8sec71- Any track numbers yet?

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

hsutton

8sec71- Any track numbers yet?

#1 Post by hsutton » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:39 am

To 8sec71, I am dying of curiosity about your first trip to the track. Have you made the maiden voyage yet? If it has problems just realize most first outings rarely go without a hitch. Good luck and get back to us with the results.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:52 am

Anyone want to take bets on if it hooked or not?

Bob West

#3 Post by Bob West » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:59 pm

Hey Harold, when is flyin Brian gonna be back in business?

I bet it didnt hook John.
72 Malibu-Nov. '08-1.329-3.995-6.280@106.94-9.988@131.62
best 60ft to date- 1.319
http://www.dragtimes.com/1972-Chevrolet ... -5251.html

hsutton

#4 Post by hsutton » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:57 pm

Bob West wrote:Hey Harold, when is flyin Brian gonna be back in business?

I bet it didnt hook John.
I don't know. The transmission is an expensive piece so i'd guess next year from the looks of it right now. He still has that drive it on the street thing on his brain and i really can't afford to fix it for him anyhow. If he's going to street race it i don't want it fixed. Damned i wish he'd grow up sometime soon.

8sec71

#5 Post by 8sec71 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:58 am

Sorry to keep y'all hanging, but I won't be on a track for about a month or so. I just took the car to a shop yesterday to get headers made, motor/mid plates installed and an oil pan clearance problem straightened out (steering hits the new pan, arrrghh!). Then after it comes home from there, it will go to another shop to get the anti-roll bar installed and a few other little doodads taken care of. Then it's off to the track! I'll keep yaz posted.
71 Chevelle SS454: Steve Schmidt 632: 1094hp, Trans Specialties TH400, Moser 9", 29x13.5 Hoosier Quick Time Pro's

hsutton

#6 Post by hsutton » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:17 am

8sec71 wrote:Sorry to keep y'all hanging, but I won't be on a track for about a month or so. I just took the car to a shop yesterday to get headers made, motor/mid plates installed and an oil pan clearance problem straightened out (steering hits the new pan, arrrghh!). Then after it comes home from there, it will go to another shop to get the anti-roll bar installed and a few other little doodads taken care of. Then it's off to the track! I'll keep yaz posted.
There are some mounts made that raise the motor high enough to clear the steering components as my son had that same problem but found a cure without resorting to motor plates. You don't want all that extra stuff in there if at all possible. Lemons makes a real good header with two tubes going over the frame on both sides which then tuck up under the frame real tight so they never hit the ground and go on the motor one tube at a time, (check these out as they fit real good), then the collector goes on after all the tubes are in place. A slight bit of trimming was required on the driver's side upper "A" arm so the headers wouldn't get dented upon hard landings. My son's car has nitrous and used 2 1/4" stepped to 2 3/8" with a four inch collector. Did you get my P.M. about not using a spragless converter?

8sec71

#7 Post by 8sec71 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:11 pm

Yes I got your PM about the converter and i will certainly keep that in mind. Thanks. The guy that is making my headers is a genius with headers. It's almost all he does, he made my last set for the 454. Besides, I didn't know that anyone made headers for such a specific application like a Chevelle with a tall deck and raised exhaust port heads. Oh well.

That's what size he is building me also. We were gonna go with 2 3/8 to 2 1/2 stepped with 4 1/2 inch collectors as Schmidt recommended, but decided the smaller ones would be easier to fit and wouldn't really sacrifice much power if any at all.

As far as the motor plates, they where recommended to me my a few people to keep the motor from jumping out from under the hood w/ all the torque it makes. You are the 1st to say not to get them. Hmmm. I would like to do w/o them but I would rather be safe then sorry I guess. He is gonna modify the pan and raise the motor sightly to clear it.
71 Chevelle SS454: Steve Schmidt 632: 1094hp, Trans Specialties TH400, Moser 9", 29x13.5 Hoosier Quick Time Pro's

hsutton

#8 Post by hsutton » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:54 am

8sec71 wrote:Yes I got your PM about the converter and i will certainly keep that in mind. Thanks. The guy that is making my headers is a genius with headers. It's almost all he does, he made my last set for the 454. Besides, I didn't know that anyone made headers for such a specific application like a Chevelle with a tall deck and raised exhaust port heads. Oh well.

That's what size he is building me also. We were gonna go with 2 3/8 to 2 1/2 stepped with 4 1/2 inch collectors as Schmidt recommended, but decided the smaller ones would be easier to fit and wouldn't really sacrifice much power if any at all.

As far as the motor plates, they where recommended to me my a few people to keep the motor from jumping out from under the hood w/ all the torque it makes. You are the 1st to say not to get them. Hmmm. I would like to do w/o them but I would rather be safe then sorry I guess. He is gonna modify the pan and raise the motor sightly to clear it.
My son didn't even modify the pan, he just raised the motor about an inch or so and everything fit and fabricated a torque strap which he attached to the frame. The Lemons stepped headers work and fit perfectly. They do require trimming the lip on the driver side upper "A" frame with a sawsall as it turns up and will hit #5 header tube on the bottom side if the car comes down too hard from a wheelstand. Running two tubes over the frame makes everything fit much better and my son's primary tubes go on the engine one tube at a time then the collector slips on after all the primaries are on. Fabulous set of pipes and the size your putting on should make the motor a little more responsive than larger ones.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:06 am

I really like the motor plates, they make removing and installing the motor a lot easier I think. If you put them in make sure and build a lip at the bottom so that you can set the motor down before starting the bolts. That makes it real handy, on the downside it can be more difficult mounting the alternator, vacuum pump, etc.

8sec71

#10 Post by 8sec71 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:20 pm

How does Lemmonds make headers for such specific needs w/o having your car actually there for fitment? What I mean is, your sons exhaust ports sit like 1 1/2" or higher than a stock big block Chevelle due to the tall deck, raised exhaust port heads and raising the motor itself by an inch. Just curious as to how they know they will fit.

hsutton

#11 Post by hsutton » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:43 pm

8sec71 wrote:How does Lemmonds make headers for such specific needs w/o having your car actually there for fitment? What I mean is, your sons exhaust ports sit like 1 1/2" or higher than a stock big block Chevelle due to the tall deck, raised exhaust port heads and raising the motor itself by an inch. Just curious as to how they know they will fit.
Actually the deck is + .400 and the exhaust is + .350 for a total of + .750 and that is at an angle of 90 degrees off of vertical so it's not actually that much different. They are, however, pretty pricey as they were $1100 and cost $300 to coat. Boy is that Airborn coating fabulous, they almost looked chromed.

8sec71

#12 Post by 8sec71 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:33 pm

UPDATE:

Well it won't be long now. I finaly took the car for its maiden voyage down the street today. All was well with just a couple little glitches like a water pump leak, but nothing major. The motor really feels strong. Couldn't even think about putting it more than 1/4 throttle w/o just blowing the tires off in 1st or 2nd.

Next step is the anti-roll bar and then it is off the the track before the season is over.

All keep yaz updated.

shooked

#13 Post by shooked » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Harold what height motor mounts did you and Brian utilize? Transdapt are the highest I have found at a bit more than 2 1/4 at 2 9/32 total. My hamburger pan is 5" thick in the front and I am sure it will hit. Also, what info on the spragless converter do you have. I was told to use a spragless in applications over 800hp. Is this correct?

hsutton

#14 Post by hsutton » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:43 am

shooked wrote:Harold what height motor mounts did you and Brian utilize? Transdapt are the highest I have found at a bit more than 2 1/4 at 2 9/32 total. My hamburger pan is 5" thick in the front and I am sure it will hit. Also, what info on the spragless converter do you have. I was told to use a spragless in applications over 800hp. Is this correct?
I have a friend that did automatic transmissions for a living and he told me that a spragless converter wouldn't lock up down track. I'd get a 10" Neal Chance, Pro Torque or ATI with a sprag. They will hold anything you wish to put on them. Several cars here have 1400+ H.P. and have no trouble with torque converters

John_Heard
Site Admin

#15 Post by John_Heard » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:46 am

Maybe Craig Watson will share his experiences with a spragless, I know he's convinced now that it's not the way to go.