welding aluminum to steel

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

vegaracer

#16 Post by vegaracer » Thu May 08, 2008 9:06 pm

According to this, you can weld aluminum to steel:

Super Alloy 1 is a multi-metal, low temperature solder with a melting point of 350o. Its unique properties allow you to join copper, aluminum, brass, pot metal, white metal, zinc die cast, stainless, galvanized, pewter and steel in any combination. This rod allows you to join metals such as steel to aluminum, which welding instructors are STILL teaching can't be done.

http://www.muggyweld.com/
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

sc racing

#17 Post by sc racing » Thu May 08, 2008 9:43 pm

vegaracer wrote:According to this, you can weld aluminum to steel:

Super Alloy 1 is a multi-metal, low temperature solder with a melting point of 350o. Its unique properties allow you to join copper, aluminum, brass, pot metal, white metal, zinc die cast, stainless, galvanized, pewter and steel in any combination. This rod allows you to join metals such as steel to aluminum, which welding instructors are STILL teaching can't be done.

That is some awesome stuff.I really like the 4th picture where they welded some chicks hand to a piece of aluminum!!! I just orderd 200 sticks of the stuff!!!

mytmouz

#18 Post by mytmouz » Thu May 08, 2008 10:01 pm

Soldered wheel centers...
Trucks are for haulin...

JW

Re: welding aluminum to steel

#19 Post by JW » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:39 am

lrisner

Re:

#20 Post by lrisner » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:04 pm

This is SOLDERING, not welding. There is no way to WELD two different materials together.

You can join them thru various non-welding means, as in the soldering mentioned earlier. I have seen Copper and Steel joined many times thru Brazing as the brass will stick to both Steel and Coppper.

Let's cahnge this thread to how one could join Alum and Steeel, not WELD the two.

stroker1

Re:

#21 Post by stroker1 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:58 am

stroker1 wrote:I've seen people who pretended to weld steel and aluminum together. But actually, there was nothing holding the 2 parts together except the filler rod material. The 2 base metals where not fussed together. All that is doing is puddling filler rod to the steel, then puddling it to the aluminum. Then melting the filler together until it sticks. Very week!! :roll:

OK, I had to come back and edit this. I felt stupid after I thought about what I wrote. The company I work for makes electric motor components. We make carbon brushes, commutators, stators, assemblies for electric fan clutches, etc. We currently have a process developed to weld 2 little steel terminals to a copper ring. It is a compression welding machine. Under the right circumstances you can weld nonferrous metals to ferrous metals. But for all intent and purpose, you can't do much of a job of it.
As I said earlier, there is a method of welding ferrous and nonferrous metals. NOT soldering them. But this process is very different than what you guys are discussing. It involves allot of heat/amperage and pressure. And the electrodes are molybdenum and copper. Copper on the ferrous material side and moly on the nonferrous material side. But as for any conventional type welding it is impossible.

Now that process is for copper and zinc coated steel. As for aluminum and stainless, I know of no way to weld them. Only to solder them together. And soldering and welding are two totally different things. The process you are showing is not joining the 2 metals, but only holding them together. Like what was just said, it is not impossible to join them together. But that is not welding. It's like soldering or brazing with a welder.
'87 S10 stock suspension, Caltracs, 9" rearend, 1.82 Glide, 383 SBC,
Brodix Track1 Heads, 14:1 compression, 180 shot plate,
2" tube Hussler Headers, 1.38 60ft., 6.20 ET 1/8th, 109 MPH,
Still Tuning, more to come.

bvr421

#22 Post by bvr421 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:04 pm

I hooked up jumper cables the wrong way one time and welded my upper bridge to my teeth. Sparkly smile has lasted for years.
I know whats going on here now that I discovered that 2+2 = 3, NOT 5!

wikd69

#23 Post by wikd69 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:10 am

I once welded my checking account to the Internal Revenue Service. Took years to get it unstuck. Never get creative with taxes. :-)
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

moeraces

#24 Post by moeraces » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:49 pm

GOOD GREIF!!!!!!GIVE ME A BREAK ! PLEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSEEEE!!!!!!

apacheracing

#25 Post by apacheracing » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:36 pm

As far as the Crager wheels and others that are aluminum centers and steel outer shell, they have a steel insert cast into the center to weld to. Its not magic.

bracketracer

#26 Post by bracketracer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:58 am

I welded my mail box to a telephone pole :mrgreen: Used a special tig rod :scratch:

HPDRIFTER

#27 Post by HPDRIFTER » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Sure, you can weld steel to aluminum.
It's pretty much the same process as turning lead into gold, only with electricity.

MOKANRACER

#28 Post by MOKANRACER » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:34 pm

You guys have me rolling on the floor. I need,d a good laugh,thx..:) :-P

wikd69

#29 Post by wikd69 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:56 pm

MOKANRACER wrote:You guys have me rolling on the floor. I need,d a good laugh,thx..:) :-P
Didja like the one about me welding my checking account to the IRS ?

That'd be a lot funnier if it weren't true. That was a long time ago but I still have the scars.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

HPDRIFTER

#30 Post by HPDRIFTER » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:54 pm

Legend has it that, if you can find someone who turns lead into gold, he can probably also weld aluninum to steel.
Check your Yellow Pages for your local Alchemist.