How difficult is it to learn to TIG?

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

BracketNova

Re: How difficult is it to learn to TIG?

#16 Post by BracketNova » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:06 pm

I have wanted to try tig as well. But, I thought I heard that you can shock yourself pretty good with one of those things. Any truth to that?
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

sc racing

#17 Post by sc racing » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:50 am

spaz109 wrote:I have wanted to try tig as well. But, I thought I heard that you can shock yourself pretty good with one of those things. Any truth to that?
YUP!!

Dave Koehler

#18 Post by Dave Koehler » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:02 am

ANYTHING that is passing electricity will offer the opportunity to get shocked.
I can't remember the last time I got buzzed and it was probably with the fill rod touching the weld puddle the same time as touching my bare arm (not smart, I know).
Heck I have been zapped more times by ignitions systems than anything else in my life.
In other words much ado about nothing.
Get a tig and open up your world to new possibilities.
Dave Koehler
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Master Software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know you are in a hurry"

BracketNova

#19 Post by BracketNova » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:12 pm

I've never zapped myself with my mig :-) . So the fill rod is energized when it is youching the puddle? I'm assuming it DOES have to touch the puddle right.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

Dave Koehler

#20 Post by Dave Koehler » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:43 pm

Actually, in my example, the fill rod probably touched the tungsten or close enough. I have filled bare handed without incident. I have laid my bare arm on the bench and gotten tickled before. But as I said, much ado about nothing. It always happens when you first start the puddle and generally that's not much juice so the smart thing to do is to stop and fix the problem, ie appropriate good grounding and clothing. Bad grounding is usually the culprit and the welder him or herself completes the circuit.

You want scary, forgive me Lord, shock?, turn on a dual coil msd 8 while holding on to two of the tester plugs for 5 seconds. Now, that will get your attention. I survived that but do not wish to repeat it.

Ever hear of anyone being electrocuted by the tig process? I haven't and you would think in this internet age of rampant inaccurate stories and conspiracy theories you would think there would be one on at least one on the welding forums.

I would think that if you held the ground in your bare hand and had a bare toe against your steel toed shoe and struck on arc on that steel you might be able to complete a killing circuit. Suicide or stupicide by tig I'm not sure which.

If you haven't gotten zapped by your mig yet you are not likely to be tickled by anything else...or.. you are not using it enough. :D

Bottom line is still the same, Electricity is being utilized and all the appropriate precautions and procedures must be adhered to. How's that for a caveat?
Dave Koehler
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Master Software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know you are in a hurry"

DOTracer

#21 Post by DOTracer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:33 pm

If you touch the filler rod to the tungsten you can get a tingle...no biggie.

Also, I wear heavier arc welding gloves, not thin single layer tig gloves. The reason for this is I keep my hands close to the torch tip and it offers the best control, but it does get hot trying to finish up a weld bead, so the thicker gloves give more comfort as it's getting hot.

invegarating

#22 Post by invegarating » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:27 pm

I am also a certified pipe welder,6010/7018 stick for mild steel and tig certified for stainless,and I taught myself both processes and it took alot longer to learn how to stick weld good than it did to TIG weld,with the TIG process you have complete control of the heat input so the only "trick" to it is to learn the mechanics of using your hands and foot togther,or they also offer thumb controls that velcro to the torch so the heat controller is your thumb instead of your foot....once you start TIG welding you will not want to use any other process...come on in the water is fine :D

sc racing

#23 Post by sc racing » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:46 am

Im signing up at the end of the month for a spring class at a local school for the basics, if you really want to learn find a class to go to its the only way I will learn. Ive had access to a tig for 4 years at work and still dont use it.

Jakethewelder

#24 Post by Jakethewelder » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:33 am

Moparious Maximus wrote:
DOTracer wrote:I will admit that while I am comfortable with my skill level on mild steel and chromoly, I have not yet had enough time practicing aluminum to even come close to getting the hang of it...quite difficult to do for me at least.

Aluminum is ALOT different that CM or mild steel but spend some time with it and it gets easier. The trick with Aluminum is getting it CLEAN I cant stress that enough, clean everything, including your filler rod, I use a SS wire brush and sandpaper when I have to (carefull with sandpaper if you get grit imbedded in the Auminum it will mess with you) then wipe it with Acetone, brake clean works too.
Be sure to do some research before using any products containing chemicals. Some brake cleaners contain a chemical when heated and turned into a gas can reach with the argon (gas in mig and tig) to create phosgene gas. This is my first post and I know this thread is old but the stuff can kill you.

supernova

#25 Post by supernova » Tue May 03, 2016 8:35 pm

I've been learning to tig weld for about 4 months now. There are lots of web sites that have help to learn. This is the best one I have found...
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/
I bought a Alpha tig AC/DC 200 for about $700.00 and have about $1200.00 in the whole set up. Did lots of research before buying it and have been very happy with it.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#26 Post by John_Heard » Wed May 04, 2016 12:23 am

Getting one of those is certainly on my wish list! You'll have to post up some pic's on your progress. I'm sure it's been an fun learning experience.