Getting very, very close

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Hitchcock

Getting very, very close

#1 Post by Hitchcock » Tue May 27, 2014 7:47 pm

Welp gang

The corvette is just damn near ready to go to the track for some shake down and systems testing. Tig welder has it at his shop right now. We ran into some clearance issues with the upper A arms and the forward bars off the A pillar bars. They hit the A arms a bit so I took it back to him to evaluate, and he is going to build a set of tubular uppers for it to gain the clearance we need to get the suspension out of bind. And he is going to build a front safety loop as well.

I bought a JW ultra bell today. And yesterday ordered a new driver seat, window net, master disconnect, RCI 5 pt harness, trans blanket, new fuel filter element, and a radiator puke tank. The only thing I can think I have left to order is my personal safety gear, a vacuum regulator, and a set of steel valve stems. My rear slicks are good enough to get about 50 passes of of them or so. But the side walls don't look awesome. So next order in a few weeks will be a new set of rear tires.

So it's been a long time coming. But it really is looking like this summer I will be starting to test the car out :shock: And I'm scared shitless! :smt003 So to any of you guys that are racing in Wichita any time this year. Please offer any advice on tuning and driving you can that will help. Because I don't know shit about either!
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

wikd69

Re: Getting very, very close

#2 Post by wikd69 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:08 am

Hitchcock wrote:Welp gang

The corvette is just damn near ready to go to the track for some shake down and systems testing. Tig welder has it at his shop right now. We ran into some clearance issues with the upper A arms and the forward bars off the A pillar bars. They hit the A arms a bit so I took it back to him to evaluate, and he is going to build a set of tubular uppers for it to gain the clearance we need to get the suspension out of bind. And he is going to build a front safety loop as well.

I bought a JW ultra bell today. And yesterday ordered a new driver seat, window net, master disconnect, RCI 5 pt harness, trans blanket, new fuel filter element, and a radiator puke tank. The only thing I can think I have left to order is my personal safety gear, a vacuum regulator, and a set of steel valve stems. My rear slicks are good enough to get about 50 passes of of them or so. But the side walls don't look awesome. So next order in a few weeks will be a new set of rear tires.

So it's been a long time coming. But it really is looking like this summer I will be starting to test the car out :shock: And I'm scared shitless! :smt003 So to any of you guys that are racing in Wichita any time this year. Please offer any advice on tuning and driving you can that will help. Because I don't know shit about either!
Geezo Hitch, you are cranking !!!! Good for you :thumb: :thumb:

As you know, we like pix so get us updated. Wish I was in the area I'd go pit for you. That'll be awesome first time out. :thumb: :smt003

Only advice I can offer up is to take things really slow... start with short hops to sort out the launch and suspension and then do half-track runs to make sure it stays in the groove. Work up to really flogging it. And after making a handful of launches go over the ride with a set of wrenches and double check everything. *Something* will loosen up or fall off. I found the goofiest things needed attention after runs. The vibration and such are just wahoo.

Most of all, have fun and make sure somebody is driving the video camera - we need vid :thumb: :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

ytnova

#3 Post by ytnova » Wed May 28, 2014 7:56 am

Very good hitch! We need video!
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

Hitchcock

#4 Post by Hitchcock » Wed May 28, 2014 9:07 am

I will get some videos and pics as soon as I have have some good updates. Harry, I am planning on taking it pretty easy on it for a while. I know I will be chasing bugs for a while. So the concentration will be on making sure it's smooth sailing. Then I will start easing my way into faster and faster passes.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Wed May 28, 2014 9:29 am

Good deal, sounds like things are progressing well. Ask around at the track for someone to help show you the ropes, I'm sure someone will step up and give you a hand getting your feet wet.