide as I can get it without cutting through the frame.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:44 pm

No, it won't go 17" cross IF the car sits low... if there is ANY of the original frame rail left that is. What's the rules in the class? notched frame ok? If so go full tubs, no stock outer and notch that frame ALL the way to the inside rail. Just trying to save ya headaches down the road as now is the time to get'r done.

DOTracer

#6 Post by DOTracer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:48 pm

John_Heard wrote:No, it won't go 17" cross IF the car sits low... if there is ANY of the original frame rail left that is. What's the rules in the class? notched frame ok? If so go full tubs, no stock outer and notch that frame ALL the way to the inside rail. Just trying to save ya headaches down the road as now is the time to get'r done.
X2 on getting rid of the stock outer wheel well. Put a steel 36" wheel tube and be done with it. Put it in as high as possible to give more room to lower the car. I got rid of the stock trunk hinges so I could put the tub in higher, went to a lift off trunk lid. Saved weight getting rid of the hinges, saved weight with the lift off trunk lid.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Stock Trunk Lid, hinges, springs & latch mount = 52 lbs ...

supernova

#8 Post by supernova » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Any body got any pictures?

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

supernova

#9 Post by supernova » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:59 pm

Oh and I am notching all the way to the inner frame. Still don't know about the outer wheel well. I have it but ?????

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

#10 Post by 5448 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:06 pm

I agree with getting the stock tub out of there. I'm in a slow, painful process of mini tubbing mine. From the inner wall of the frame to the quarter panel I've got about 15.5" of clearance.
I didn't realize just how poorly my car had been repaired by a previous owner until I took four layers of metal out of the drivers side tub :scratch: . So far I've removed 38 lbs of sheetmetal.

Plan to get my frame areas braced and boxed this weekend; looks like you will beat me on your project!

Here's a photo of one of the holes to fill, sooner than later! I'm installing 36" tubs, the rear of the tub will meet the floor about 1" behind the cut in the photo and puts the front of the tub about 1" farther forward than the stock tub. Still some more trimming to do.
Attachments
RH Wheel Opening.jpg

John_Heard
Site Admin

#11 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Sorry Chris, I don't have a bunch of photos of this as my chassis guy did the last go round. But mine has the full steel tubs in it and it is maxed out. I think we picked up at least .25 to .375 more clearance getting rid of the OEM outers at about 2" above the lip opening...point being it's worth it the higher up the qtr you go.

One little trick I found during mini-tub #2 to keep that cut line straight is to get an old wheel and weld some thing to it so you can swing the arc to measure and find high spots. Heck of a lot easier than trying to hold up a straight edge and measuring across.

supernova

#12 Post by supernova » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Ok Cool!

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

Bruce69Camaro

#13 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:46 am

Stupid question time....there was mention of notching the frame, wouldn't it be easier to put in new frame rails?

How can you notch a frame rail and make it equal to or stronger in strenght?

I would think this would be a major weak point and it would be better if you put in new frame rails.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#14 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:18 am

Bruce it's about class rules, many of the small tire classes are "stock suspension" and require stock frame rails - otherwise no back half 4 link or ladder bar cars. On Camaros and Novas in order to get a class legal tire/wheel combo under it you have to notch the frame to clear, which most classes allow. You're also allowed to beef the frame back up, but at least some portion of the original frame rail has to remain.

Yes it would make sense to allow replacement frame rails, BUT, give a racer an inch and he'll take a mile and before long the top dogs in the class will look more like a Pro Mod than a small tire doorslammer.

Bruce69Camaro

#15 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:54 am

I guess with the type of work we do here, and the type of repairs we have to do by code, I have a hard time thinking if you take away metal that you can repair it and it can be stronger then the original?

Because your putting heat to a specific area of the frame when you notch it and then more heat when you weld it /channel it and even more heat when you add extra bracing and that's a lot of heat in a small area.

Wow, I've been listening to our engineers way too much.......

Chris my vote is to just go the extra mile and tub it :thumb:
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch: